• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Maxx #3 Black - Research
4 4

462 posts in this topic

Its tuff to say it's only worth $1 , $10 , $100 ,$1,000, $10,000, $100,000.00 especially when their is no price data available and that these books are not the run of the mill "VARIANT".

WTTB!

I'm not trying to belittle your books, but I'll say with certainty that none of them are worth 10k+.

And a different color foil on the cover sounds like a run of the mill variant to me.

There are only 10 copies, but there just aren't that many people that care. 95% of them are probably on these message boards reading this thread.

I do wish you luck in selling them if that's what you want to do. Putting a $20k price tag on them lets me know that you are not seriously wanting to sell them. They're your books and you can certainly do what you want with them.

Hello guys, I'm the owner of those Maxx 1/2 red and blues. I've been around this forum for awhile but this is my first post. I enjoy the constructed criticism. Let me pass on some info for those who are unaware of these gems. I own 6 of the 10 blue copies 4 graded 2 ungraded and 2 graded of the 10 red copies. I'm looking to grade the 2 blue in the future. These books are not like a typical variant that is usually produced and made available. The red and blue copies are a form of a variant since, the color on the covers differ from the mass produced original purple cover, the one that everyone and there mother has. These books are actually production samples/prototypes that were made for in house evaluation prior to the release and for the release of the final product.Ten of each color were made to decide on the final product, I guess they couldn't decide on a color and went with a mixture of both. I really don't know. Years ago on their website, Wizard sold many of their 1/2 issues and were looking to be done with all them, including the production samples. When I purchased the books, I was skeptical about them being only limited to ten copies as what was stated on Wizard's website, so I found some info at the Wizard booth at the Philly Con. They confirmed it(actually called one of the shamus brothers/owners) that these were production samples limited to 10 copies each. On value or worth its truly difficult to set an amount since there's no data on sales, really no information on the web at all. Trust me, I'm have been looking for years. GPA has nothing. With the exception of the few on the this forum, these production samples truly lack knowledge and awareness.

Its tuff to say it's only worth $1 , $10 , $100 ,$1,000, $10,000, $100,000.00 especially when their is no price data available and that these books are not the run of the mill "VARIANT". How do you put a price/value on a prototype. It's a unique item. That's the reason why I have the books set so high. It seems like everyone always looks at the BIN price and discerns the best offer option. I'm not saying the books are worth this set amount. When there's a lack of knowledge value or worth can be unclear. That is up to the collector to decide. I really don't know what their worth. That is the reason for the high prices.

In rarity for modern variants, I believe these to be on top. I can't think of any other book that comes close. Anyone!!! Maybe the Bloodshot #0 Platinum only 15 found possible up to 300 but that's an error book.

Ok not to come off as a *spoon* but as for Maxx Ashcans, don't get wrong their really cool collectibles and I remember years ago on the bay that I had opportunities galore to purchase these books for a song and a dance, no one seemed to want them at the time. Now, there the collectible to find.

These books were made to be sold to collectors,

I'm not here to bash or make fun of someone's desire of a certain collectible or bash what someone would pay or sell for a certain item because it all comes down to personal opinion the hobby thrives on subjectivity. I just want to state the facts and the information I have found pertaining to my books.

If anyone has any added info about these books I would definitely appreciate it.

Michael

Hi Fufat! Nice to have you here.

1. You're high.

2. Please pass some of that sweet, SWEET ganja you're tokin' on.

Look, I understand you have something to sell, which shades how you approach this. I get it. And what you have is legitimately rare, and legitimately desired by the collecting community.

However.

You need to understand that the difference between a test printing and a book that was actually released is pretty significant in the eyes of the collecting community.

Now...that said, there are people here who have stated that the books are worth $200-$500...which seems about right. But do you think people are going to even bother making a $200-$500 offer on a book listed for $20,000? And...here's the kicker...would you even entertain such an offer? With numerous non-sales at the $300-$350 price point, what makes you think this is worth substantially more?

Let's be clear: your books are NOT "variants." They are PROTOTYPES. They were not made to be sold to the public at ANY price, and since they were not offered, they were never released...until they were tossed up on the Wizard site a decade later.

Also...if I may, how much did you get these for from Wizard? This info is for scholastic purposes only, and will not be used to "drive down" the price. All of us here know...or should know...the value of the genuinely rare.

As to the ashcans...yes, they are Image ashcans...but they are unique to that "program", being (mostly) signed and (mostly) numbered, without a "regular" edition. As well, the severe limitations placed on the Yellows and Blacks, as well as #2 and #3 all colors, have created a substantial value for these books in the aftermarket.

You said you had "opportunities galore to buy all you wanted on the bay"...but I (and others) have been looking for these books for many years. Myself, since the late 90's when I discovered their existence. The ONLY Maxx Ashcan which has shown up with ANY regularity was #1 Blue. The rest have been sparse, at best. There have been approximately 7-9 sales of the #1 Black, about 5 sales of the #2 Black (including 3 of mine), and ONE sale (the sale mentioned here) of a #3 Black...that's going back 10+ years.

