• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will CGC ever do pulps?

11 posts in this topic

The retail prices of pulps are comparatively low compared to comic books. Also it would take longer to do a page count due to the fragile old paperstock. Quite easy to miss a text page when each pulp is so thick. Some times a chapter page with an illustration is spliced out of the pulp. :cry:

aka the Shadow or Doc Savage and if not why?

Overhang :gossip:

Probably the case - though most pulp overhang is crimped already, and has far less effect on the grade than if it were a comic. Though some titles like Weird Tales generally don't have an overhang. I don't see the page count being anymore of an issue than with squarebound comics, but overall thickness could be an issue as well - does CGC grade thicker trades?

aka the Shadow or Doc Savage and if not why?

1)Pulps are the same size as comics, but thicker: CGC would need a new holder, but SPS (shaken Pulp Syndrom) would be a big problem.

2)Pulp collecting community is maybe 5-10% the size of the comic collecting community.

3) Unevenly cut & stacked pages, as well as brittleness, would make page counting very time consuming.

4) The most valuable pulp (All-Story with first apearance of Tarzan) is worth $35,000 to 70,000 in todays market. There are probably no more than 25 copies around. Most other "expensive pulps are below $2,000 each. This means less income per book (% fee).

I could probably think of more reasons. If I were CGC, I would open up their magazine grading to include Time, Newsweek and other magazines that would fit their current magazine holders. They've recently included Playboy & Sports Illustrated. (shrug)

I had talked to Borock and Haspul at various times and both stated no, they will NEVER be graded. You could grade the 1940's Shadows and Docs and others wih no overhangs, but common sense dictates that you would destroy the overhangs on those pulps that have them, by putting them in the holder. Also, pulp grading is much different than comic book grading, then consider the aging of the inferior paper (brittleness) , and the page count. It would be a huge time consumption with a loss in profitablility for the CGC.

People who have collected pulps, even high end pulps and the CGC understand that this is a no-brainer, impossible. I would not want Shadow #1 in a holder.

Dwight

i guess with playboy and s.i., those are 2 of the most collected (pseudo) mainstream magazines out there (for 2 different reasons). with the other "adult" books outside of playboy, most probably aren't collected for the most part.

i do agree that whatever fits in the slab should be graded, be it, time, people, discover (with the peter bagge strips) anything, not just s.i. & pb.

j