• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pre-Grade service for CGC

19 posts in this topic

I think that there is a box you check on the form stating you wish to pre-grade. There is a minimum # of books you are required to submit. Every book that does not make the cut, CGC will charge you $3. Books that make the cut, CGC will charge you normal slabbing costs.

I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

Chris

This question can most easily be answered by just calling CGC. We can still use the phone and talk to them directly remember. Whenever I call customer service is very helpful. I had a long talk with one of the CGC guys at the Las Vegas con a few months ago about this same question. Although I don't remember all the deatails, they prefer you to call in advance to arrange it and let them know that it is coming. I believe that you do not use the same form as a normal submission but I may be wrong. The prices quoted to me were $3 per reject if 100 are submitted and $2 per reject if 150 or more are submitted for pre-grading.

The real question I had was how to pay for it. That was a bit confusing. I think they said that the pre-grader initially decides which makes your cutoff and seperates them. Then they charge for the ones that pass, and charge your $2 or $3 each for the rejects. Then when the "real" graders check the ones that passed, they may reject more. If that happens then you receive a credit for when you were charged full prices on those books that have now been rejected. I may have some of this wrong so just call before submitting to be sure. -----Sid

Not sure about how its paid for but you do use the mormal subs forms. Then leave the payment details blank (or delete them if already printed), and write 'pre-screen' at the bottom.

The cost is $3 per reject (minimum 100) and at cost of service selected for others.

This question can most easily be answered by just calling CGC. We can still use the phone and talk to them directly remember.

True, but this way I hope to receive some feedback from those who actually used the service and whether it was an advantageous way to go or not.

Some people say it's a way of getting the higher grade for a book? If its borderline 9.6/9.8 then under noraml rules it would go as a 9.6 to keep the numbers down. But if it was a pre-screener, then they would go to 9.8 to get the full whack sub fee.

Of course that is PURE speculation, as I don't think they would be in business to long if this were true confused-smiley-013.gif

It is advantageous to the user in a sense that you won't get stuck paying the full grading fee for a book you didn't want slabbed at that grade. Mind you, you should still do your best to cull the chaff (lower than your grade cutoff) and select the books with high potential for making the grade. I don't think that it gets you MORE high grades because of the fact that if the "pre-screener" blows the call, the "real" grader is there to rectify it. But the the question arises, what if the pre-screener errs the other way, ie, he cuts a book that a "real" grader would have graded higher? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifconfused.gif

Some people say it's a way of getting the higher grade for a book? If its borderline 9.6/9.8 then under noraml rules it would go as a 9.6 to keep the numbers down. But if it was a pre-screener, then they would go to 9.8 to get the full whack sub fee.

Of course that is PURE speculation, as I don't think they would be in business to long if this were true confused-smiley-013.gif

I have to admit that this same thought did occur to me. If I send in 100 Modern books my cutoff will be 9.6. The more they pass the more they are paid. I thought about that. However, most likely the average grader at CGC is paid hourly (I am assuming) and it makes no difference how many pass or fail as they do not gain anything by passing more books. Now, if it was the owners (who are CGC's owners by the way?) making this judgment call, or anyone that would benefit on more books passing though, then there is a possibility of this speculation being correct. This would apply to any business. Just a thought. I am certainly not assuming any of this happens. ----Sid

If the modern limit is 100 books, do all 100 have to be screened at the same grade, or can you sub-divide the 100 (for example - tell CGC to screen the 1st 50 at 9.4 and the other 50 at 9.6)?

Good point I was going to raise!

I working getting together a early Bronze late Silver lot of 50.

50 is the limit for economy right?

Some would only be worth slabbing if 9.4, but others 9.2 would still be worth it to me.

Can I divide my lot in two parts?

I just sent my 1st batch of books for a 9.6 pre-screen.... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Hey, good luck. I am thinking about the exact same thing. 100 books with a 9.6 cutoff. Let us know how many pass. I have heard that it takes a few weeks longer to get your books back when you go this route. I think they send the rejects back earlier and the graded ones later seperately. -----Sid

I just sent my 1st batch of books for a 9.6 pre-screen.... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Hey, good luck. I am thinking about the exact same thing. 100 books with a 9.6 cutoff. Let us know how many pass. I have heard that it takes a few weeks longer to get your books back when you go this route. I think they send the rejects back earlier and the graded ones later seperately. -----Sid

Actually, I only sent 20 books. They were included with the batch my LCS sent out. If I do okay, I'm going to put together a larger submission.

Quick question: but how exactly does the pre-grade service work for CGC? Do you use the same submission form as usual? Anyone with any experience in the matter, feel free to respond. I'll give you a big cyber-hug for your trouble. wink.gif

Good info here, and consistent with my call to their excellent customer service represenative (forgot her name). What I find surprising is that none of the 'Prescreen' information appears on their website. Why?