So, is it ok to assume you have a complete set of all 12...?

and all the drooling over the Black #3 they made 50 copies to sell and were at one time available for someone to purchase. We might have a difference in opinion but these are just ASHCANS!!! not a production sample. Of coarse I wouldn't mind having a set for myself, being a variant freak.

This may not be true. For some reason, the #3s did not achieve near the distribution that #1s, or even #2s did.

I believe there are more than the stated 5 or so people other than this forum that are Maxx and/or variant collectors. It's hard to perceive that this forum is the only place where comic book collectors reside.

For this kind of stuff? Doubtful. You would be surprised how tiny niche markets are, especially for uber rare items like the Maxx Ashcans and whatnot. When items don't show up for years...maybe never...people give up and move on to something that is attainable.

There are rarer coins that the 1804 $1 (15) and 1913 Liberty Nickel (5)...in fact, there are probably 20-30 US coins alone that are rarer. But they don't command the multi-million dollar prices that those two command because they are TOO rare. Take the 1822 $5. There are three pieces known. Three. Two of them are locked up in the Smithsonian. That makes only one available on the market. Should be worth $5M+, right? It's not. It's too rare to be obtainable, so people don't bother, even when it came up for sale in 1982...the last time it was for sale.

I noticed someone on the forum looking for a Cry For Dawn Horror-Con #3 variant willing to pay a hefty amount for a book that was available to the public at a convention and with a print run about 300-400 copies that has a xerox copy cover. For some that would seem crazy, a photocopy cover!!!, I for one don't think so, since that is what someone is willing to pay to obtain a hard to find collectible. And that issue is really tuff to find!!! I hope he finds it for his collection.

:hi:

That would be me. Got one?

Finally.....

"They're"

I saw you use BOTH "their" AND "there" in place of "they're", in the same paragraph! Impressive! But, it impedes the flow of the post, and makes it harder to understand.

(thumbs u

Hey Michael, thanks for the reply...I guess part of the issue for me is that it appears you're trying to manipulate the market for these. I asked in private on two separate occasions what the reserve is and what you'd be willing to sell unslabbed copies of either, just ballpark ideas and you couldn't give an answer to either. If you set absolutely absurd BINS, it shows you really aren't interested in selling and over time actual prospective buyers (like myself and others on the board) will just walk away. Maybe you are willing to let an auction run with lower reserve each time to guage interest, because there's no other way to tell about accurate value without clear sales. If you come out and say i'll let it run for a year and if none sell i'll lower the price or i'll try again later, I'd have more respect for you as the seller and it would maintain my interest.

These are quite the collectible and you have something that's ridiculously rare but to let's be honest here, these are published by Wizard! To say these are more valuable than a number 3 Maxx Black, published by Image with extra pages of unseen art and signed and numbered by Keith, I have to disagree. Collecting interest is unknown, think of the countless artists that suddenly become 'hot' posthumous. Only time will tell how the market settles for all of these items, you may be right...

(thumbs u

Ol' Spreads here is right...and he's the proud owner of a Maxx #2 Black CGC 8.5, highest graded of only 2. That was my copy, and I let it ride in an auction back in 2008 at 99 cents, just to see how much it would end. It sold for $510.

Now, could I get more than that for this book NOW? Maybe. I sold another for $310, and another with a NPB for $179. I have 8 left. Would I be willing to sell another for less than $500? No. But...if people REALLY want one, they know where to ask, and they have something to work with...and more importantly, I have a price that I am willing to accept for one (think somewhere between $1000-$1500.)

Like he said, if you're not even willing to come up with an asking price, afraid that you might "set the bar too low", no one is going to ever want these. And no, $20,000 is not anywhere within the same galaxy, sorry.

Hello spreads, thanks for the insight, I'm not trying to manipulate anything. I'm trying to protect my investment,

I don't think you know what that means.

That means you're not willing to sell them for less than YOU paid.

Are you trying to say you paid about $300 each for these....?

Hi thanks for your OPINIONS on the subject I really do enjoy your comments even the "you are high" one that was quite comical. All this talk is clearly subjective and very amusing. I'm not saying what I paid for them because it really doesn't matter what I paid for them I have them available for purchase if you want a copy for yourself good if you don't thats quite fine too. As for the high price it doesn't mean that's the price I would settle for but the other side of the coin I'm not looking to give them away either. All I can say is if you want the book submit an offer, if not that's fine too!!! It's up the the buyer to decide.

Keep up the good work making subjective points, I enjoy reading them!!!

Just a quick question...

What does everyone believe that the original, one-of-a-kind, hand-drawn by the artist cover for Maxx #1/2 would be worth?

Take that price, divide by 10. That's probably a fair guess on a comic with 10 copies.

Just a quick question...

What does everyone believe that the original, one-of-a-kind, hand-drawn by the artist cover for Maxx #1/2 would be worth?

