• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do Artists charge for signing?

17 posts in this topic

I know every artist has a different price to sign a book. I figured it might be useful to see what different signatures cost.

Steranko is coming to Phx. in the spring and I was curious as to what he charges.

Typically I go after actor signatures only, but Steranko might be a fun one to get.

On a side note there are two of the astronuats from the 2001 movie coming and those will be added to my collection. Just need to figure out if I will get them to sign a Magazine or Comic.

If you're referring to comic book artists. I have never heard of anyone charging for just a signature. If it's an actor/actress prepare to pay some $$$

I'll let the SS witnesses speak up, but there are a few comic book creators that charge. As I indicated, Steranko won't charge if you get books personalized, but he will if you just want his signature. I think Neal Adams gives you the first signature for free, but charges after that. Gene Colan has been charging for his signature recently.

If you're referring to comic book artists. I have never heard of anyone charging for just a signature. If it's an actor/actress prepare to pay some $$$

I'll let the SS witnesses speak up, but there are a few comic book creators that charge. As I indicated, Steranko won't charge if you get books personalized, but he will if you just want his signature. I think Neal Adams gives you the first signature for free, but charges after that. Gene Colan has been charging for his signature recently.

You're right, I'm not a witness, but I've attended shows over the past two year and have yet to pay for a signature. But then again, I normally don't get Golden or Silver Age books signed.

I'm not too sure about Adams, Colan, or the rest of the Golden/Silver Age crew. But most, if not, all modern artist will not charge.

Last I knew George Perez would sign up to 5 book for free but for any additional signatures would require a donation of .25 to $1 to the CBLDF or Hero Initiative. I'm not sure if he still does. I don't think it's a bad idea and personally wouldn't have a problem with all creators doing this. I think he started doing it because he got tired of those people that would bring their entire run of Avengers or New Teen Titans to have him sign.

Last I knew George Perez would sign up to 5 book for free but for any additional signatures would require a donation of .25 to $1 to the CBLDF or Hero Initiative. I'm not sure if he still does. I don't think it's a bad idea and personally wouldn't have a problem with all creators doing this. I think he started doing it because he got tired of those people that would bring their entire run of Avengers or New Teen Titans to have him sign.

This is true. George works mostly with the Hero Initiative, which is a good charitable cause.

Colan has been charging $20 a sig for the past year. Before that I think he was like 5 bucks.

You're right, I'm not a witness, but I've attended shows over the past two year and have yet to pay for a signature. But then again, I normally don't get Golden or Silver Age books signed.

I'm not too sure about Adams, Colan, or the rest of the Golden/Silver Age crew. But most, if not, all modern artist will not charge.

Suydam charges for anything more than 1 book - he's a bit of measly money-grubber, really.

Suydam charges for anything more than 1 book - he's a bit of measly money-grubber, really.

I've had the same experience with Suydam. When he asked me to purchase something to get the 5 books signed, I tried to purchase the print where a donation would be made to Hero, but he said it couldn't be anything where part of the money went to charity...

I've only seen Perez at the Hero booth recently where you are expected to donate, but I definitely don't mind an artist asking for a small donation to a worthy charity for some sigs.

I've also heard Tim Sale ask for a small donation to Hero if you bring more than 5 or so books.

Unless you buy something ;) then he'll let you sign whatever you'd like. Of course not 100 books.

OK here is the break down

Steranko is 5-10 for just a signature

Colan is 20 for a signature

Liefeld Makes you buy a 20 dollar print if you are getting New Mutants 87 or 98 signed any other comics are free

Al Plastino charges 20 each

Carmine infantino is free for the first one and 5 for each additional but you have to talk to his agent/assistant first

George Perez is first five for free and 1 for each one after 5

Bill Sienkewicz is first five free and 1 for each one after 5

There are others that charge a fee to sign but they only do private signings.