Marvel Westerns (Silver Age)
7 7

1,591 posts in this topic

17,933 posts

Half a dozen covers - not a lot, but a cool little subset. Too bad that Matt Baker didn't do any Atlas western covers as well ( unless there are some not in the GCD ).

I love this thread as I feel I've seen pretty much all the Atlas/Marvel pre-hero and superhero covers many times over, but am constantly seeing books for the first time here. I was never much of a western comics fan, but Atlas has far and away the best covers in the genre.

7,932 posts
I have the same problem. My first exposure was in Mad, and the illustration work he did for ads, magazines, posters, etc. When I read his EC stories, I struggle to take them seriously.

I have no problem taking Davis seriously. His E.C. war stuff cured me of the "Mad" syndrome.

2,762 posts

Wow, great cover that I don't think I've noticed before. That's one of the things I love about the Marvel Westerns... fun stuff that I haven't seen dozens of copies of.

A two day early Christmas gift.

A nice copy of Gunsmoke Western 50 that presents extremely well. OSPG mentioned Kirby art inside, but there is none. Still a great cover and book.

gunsmoke50.jpg

The Davis cover is a nice consolation for the lack of Kirby inside. Did he do any other Atlas covers?

9,046 posts

Did anyone here buy the Kid Colt 100 for $22.50 on eBay last night? I thought about as the price seemed pretty good.

1,149 posts

What was the condition of the Kid Colt 100?

Edited by crimson dynamo

9,046 posts

Looked to be a 2.0 give or take. It was low grade but affordable given the prices being asked lately.

LINK

Edited by BrianR

5,551 posts

Just to bump the thread. A modest KCO from the newsstand of June 1964.

KCO118FSep64.jpg

KCO118RSep64.jpg

I didn't see the glue/syrup stain until scanning a week or so after purchase (upper right back cover).

I bought this a couple of months ago and kept it out of my collection because I was kicking myself for being careless in examining the book. But as time passes, I am coming to like it more and more as the cover colours are fresh and unbelievably glossy -- the pages are white.

54,254 posts
I am coming to like it more and more as the cover colours are fresh and unbelievably glossy -- the pages are white.

They are indeed! Sharp looking book!

7,468 posts
Did anyone here buy the Kid Colt 100 for $22.50 on eBay last night? I thought about as the price seemed pretty good.

:o:o:o:o Are you kidding??? I missed it! UGHHHH!! Been looking for one too.... :cry:

6,706 posts

Here is another nice one from the same box but that is pretty much it..the rest of that box are Western readers.

GR6.jpg

7,932 posts

Are we to assume that this bargain was snatched up by you? If so, well done! Helluva deal!

7,468 posts
Are we to assume that this bargain was snatched up by you? If so, well done! Helluva deal!

(thumbs u :acclaim:

7,650 posts
He(Jack Davis) did at least a few other Atlas western interiors and covers:

Two Gun Kid, 45, 46, 47 - covers and stories

Rawhide Kid 33, 34, 35 - stories only

Gunsmoke Western 37, 50, 52, 54, 55 stories w/ covers on 50 and 54

Frontier Western 5 - story

Wyatt Earp 21, cover, 25 story

Plus stories in Battle 66 and 67.

Interesting! From Frontier Western 5:

01_davis_fronwest_05.jpg

(thumbs u

3,674 posts
Here is another nice one from the same box but that is pretty much it..the rest of that box are Western readers.

GR6.jpg

Cool Ghost Riders, Nick. :headbang:

6,706 posts

Cool Ghost Riders, Nick. :headbang:

Indeed...like a box of chocolate, you never know what you are going to get. I am boxing up things to move and clearing under the beds and closets...and among the "junks", there are a few nuggets.