• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Warning about complaining to silver-arce on ebay!
1 1

111 posts in this topic

Well this morning I was skimming through ebay before I headed off to work & saw something I was going to buy. Did the usual, logged into ebay & went to place a bid & oh, it says I'm blocked from buying? Quite strange I thought. Having a 100% positive feedback of over 1240 I thought it must be a mistake since I have bought from them before & there didn't seem to be a problem. So, I sent them a message, just asking, 'Hi, I saw an item you have for sale but I seem to be blocked from bidding can I ask why?'

This is the exact reply I got ...

'Hi, You complained about comic, as it had barcode on cover rather than bat symbol its not possible to check photos on every order and as you are 1 of only 2 in 10,000 plus who have mensioned this , its easier not to deal with you

Regards Anyway Darryl.

Now I remember what it was, was it a £500 comic that I complained about over grading? Did I pull a scam to get money back? nope.

I had bought something like Batman #416 for £2, when it was listed on ebay it showed the cover with the barcode box with a batman design. When the comic arrived it had a barcode design instead. Some of you might know that these Batmans from this era ran into 3rd & 4th printings. so the difference for the hardened collector is big when you are sent something different from what is listed. When I got the wrong comic, I did the right thing & emailed them & pointed out THEIR MISTAKE. A week or so went by & they sent me the right one & said sorry for their mistake.

so do you think they are right? should a customer be blocked from buying because of their mistake? Frankly I'm not bothered now, their grading wasn't really great, although it was an 'ebay nm'. Just to warn other collectors not to complain to them incase they take the hump & block you too! tossers eh? outstanding customer service! whats the loss of one more customer to them?

Edited by everlongcomics

Why you would even consider dealing with Daryl is beyond me. doh!

His reputation for sleaze has travelled across the ocean and he's pretty much reviled here, as well as throughout the UK. Try to find a thread regarding him screwing Jeff (NearMint) over a Batman #1. Especially enlightening is Daryl's own posts on the boards. :eek:

Sorry to hear that, but unfortunately it's no surprise. Silveracre has been discussed many times before on the boards. They are completely petty and will cheerfully screw you over to eke out a few more bucks...and it's unfortunate, as years ago I had considered them a worthwhile dealer and had spent some good money with them.

Why, here's an entertaining read... hm

(edit: Hello Nick! I see we were thinking along the same lines.) :hi:

He also tried to screw over Cryptkeeper59. He's done you a favour by blocking you from buying from him. You are the ^^

Consider yourself lucky in this exchange, is all I'd say. And send Flaming_Telepath your wantlist, you'll get better grading, better service, and he just might throw in a couple of 8x10 Kelly Brook glossies :thumbsup:

Silver-Acre is learning by blocking knowledgeable collectors and trying to deal with only people who do not know better. Classy.

And he must keep some kind of list. I have a couple dozen people on my blocked list, but I couldn't tell you why. I know several are because people here said they had problems with them.

I wish I found out about Silver Acre earlier. I bought about £200 worth of books from them before I found this forum. I'll never buy anything from then again or Quicksilver for that matter!

It's a shame some people have to learn the hard expensive way. They're both prize tossers (thumbs u

I think its weird that when some sellers get too big they forget the roots & reason they started selling in the first place, good grading appears to go out the door, along with decent pricing. Looks like alot of the main dealers go for the 'sod it someone will buy it someday'. They really shoot themselves in the foot as I would have saved up for the expensive stuff. Oh well no great loss for me,its them whos losing out. and anyway, I went back onto ebay & found the same comic, cheaper & it nm condition from the states! :banana:

Edited by everlongcomics

Frankly I'm a little surprised that you would put Quicksilver in this thread. I know Richard for a long time and would never put him in the same league as Darryl. In fact I wouldn't even put him in this thread.

Have either of you Quicksilver posters ever spoken to Richard about the book or books you weren't happy with.

Frankly I'm a little surprised that you would put Quicksilver in this thread. I know Richard for a long time and would never put him in the same league as Darryl. In fact I wouldn't even put him in this thread.

Have either of you Quicksilver posters ever spoken to Richard about the book or books you weren't happy with.

To be honest I've never personally dealt with Quicksilver but based my judgement on their prices, and a friend of mine who had a horror story with them.

I have to agree with the majority. The guy did you a favor.

If you list something on the 'Bay, it should be the 'exact' same product they send you as in the picture. The fact that the guy said that you were the problem and not himself (for making the mistake) makes me think the guy is nothing but trouble.

Having dealt with Richard, i would say that should not be mentioned in the same breath as Daryl, but his grading does leave a lot to be desired,

Having dealt with Richard, i would say that should not be mentioned in the same breath as Daryl, but his grading does leave a lot to be desired,

Indeed. I bought quite a few comics from in May and most were overgraded. I shan't order with him again.