• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Washtone / Greytone Covers -- All of them in one place. . .time to weigh in

151 posts in this topic

I once owned the original art cover to HOM 92, and as great as the published comic looked, it looked awesome. Sometimes I wish I had never traded it...

:o

The Tales of the Unexpected 15 is one of my all time favorite DC SA covers, washtone or not. On another note, I once owned the original art cover to HOM 92, and as great as the published comic looked, it looked awesome. Sometimes I wish I had never traded it...

If TOTU 15 is the Statue of Liberty cover, I love it too. MIS 55 is near the top of my list..... as are almost every single one in the GI Combat run. It seems like there were more of those in that title than anywhere else.... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

The Tales of the Unexpected 15 is one of my all time favorite DC SA covers, washtone or not. On another note, I once owned the original art cover to HOM 92, and as great as the published comic looked, it looked awesome. Sometimes I wish I had never traded it...

I find it very annoying how GCD handles the credits for the cover art for many of the washtones as they credit Adler for the inks when what he did was the color design. It's not an accident, either, as Scrooge helped me question the indexer who confirmed it was intended while offering little in the way of thought or evidence for the attributions.

http://www.comics.org/issue/15339/

Adler's name was even included in the Heritage description.

http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/-dillin-and-jack-adler-house-of-mystery-92-grey-tone-cover-original-art-dc-1959-/a/7030-92069.s

I find it very annoying how GCD handles the credits for the cover art for many of the washtones as they credit Adler for the inks when what he did was the color design. It's not an accident, either, as Scrooge helped me question the indexer who confirmed it was intended while offering little in the way of thought or evidence for the attributions.

http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/-dillin-and-jack-adler-house-of-mystery-92-grey-tone-cover-original-art-dc-1959-/a/7030-92069.s

Guess they have a set formula for art credits, and it's hard to fit washtones into the formula. Adler was doing a lot more than the typical color design, but I have no idea whether he worked off a pencil drawing, or if someone inked the drawing and then he took over. Anyone know the answer to this?

Guess they have a set formula for art credits, and it's hard to fit washtones into the formula. Adler was doing a lot more than the typical color design, but I have no idea whether he worked off a pencil drawing, or if someone inked the drawing and then he took over. Anyone know the answer to this?

Adler was a brilliant color designer and, along with Marie Severin, my favorite of the GA/SA. However, Adler didn't draw anything on that cover or any other cover that was the source for a washtone. Sometimes the underlying art was done with charcoal/pencil on pebbleboard but the color design was still separate from that.

. . .near the top of my list..... as are almost every single one in the GI Combat run. It seems like there were more of those in that title than anywhere else.... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Them's the GIC "Perty Thirty." Never a run like that. . .before, during, or since.

Looking through the first couple of pages,very sad some pics are gone...but very pleased to see All American Men of War 35....wow,did not know how beautiful of a cover that was...Andy,if I ever buy another comic from you I want it to be this one!!!!

Edit

Sorry Comick1 did not realise it was your book.I just think of Andy when I see DC War books.Beautiful stuff sir.

Back to looking and smiling!

Looking through the first couple of pages,very sad some pics are gone...but very pleased to see All American Men of War 35....wow,did not know how beautiful of a cover that was...Andy,if I ever buy another comic from you I want it to be this one!!!!

Edit

Sorry Comick1 did not realise it was your book.I just think of Andy when I see DC War books.Beautiful stuff sir.

Back to looking and smiling!

No worries, Mister Porcupine48! I share your love of that book.

I bought it nearly 25 years ago :preach:. I wish I'd bought more from the Newsboys, but I was very limited on what I could purchase. Most of what I focused on getting were the washtones that I was aware of at the time (including the SSWS 45). This was before the Pedrin Guide came out and certainly no internet, so what little info I DID have about the washtones was cobbled together by chancing upon them at comic shows. In the case of the AAMOW 35, I recall getting excited about scoring THAT issue because I'd seen a beater copy of it at a show just a month prior and adding it to my wantlist.

I might be inclined to VOTE for the GL 9 as being partial washtone. It is predominantly line-driven, but I see the background orange gradations. That said, even though I think it could be a partial, it might not be voted as such when it comes down to that.

I might be inclined to VOTE for the GL 9 as being partial washtone. It is predominantly line-driven, but I see the background orange gradations. That said, even though I think it could be a partial, it might not be voted as such when it comes down to that.

Not a washtone, just a gradient background - which always looks cool nonetheless, especially in orange, plenty of cool Atlas covers have it.