• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Warning about complaining to silver-arce on ebay!
1 1

111 posts in this topic

I'm a pretty laid-back person, but I'd be very tempted to break silveracre's nose if I ever met him face to face.

It might help if you know how he looks :-)

This is Darryl

Darryl first started collecting comic books back in 1978; he had a small collection of about 500 comics, which he sold to a local shop in Leyton in late 1979.

His interest in comics was subsequently re-kindled in 1988, after a visit to a comic shop in Manchester. By late 1989 Darryl had already accumulated several thousand issues. He also attended his first comic mart, as a dealer, at the Griffin Bar Hotel in Leeds, in September of 1989.

Up until 1995, Darryl ran his business from a small warehouse in Pwllheli in Wales; he then moved to a larger warehouse situated in Chester, which enabled him to produce his first mail order catalogue.

In 1998 he bought an even larger warehouse in Chester, from which he still runs his business to this day, also employing five full-time staff. Darryl, together with his wife Melloney, still attends various comic marts up and down the country, and also runs a very successful mail order business through the Silver Acre catalogue and this very website.

The Silver Acre stock currently stands at around 900,000 comics.

If Darryl is Welsh, there's probably not much hope in chaging him...as the Welsh have a reputation for being very obstinate. I can say this because I, too, am Welsh (and Dutch, and Cherokee, and God knows what else) GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Frankly I'm a little surprised that you would put Quicksilver in this thread. I know Richard for a long time and would never put him in the same league as Darryl. In fact I wouldn't even put him in this thread.

Have either of you Quicksilver posters ever spoken to Richard about the book or books you weren't happy with.

Having dealt with Richard, i would say that should not be mentioned in the same breath as Daryl, but his grading does leave a lot to be desired,

Indeed. I bought quite a few comics from in May and most were overgraded. I shan't order with him again.

Bob, I've dealt with Richard and while it may be unfair to compare him to Darryl in terms of honesty, I've found his grading to be very bad. I bought a few lots of low/mid grade early SA and every book was consistently a full grade overgraded (FN+ = VG+). I even showed the bunch to FT who agreed with my opinion. Richard did refund me but wasn't happy about it.

I've since seen the grades he's given comics on ebay and it's convinced me that it wasn't a one off.

Furthermore a freind of mine visited the Quicksilver warehouse earlier in the year and told me that he didn't think the grading was at all accurate. Overall there is no question in my mind.

This does seem to be the consensus, nice guy but overgrades (shrug)

Cant this also be said about Ted Van Liew of Superworld ? Nice guy but overgrades.

I've been told in the past that Darryl actually worked very hard in attending lots of shows, setting up early, etc. This didn't make up for treating his customers like though. meh

i remember attending the London shows back in the late 80's early 90's when Daryl first came onto the scene. Back then he was definately not as bad as he is now, although he had all the signs that he was a heartless callous .

I remeber him at the Griffin shows in Leeds and i will have been there for his first in 89. Back then i just remeber he priced 'well' (by that i mean he was never the cheapest). hes a ****

How in the world does this guy stay in business :mad:

I bought a book off this guy once :blush:

I'll tell ya, with all the bad press he's gettin around here, I'll certainly steer clear :mad:

Another UK dealer with bad grading is East Coast Comics, also known as Rybac on ebay. I think the guys name is Richard Crane. I've only asked for a refund 3 times in my collecting career, 1 of them was Quicksilver and another was Rybac. I bought from him on ebay and at a show (before I could grade any good) and both were badly graded. Then a long time later I wanted a modern that I'd missed and he had it on ebay and even that was poor condition. Not impressed.

Search for "Rybac" in the forum... drbanner and i got problems with him... :(

Another UK dealer with bad grading is East Coast Comics, also known as Rybac on ebay. I think the guys name is Richard Crane. I've only asked for a refund 3 times in my collecting career, 1 of them was Quicksilver and another was Rybac. I bought from him on ebay and at a show (before I could grade any good) and both were badly graded. Then a long time later I wanted a modern that I'd missed and he had it on ebay and even that was poor condition. Not impressed.

Search for "Rybac" in the forum... drbanner and i got problems with him... :(

Did a search for the past year and all I got were the two posts in this thread. (shrug)

Don't be shy, do a search on the last ten years :baiting:

Aha, found it. At least it's not just me who thinks that he's an overgrading tool. (thumbs u

Aha, found it. At least it's not just me who thinks that he's an overgrading tool. (thumbs u

Now post the link for the rest of us lol

Now post the link for the rest of us lol

Please, I'm all thumbs when it comes to the search function. :P

I bought a Defenders # 1 off of him which when it arrived was a lot worse than it looked in the scan. Not only did the spine stress and general wear keep it from the advertised grade but there was a colour breaking score mark across the whole width of the book that didn't show in the scan and wasn't mentioned. When I contacted Rybac about it, he told me that it was a printing defect that didn't affect the grade and that it's hard getting a copy without a similar defect.

I've since owned three copies of the book and none have had that problem. meh