• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

white mountain vs curator

135 posts in this topic

When is that Pedigree book coming out? :frustrated:

Not until after the GA one comes out. :whistle:

Tsk, tsk! (tsk)

I didn't specify SA or GA, just asked when the Pedigree book is coming out. :makepoint:

The word "that" in reference to the conversation implied the SA pedigree book. ;)

No it didn't. :slapfight:

We are in the Silver Age forum, so it's SA by default.

Your logic works by default. :baiting:

Question for those of you voting the Curator pedigree as the finest of the Silver Age: where have you seen the books? Have you ever seen a Curator SA DC? A Fantastic Four, Journey Into Mystery, or Strange Tales? A Silver Surfer or Captain America?

I haven't (except for a lone Strange Tales in 9.2), and so can't compare the pedigree to the PC, which nearly all have been slabbed and visible in the marketplace. (shrug)

Can someone give me the fast info history of the Curator, please?

B

From a Scoop article:

The Curator pedigree is named after a museum curator who was the original owner of the collection, having purchased each issue himself. He lived in the Mid-West and was extremely particular about the new books he bought, constantly striving for the best possible copy of each issue he purchased. Most Curator comics are characterized by their famous bone white pages and the distributor's ink smear at the top edge of the book.

From Doc:

It's purported the collection was sold in order to fund a sex change operation.

The collection was sold to fund a sex change operation and the guy (soon to become gal) continued to stay married with his wife and lived quite the interesting life afterwards...much of which is not for public print.

The collection was found by John Hauser (I believe that was the name) and he still had some modern Curators when I saw his stuff in Chicago...X-men, Spidey, stuff like that.

The curators are incredible books much of which are highest graded. Check out Doug's vault to see some of them.

This thread has been interesting...first time I have ever seen a list that doesn't include the WM's in the top three.

How the mighty have fallen.

Jim

It's the Marvel/DC divide. As you know well but others may not, WM is the only pedigree listed in the top five that has extensive high grade runs of ten cent DCs (let alone the great EC and Atlas runs), but the list seems to focus on the Marvels.

I have several PC and WP books, some of the same issue. I can't tell a lot of difference through the slab. Page quality is comparable according to CGC but who would know without releasing them from their tombs.

This thread has been interesting...first time I have ever seen a list that doesn't include the WM's in the top three.

Jim

That only holds true when you're considering SA superhero books. The WM collection destroys the others when you factor in the Atlas, pre-hero, and DC stuff. And it's not so bad on its own when you look at the keys: AF 15 = 9.4, ASM 1 = 9.6, TOS 39 9.6, JIM 83 = 9.6.

I wouldn't say destroys. The pedigree rankings volley back and forth depending on the criteria used to establish the list. I don't think I have personally seen better page quality through a given pedigree as in the Curator books. The Mass Copies probably come in second.

The Northlands tend to have very nice cover colors, but the page quality tends to be less than white. I have also discovered that the ones with lower CGC grades tend to have one major, typically unpressable, but small flaw keeping the book from technically grading higher.

I did get a chance to see one or two of adamstrange's pre-superhero WMs in Baltimore. The page quality was excellent and the colors were very very nice.

Jim

I'd put the White Mountains at #3 based in part on its high grade keys.

I'm working from memory here, so forgive me if I'm wrong: AF #15 (9.4), ASM #1 (9.6), FF #1 (9.2), TOS #39 (9.4/9.6?) JIM #83 (9.6), etc.

My list would look like this:

1. Curator

2. Pacific Coast

3. White Mountain

4. Mass

5. Northland

6. Western Penn

7. Boston

8. Golden State

9. Rocky Mountain

10. Oakland

Not to disagree with your list, but I didn't rank the Golden State books as they aren't recognized as a pedigree by CGC. If you consider them, then I think some attention needs to be paid to the Slobodian books as well.

You really think the Oaklands rank as high as ten and aren't they mainly a Bronze Age pedigree?

Not to disagree with your list, but I didn't rank the Golden State books as they aren't recognized as a pedigree by CGC. If you consider them, then I think some attention needs to be paid to the Slobodian books as well.

You really think the Oaklands rank as high as ten and aren't they mainly a Bronze Age pedigree?

I've always thought it was a shame CGC hasn't recognized the Golden States. I think they're far nicer that a lot of the pedigrees they do recognize.

I agree about the Slobodian books. Lots of great stuff, although a lot of the books have tanning on the covers which knocks it down in my book.

As far the the Oaklands, I was reaching to fill out the top ten. The Slobodians should probably bump it off my list.

Barton: That's exactly what the top 5 should look like :thumbsup:

Bob: Another "problem" that the WM's suffer from is the fact that they are the oldest of all the SA pedigrees and found their way into collections before CGC and pressing, so it would be safe to suggest that a lesser percentage of the overall collection having been potentialized. Hence the consistent 9.2-9.4 grades and less of über high grades reached through the "baking process".

Jim