• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,019 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Sarg said:

Nothing against the Blonde Phantom, but this cover is quite a letdown after the run of Schomburg masterpieces.

It is a startling change in style but I still love it. I passed on this book the first time I saw it on Metro's site but snagged it when it popped up a year later. I had kicked myself for a solid year for missing it the first time. Two other, lower grade, copies had shown up during that time and I missed both of them by seconds. The #1 is the book I was happiest to purchase, my wife bought it for me :luhv:, but the #2, the #8, and the #11 probably tie for 2nd place. Love these books. :) 

On 5/14/2020 at 10:04 PM, sagii said:
On 5/14/2020 at 8:32 PM, Badger said:

as3_cgc_front.thumb.JPG.1da35efb1d96e6f83f4d56780711594d.JPG

In the minority, i'm sure, but this was always my favorite in the run! 

I like it, too, but is the perspective a little off?  Seems like the guys on the sub are too small relative to the heroes. hm

On 5/14/2020 at 5:31 PM, Badger said:

667823293_all_select_2_cgc_front.thumb.jpg.a77fb9f8411241dd09fad8162190ce15.jpg

:x the 2 is rarely found with off white or better pages according to CGC. Of the All Selects, the 2 seems to suffer the most from the poorest interior wrap and edge issues. Great copy :x

Edited by Primetime

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

I like it, too, but is the perspective a little off?  Seems like the guys on the sub are too small relative to the heroes. hm

Schomburg and Timely frequently made the heroes slightly bigger or just completely out-sized bigger to attract the eye to them. My personal theory is they thought that this made the heroes stand out to the casual observer on the newsstand.

40 minutes ago, Badger said:

Schomburg and Timely frequently made the heroes slightly bigger or just completely out-sized bigger to attract the eye to them. My personal theory is they thought that this made the heroes stand out to the casual observer on the newsstand.

and the "big" heroes was a telling foreshadowing that they would win the war. What a way to build patriotism in the youth at that time.