• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steve Ditko...
1 1

238 posts in this topic

Ditko is certainly one of the Founding Fathers of Marvel Comics and his contributions to the medium are huge.

That being said, and with all due respect, does everybody posting in and reading this thread really LIKE his artwork? I never cared for it myself...give me Adams or Wrightson any day! (shrug)

Yes my favorite artist.Followed by Neal Adams.Wrightson is good most of the time.But not in my top 5.

Ditko is certainly one of the Founding Fathers of Marvel Comics and his contributions to the medium are huge.

That being said, and with all due respect, does everybody posting in and reading this thread really LIKE his artwork? I never cared for it myself...give me Adams or Wrightson any day! (shrug)

I really like Ditko. Adams and Wrightson are great too. It depends on the title. I would not want to see Wrightson working on Spidey. His style doesn't work for it. Overall, I think Ditko's ability to convey a message through art is better than almost anyone. While I really like Adams, I have to admit that on some of his X-Men stuff I've read, it wasn't as seamless to follow. I would be wondering what's going on in a panel, and how/why some panel is there. Ditko, while his artwork wasn't as detailed as some, I think he could convey a story better than most.

Is it true Ditko once passed a stop sign and got pulled over, the cop gave him the infraction and told him: "Sign here please.." Ditko looked up and said "You 're going to have to do better than that", perplexed, the policeman just looked towards the passenger side at his wife, she shrugged her shoulders and said "sorry, no autographs....no exceptions.." and he just put an X on the signature line...

Burn the witch!

Ditko is truly one of the giants of the Silver Age. His pre-hero Atlas work and his early Charlton work are revolutionary. With his pre-hero tales, he established the mood of the story and gave the characters depth.

His early Dr Strange and Spidey art put him on par with Kirby.

However, near the end of his run on Spidey and Doc, the art reminded me of some of his lackluster work at Charlton. I thought Ditko seemed to loose interest in the characters ...or wanted to start inserting some of his own beliefs into the stories that Marvel balked at.

At any rate, at his prime, Ditko was as good a storyteller as Kirby, Wood or Heck.

Bill

Steve Ditko is my favorite artist. His work from the early period of his career for Charlton is, IMO, his best. Take a look at these covers.

His first cover, THING #12

Thing12.jpg

THING #13

Thing13.jpg

THING #14

Thing14.jpg

THING #15

Thing15.jpg

THING #17

Thing17.jpg

Is it true Ditko once passed a stop sign and got pulled over, the cop gave him the infraction and told him: "Sign here please.." Ditko looked up and said "You 're going to have to do better than that", perplexed, the policeman just looked towards the passenger side at his wife, she shrugged her shoulders and said "sorry, no autographs....no exceptions.." and he just put an X on the signature line...

lol

sounds like a good idea hm

I'm thinking of getting a group of fans together to go to his house and publicly confront him until he signs a bunch of autographs.

If that fails, I'm thinking a paper sack full of dog with a crude drawing of spider-man on it might do the trick. No need to light it...one look at the spidey figure should send him into a fit of rage.

And you wonder why he shuns the spotlight. He created what he wanted and got what he wanted out of it. He doesn't owe anyone anything and despises those who believe that he does.

Not really. Although now I'm starting to wonder if my sarcasm was as obvious as I tried to make it seem.

His early work for Marvel is also great.

TALES TO ASTONISH #2

TalesToAstonish2.jpg

TALES OF SUSPENSE #2

TalesOfSuspense2.jpg

STRANGE WORLDS #2

StrangeWorlds2.jpg

When are you going to post the good books :jokealert:

Awesome collection.I think Designer Toast took pictures of my Daring love 1 .Look in the oregon board members meet thread.

Yes I love Ditko's artwork. Kirby, Ditko and Wood are my three favorite comic artists. Ever.

Edited by ucleben

Not real... Ditko uses his "S. Ditko" for signing original artwork or name-address headers. In the autographs I've seen, he almost always signs his full name in cursive followed by a date/year. Plus, the example above is just too neat, well-spaced, and overlabored with the serif on the "S". There are actually tell-tale characteristics that are missing that I would have expected from a real Ditko signature. This actually looks like an instance of Ditko's professional lettering copied from a comics page. Anyone familiar with Ditko's everyday penmanship knows that his signature is not that perfect and has idiosyncrasies.

Edited by rockman2008