• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ian Levine - A Great Comic Collection??

76 posts in this topic

Yeah, don't sweat it. Search function is a pain in the arse. Easier to post a thread.

Everything has been talked about here ad nasuem. If everyone just used search function all the time, we'd barely have any threads.

And, in this case, if you had doen a search, you probably would've just read the threads and said nothing and the rest of us who lived thru Ian's many "adventures" wouldn't get the chance to reminisce. :cloud9:

For real. He was quite a character. He really pissed a lot of people off here. It was entertaining.

Thats a great site. his database is huge (as you would expect).

For the risk of being flamed, what did Ian do to wind up so many people?

(i always felt he was a bit arrogant when ive heard him talk about his music).

Thats a great site. his database is huge (as you would expect).

For the risk of being flamed, what did Ian do to wind up so many people?

(i always felt he was a bit arrogant when ive heard him talk about his music).

Like every fanboy - arrogant, selfcentered, selfserving, pompus.

Just like all of us. Except possibly he has more disposable income.

I remember hunting books for Ian both locally and on Ebay.....the most interesting thing was when I called a little hole in the wall shop about 30 miles from my house inquiring about certain books and the owner told me a guy from England had already called :o I was quite shocked lol

I'll give you the Coles notes version of his quest:

- If you tracked a book down for him you were held in the highest regard.

- If you tried to sell a book that he needed desperately but were asking "too much" according to Ian's take on market value you were lower than pond scum and usually he would start a thread and he would go on to berate that individual on these boards.

:whistle:

And....

If he thought you had more than one copy of a book he needed, you were hoarder and bad human being. Didn't matter if he was wrong (ask Al Stoltz)

And...

If he didn't have a book, it wasn't a real comic and didn't count. That wouldn't stop him from buying it when it became available, though.

And...

If you disagreed with him and happened to be a US citizen, you were a ignorant, bigoted, fascist homophobe. Yet he had no problem making generalizations about Americans (the US ones, anyway).

Stellar human being.

And of course the famous DTA Collectibles rant as DTA had a copy of New Adventure #26 listed or sale but it was over priced according to Ian. Only the rarest and hardest to find DC so really who could say what a "fair" price should have been but that didn't stop Ian from acting like a complete turd, it was pathetic.

- If you tried to sell a book that he needed desperately but were asking "too much" according to Ian's take on market value you were lower than pond scum and usually he would start a thread and he would go on to berate that individual on these boards.

And....

If he thought you had more than one copy of a book he needed, you were hoarder and bad human being. Didn't matter if he was wrong (ask Al Stoltz)

And...

If he didn't have a book, it wasn't a real comic and didn't count. That wouldn't stop him from buying it when it became available, though.

And...

If you disagreed with him and happened to be a US citizen, you were a ignorant, bigoted, fascist homophobe. Yet he had no problem making generalizations about Americans (the US ones, anyway).

Stellar human being.

And of course the famous DTA Collectibles rant as DTA had a copy of New Adventure #26 listed or sale but it was over priced according to Ian. Only the rarest and hardest to find DC so really who could say what a "fair" price should have been but that didn't stop Ian from acting like a complete turd, it was pathetic.

But didn't DTA raise (double?) his asking price after he found out about Ian, his collection, and the last comic he needed?

And....

And...

And...

Stellar human being.

But didn't DTA raise (double?) his asking price after he found out about Ian, his collection, and the last comic he needed?

Not sure its been a while? Maybe he just realized how rare the book was because of all the discussion on these boards? I think I have only seen one maybe two copies for sale since then? Ian always had this attitude that others should let their books go for his greater good and if they didn't he would go off like a complete jerk. I probably wouldn't even sell the book to him if it was me.

Poster: gladuchka99

Subject: Re: Ian Levine - A Great Comic Collection??

Originally Posted By: Mister_Comics

Quote:

Poster: gladuchka99

Very awesome collection however. 40 years! Who else has done this?

I have back in the early 60's. In lesser time. Even made the local news. But in reality the news beefed up the story. Fact was, not every comic was known back then. Before Overstreet. How could you know every comic that was ever printed. But I sure had a impressive closet filled solid from floor to ceiling with comics of every kind that I knew.

I believe I let Ian know of a couple of DC's he wasn't aware of back when he was hunting DC's. Thats the only contact I ever had with him.

MC

do you still have any of them?[/Quote]

Oh yes! Many survived over the years. You would be surprised.

I attended many,many Scooter Rallies back in the day, and Levine was invariably DJ'ing in a room somewhere in town.

Never knew we were subjected to some god-awful zen cos he wanted to buy a dust-minator pamphlet!!

Always charged too much on the door, and instead of popular Northern Soul tracks would play some drek he found in a Chicago crack-house the week before!

Some of us had ridden hundreds of miles to get to the town, and we were delighted when he finished his set.

Complete Wanker.

I remember in Great Yarmouth, Desmond Dekker got attacked on stage, and instead of helping 'protect' the "star", Levine ran for his life after getting a can of lager in the side of his head.

1982 I think that was.

Funny the things you remember. (shrug)