• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Washtone / Greytone Covers -- All of them in one place. . .time to weigh in

151 posts in this topic

I just saw this thread now. How would you classify this book?

230_zpsa9e2a2d8.jpg

Washtone!

Beautiful copy, too.

I'd agree to calling it a washtone/greytone. What a great cover!

The Tales of the Unexpected 15 is one of my all time favorite DC SA covers, washtone or not. On another note, I once owned the original art cover to HOM 92, and as great as the published comic looked, it looked awesome. Sometimes I wish I had never traded it...

I'm pretty sure this was posted earlier but is one of my favorites. Washtone?

I paid too much for it at a live auction. Bidding war against one other but it was part of the Henschel OO collection and loved the cover.

Gripes. I just realized we are in Silver and this is a Gold. I can delete if need be. Sorry.

1201131826011.jpg

It's still an awesome cover and I want to know if people think it's a washtone?

And I want Andy to run a "best of washtone" cover contest!

I'm pretty sure this was posted earlier but is one of my favorites. Washtone?

I paid too much for it at a live auction. Bidding war against one other but it was part of the Henschel OO collection and loved the cover.

Gripes. I just realized we are in Silver and this is a Gold. I can delete if need be. Sorry.

1201131826011.jpg

wow awesome !

I'm reposting this now that there are a number of participants. I love all the posts with books but I want to have everybody weigh in on the following:

Hi folks,

Friday night, stress at work, need for catharsis. Maybe it's time to revive this thread.

I had some thoughts as I was reviewing so many of the posts.

What do you think of this:

We vote them INTO or OUT OF 3 categories:

1. Calling it a washtone (if it has the wash tone non-inked-line EFFECT regardless of era, method, or process including wash, watercolor, gouache, charcoal, color blends or gradation, etc.) if it's more than 50% of the cover.

2. Calling it a partial washtone (using the above criteria--pivotal word being EFFECT) if it's less than 50% of the cover.

3. NOT calling it a washtone if it doesn't have the washtone EFFECT.

Using the criteria above, I can easily see us going with a majority vote for the following that would have a washtone EFFECT (thus qualifying as "washtone" even if it's not technically achieved by that method). These are just EXAMPLES of how I'm imagining the vote would go:

A. Washtones: GIC 69, 75, 83, HOM 92, Three Mouseketeers 6, Sea Devils 10, My Greatest Adventure 17, Peter Panda 30

B. Partial washtones: Secret Hearts 59, Date with Judy , Challengers of the Unknown 30

C. NOT wash tones: House of Secrets 1, My Greatest Adventure 18 and 20, House of Mystery 70, Star Spangled War Stories 80

Again, those are just examples. I think if we vote on those three categories, we don't need to have such a narrow definition of washtone and WE (that's us, baby) get to decide what's in and what's out by the vote.

It's still an awesome cover and I want to know if people think it's a washtone?

And I want Andy to run a "best of washtone" cover contest!

....yes, yes...... although there are probably 3 dozen that I just couldn't choose one or the other. My feeble human mind has trouble processing stuff of this magnitude in such a temporal quantitative fashion..... it's just too primitive. It's like "which cave is the best?" ...... "....the dry one!" lol:cloud9: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Hi folks,

Friday night, stress at work, need for catharsis. Maybe it's time to revive this thread.

I had some thoughts as I was reviewing so many of the posts.

What do you think of this:

We vote them INTO or OUT OF 3 categories:

1. Calling it a washtone (if it has the wash tone non-inked-line EFFECT regardless of era, method, or process including wash, watercolor, gouache, charcoal, color blends or gradation, etc.) if it's more than 50% of the cover.

2. Calling it a partial washtone (using the above criteria--pivotal word being EFFECT) if it's less than 50% of the cover.

3. NOT calling it a washtone if it doesn't have the washtone EFFECT.

Using the criteria above, I can easily see us going with a majority vote for the following that would have a washtone EFFECT (thus qualifying as "washtone" even if it's not technically achieved by that method). These are just EXAMPLES of how I'm imagining the vote would go:

A. Washtones: GIC 69, 75, 83, HOM 92, Three Mouseketeers 6, Sea Devils 10, My Greatest Adventure 17, Peter Panda 30

B. Partial washtones: Secret Hearts 59, Date with Judy , Challengers of the Unknown 30

C. NOT wash tones: House of Secrets 1, My Greatest Adventure 18 and 20, House of Mystery 70, Star Spangled War Stories 80

Again, those are just examples. I think if we vote on those three categories, we don't need to have such a narrow definition of washtone and WE (that's us, baby) get to decide what's in and what's out by the vote.

I'm in for this method. But here's a thought: should this be limited to Atom/Silver Age DC, just for the sake of keeping this manageable?