Take that price, divide by 10. That's probably a fair guess on a comic with 10 copies.

That is a fair analogy. Original comic art covers and pages do a fraction of the asking price for these books.

Hi thanks for your OPINIONS on the subject I really do enjoy your comments even the "you are high" one that was quite comical. All this talk is clearly subjective and very amusing. I'm not saying what I paid for them because it really doesn't matter what I paid for them I have them available for purchase if you want a copy for yourself good if you don't thats quite fine too. As for the high price it doesn't mean that's the price I would settle for but the other side of the coin I'm not looking to give them away either. All I can say is if you want the book submit an offer, if not that's fine too!!! It's up the the buyer to decide.

Relax, grandma. Everyone realizes that you're trying to hype what you have, so you can squeeze the most you can get. No one has tried to diminish what you have (despite your clumsy attempts to try and diminish the ashcans, an argument no one here is buying.) What you have is genuinely rare, and genuinely neat, and worth about $200-$500, as stated in this thread.

You need to get a little perspective and realize that you're talking to probably the most dedicated CORE of Maxx collectors that exists and also understand that "$200-$500" for a prototype of a comic that normally sells for about 50 cents...if that...is a really good thing.

Saying something is "subjective" over and over again doesn't make it true.

Of course you're not going to say how much you paid for them (even though such documentation is VITAL in the collectible fields for establishing value, history, and whatnot) because, just like every other hypster, you're afraid someone will come back at you and say "well, you only paid such and such for it"...

Fair enough. It's not true, but such behavior is to be expected.

Wanna know what I paid for my eleven Maxx Blacks?

$1 each.

Does that change what I'm asking for them, or what I'd accept for them? Not one bit.

This was my favorite line in your post:

As for the high price it doesn't mean that's the price I would settle for

I'm sure it would be quite the arm twist for you to "settle" for $20K.

lol

(thumbs u

Just a quick question...

That is a fair analogy. Original comic art covers and pages do a fraction of the asking price for these books.

I'd say the original art to Maxx 1/2 would be about $5-7K. Albert Moy has the cover to Detective #656 for $4500, and the cover to MCP #99, the Byrne homage, for $8K.

If these were official, released books, I'd agree, but prototypes always do a bit less than official books.

hand-tools-list-important.jpg

I'm not saying if someone offered me $ 20,000 I wouldn't take it. Of coarse I would !!! I'm just not expecting it. I really would like to know where did you get the 200 - 500 price? Was it at the same place I found the $20,000 Because really they're both a made up number. There's no sales to base a true value. Just because you say its value is $200-$500 doesn't mean it's true. It seems to me that $200- $500 price range is what your willing to pay. Listen I really don't mind what people think about me when I don't disclose any info on what I paid for these books. It's not good business to do so. I mean really, what dealer would tell you what he paid for a book your looking at to buy. Obviously aside of yourself. Look I always like a good heated debate but we can go on and on and on. It's a safe bet we just have a difference of opinion.

I'm not saying if someone offered me $ 20,000 I wouldn't take it. Of coarse I would !!! I'm just not expecting it. I really would like to know where did you get the 200 - 500 price? Was it at the same place I found the $20,000 Because really they're both a made up number. There's no sales to base a true value. Just because you say its value is $200-$500 doesn't mean it's true. It seems to me that $200- $500 price range is what your willing to pay. Listen I really don't mind what people think about me when I don't disclose any info on what I paid for these books. It's not good business to do so. I mean really, what dealer would tell you what he paid for a book your looking at to buy. Obviously aside of yourself. Look I always like a good heated debate but we can go on and on and on. It's a safe bet we just have a difference of opinion.

Because last week you tried to sell a red copy in AUCTION, and there were 12 bids. The highest bid was $208.03, which did not meet your reserve.

You've officially set the market on this book. Congratulations. The prices are no longer made up.

I mean really, what dealer would tell you what he paid for a book your looking at to buy.

I know plenty of dealers in this and other industries that will tell me exactly what they paid for something I was looking to buy. The honest ones always tell me. The thing is that both I and the dealer know that the dealer is there to make a profit. It doesn't affect anything.

If I'm willing to pay $100 for an item, what difference does it make if the seller only paid $1 or paid $99 dollars? It doesn't matter, but in your case, the data would be helpful for the collecting community.

And how does disclosing the reserve price hurt your sales? It's stuff like that and these absolutely absurd 20k bins which just diminishes my desire for them. And as far as I know i'm the only person in the world (aside from maybe Keith himself :P) with all three blacks (2 away from a complete set), you really have to understand your target audience - it's the completest (participating here) chasing the set that are only going to spend real money for these...

Hi I just don't understand the need to know how much someone paid for an item. I know for me I could care less what that person paid. If I want a book I just buy it. What would I gain, maybe I'm missing something.

It doesn't matter, i knew how much RMA paid for his blacks long before I set a snipe for over $500 on ebay nearly two years ago...It's your elusiveness and hype that we're having an issue with.