• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,883 posts in this topic

Laserdiscs will be red-hot in the next 2-3 yrs.

The market in Australia is slowly heating up. The problem,as always,was finding a replacement laser for the player.

Peeps should be collecting the discs, especially 'niche' films like the ones above.

What a great (future) score.

Some of the later Laserdiscs can go for over a couple thousand. LIke "The Cell" and "Tokyo Raiders".

I've think I've figured out what a couple of those Empire store displays are. But not too much luck on value

http://theswca.com/index.php?action=disp_item&item_id=19276

http://theswca.com/index.php?action=disp_item&item_id=38518

7 minutes ago, Rip said:

Some of the later Laserdiscs can go for over a couple thousand. LIke "The Cell" and "Tokyo Raiders".

I've think I've figured out what a couple of those Empire store displays are. But not too much luck on value

http://theswca.com/index.php?action=disp_item&item_id=19276

http://theswca.com/index.php?action=disp_item&item_id=38518

Really Tokyo raiders?  Where ebay?

4 hours ago, Beige said:

Laserdiscs will be red-hot in the next 2-3 yrs.

The market in Australia is slowly heating up. The problem,as always,was finding a replacement laser for the player.

Peeps should be collecting the discs, especially 'niche' films like the ones above.

What a great (future) score.

I have a friend that's already been paying plenty for years.If he saw the picture above he'd poop.

14 hours ago, Rip said:

I'm usually kind of knowledgable on Star Wars stuff but there are a few things here even I'm not sure of.

I also got the Burger King glasses display from 1980 in the back complete.

I see some guy on e-bay wants 22K for the Star Wars novel display but I'm sure its not a true value. Nor do I know a value on the two Empire Strikes back displays. 

The real guy to ask on the boards is @comicwiz - He is your Star Wars guy... 

However, there are a few pieces there that, judging by the cut out parts and the foldable lines that would slot into display units.  They might be retail endcap display headers.  For example, if you had a retail cardboard bin that you would put the figures in on a standee, that a couple of those cardboard cutout would slot into the top.  The same could be true if it was on the endcap with a slat wall.  

Funny you said that I e-mailed him last night. I've figured out what all of the pieces are, but figuring out value is the hard part.

Some of these rarely go for sale. Especially on the Empire foil signage, the Empire novel and the Star Wars Del Ray novel display pieces. I think I've got values on most of the others.

The guy on e-mail wants a crazy amount for the Del Ray novel display(22K) and says his is the only copy known. 

(Edit: I just got a good ball park on the Empire foil sign, a lesser copy sold for $2500 on facebook recently) Now just the Del Ray novel display's.

Edited by Rip

I see a few Laser discs at the flea market on occasion. They have some of the popular movies, but they never seem to sell for much. Guess i`ll have to keep my eyes open for them now. Thanks for the "heads up"!

Why would laser discs make a comeback? The technology visually is poor compared to 4k

most of the movies should be available - only thing i can think of is oop stuff

additional content?

Whats coming back next hd-dvd?

3 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

Why would laser discs make a comeback? The technology visually is poor compared to 4k

additional content?

I think it's still pretty niche,like cassettes are making a pretty big,I don't know the word-hip,underground?-comeback.I was shocked at what some of my heavy metal demos or early tapes went for.Eight tracks have a much smaller revival too,depending on content.A Dead Boys or Dictators say copy can bring a good amount.The folk I know into LD are all about the horror films,and some VHS are valuable too.

Sunrise records in town now sells brand new off brand walkmans.

4 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

The real guy to ask on the boards is @comicwiz - He is your Star Wars guy... 

However, there are a few pieces there that, judging by the cut out parts and the foldable lines that would slot into display units.  They might be retail endcap display headers.  For example, if you had a retail cardboard bin that you would put the figures in on a standee, that a couple of those cardboard cutout would slot into the top.  The same could be true if it was on the endcap with a slat wall.  

@rjrjr is a good Star Wars source too. Haven't noticed that he's posted on the boards in a while but he had an active/robust SW blog for a long time (which I can't seem to find at the moment (shrug))

30 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

I think it's still pretty niche,like cassettes are making a pretty big,I don't know the word-hip,underground?-comeback.I was shocked at what some of my heavy metal demos or early tapes went for.Eight tracks have a much smaller revival too,depending on content.A Dead Boys or Dictators say copy can bring a good amount.The folk I know into LD are all about the horror films,and some VHS are valuable too.

Sunrise records in town now sells brand new off brand walkmans.

I've noticed 1st pressings (e.g. Metallica's Kill 'em All on Megaforce records vs. Electra records) or more obscure heavy metal cassettes selling well for a several years now. Rarity collecting for music is as fun as comics, but I've paid big bucks for a few OOP CD's only to see a re-release & remastered version put out later for a fraction of the price :p. Laser Disc and VHS is another world of collecting I'm not into (Have to draw the line somewhere :grin:)

1 hour ago, jsilverjanet said:

additional content?

A lot of it is the rarity, sound and artwork. For example the first Halloween VHS tape and some of the Evil Dead VHS tapes can go for quite a bit.

Some of the laserdiscs have the original PCM uncompressed sound which people like which can often sound superior to the Blu Ray/UHD. The Return of the Living Dead laserdisc has all of the original songs before they changed them.

The really expensive ones like "The Cell" are just a rarity thing. Song of the South from Disney will never be printed again and goes for around $600

It depends on the music group... 

Obviously Beatles collectors will try to get the biggest and most obscure pressings of Beatles music...

Did you know that the Morrissey / Smiths fans are crazier?   As soon as I realized that I had some rare CD singles I sold them with no remorse and made them open their wallets.  Many of them go for $25-40.  I just checked and someone just paid $60 for the Japanese release of Maladjusted by Morrissey... It has the SAME track listing as the UK and US counterpart.

The market is there... just have to know what to look for.  To be honest I do not care to.  It's all about the music mannnnn all about the music.... so long as I have a hi def copy in digital format I'm good. 

20 hours ago, Rip said:

OK now as I was going through the garage. There were a lot of cardboard standees from dozens of movies.

Displays and other stuff. I knew the guy was a big horror and Star Wars collector.

Then in the huge pile of cardboard I pulled out some cool stuff. It was treated like garbage. Then I started pulling out piece after piece as sweat begin to pour on my face.

They might of even tossed these out if I didn't grab them among the broken glass.

And bang.....

Maybe something can help me out because I've seen some crazy prices out there and I'm not sure what to do with some of it.

Standee1.jpg

Standee2.jpg

Quite a few valuable pieces there. If you need help let me know. I quit collecting after my wife got sick but still keep and eye on the market.

1 hour ago, Hekla said:

I've noticed 1st pressings (e.g. Metallica's Kill 'em All on Megaforce records vs. Electra records) or more obscure heavy metal cassettes selling well for a several years now. Rarity collecting for music is as fun as comics, but I've paid big bucks for a few OOP CD's only to see a re-release & remastered version put out later for a fraction of the price :p. Laser Disc and VHS is another world of collecting I'm not into (Have to draw the line somewhere :grin:)

I only noticed the cassette minicraze because almost all my old metal tapes are on a label from Montreal,Banzai.There's a cult following of those releases-many of the vinyl copies got so expensive it ushered in a lot of new tape collectors.I almost fell over when I saw CDs had become collectable,but realized I'm just getting to that older point.