• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

where can one score some good blank bristol board for con sketches?

10 posts in this topic

what types of bristol do you guys prefer for convention sketches?

Actually sometimes it's not what fans prefer, it's what artists prefer.

I ended up with several different types that I bring to cons and some artists prefer really smooth finishes, while others prefer really rough finishes.

One thing I did hear is that you should avoid the "cheap" blue line pro bristol. Blue Line has higher end boards and they are OK, but most artists don't like the cheap kind (my first purchase before I knew any better)

Malvin

Actually sometimes it's not what fans prefer, it's what artists prefer.

I ended up with several different types that I bring to cons and some artists prefer really smooth finishes, while others prefer really rough finishes.

One thing I did hear is that you should avoid the "cheap" blue line pro bristol. Blue Line has higher end boards and they are OK, but most artists don't like the cheap kind (my first purchase before I knew any better)

Malvin

very informative :) thx!

Bill Cole (google his name and you'll get his website, I think it's BCMYLAR.COM or something like that) is a great source for quality art paper as well as archival quality materials to store your art, such as mylars, acid free backing boards and bags - - it's always quite amusing to see some of the OA collectors and dealers out there spend hundreds of dollars if not thousands on artwork, and not go through the proper process, time and expense to protect their art. It costs less than $10 to protect any page iron clad, with a mylar and acid free board with a poly bag cover to protect the mylar from handling scratches as well as to avoid having any silverfish (which is a major problem in some geographic regions, as they feed off of old paper and love the scent and taste of comic art pages!) get to the pages or in the event of any dirt or moisture damages... a very small price to pay to protect your artwork - - putting it in a portfolio unbagged is really not good enough when it's still accessible by the top of the portfolio for the elements or accidents - - and so many dealers don't even use portfolios at the shows and have art in stacks unprotected. An odd way to treat a collectible...

Strathmore is probably the best...and you'll probably want to get vellum finish (rough) rather than plate finish (smooth). Ink tends to smear on the plate finish. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u