• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your grail!
1 1

101 posts in this topic

Re: JLA/JSA team-up

I love seeing that old Mike Sekowsky art on the JLA. It's a thrill to know that some of it survived and this is one of my favorites. Good job!

PS. My first comic was the first issue of the second team-up JLA #29.

Difficult to choose because I have two which I want to be buried with when I die.

First is the very first thing I ever commissioned from an artist. Lucky me it was Mike Kaluta. It took a year (to the day) to get but well worth the wait.

Second, I was combing the internet just seeing what was out there and TA-DAAA!!! A Kelley Jones page with Batman fighting Mr. Freeze!! AAAHHHH!!!

Another one of those moments when I was in the right place at the right time. Moments that make collecting fun.

www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=379309&GSub=59053

www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=391787&GSub=61250

Osamu Tezuka - Robot Maid Olga

I would use the G-word here because this represents a major collecting goal for me. Osamu Tezuka's work is revered around the world, and is devilishly tough to find - unless you have bottomless pockets ( I don't, thanks for asking! ) I would have been content to get a panel of some obscure manga that he's worked on. The fact that I own a painted Tezuka commission is still something that I'm unable to wrap my head around.

Tezuka_Olga.jpg

This Is quite a piece. Tezuka created astro boy, he also died over 20 years ago, add to that he is japanese and animation art especiaaly from someone of this caliber is impossible to find. It is amazing anybody could afford art from him.

You have a very nice piece that most collectors only dream of owning. congrats

This was something of a grail for me. It combines two huge things from my adolescence, comics and D&D.

This is the original cover painting to the TSR D&D module Blizzard Pass by Tim Truman

blizpass_98a.jpg

You guys are making my jaw drop. Everything from the FF splashes to the Pulp Painting to the Invincible splash. This is why I come here. I can't decide which of these is my grail so I will post them both.

Walking Dead 44 - My first OA. Just when you thought she was gone Andrea comes back strong. The dialogue on this page is great!

AdlardWD44Pg16-1.jpg

Invincible 61 - My most recent purchase. One of my favorite recent storylines and definately my favorite villian of the series. My first splash page and the pencils sans ink just look so nice on this one. This one always makes me smile.

Invincible61p18.jpg

You have shared really outstanding and mind-boggling work.

Collecting has become near obsessive for me, but this is a piece I am extremely pleased to own, and its found a permanent place in my collection.

Cavewoman Prehistoric Pin-ups 1 (Special Edition) by Budd Root

buddrootcover.jpg

it is interesting to see what everyones grail is, and will be really cool to see what people consider a grail in the next ten years as some of the younger collectors get older.

For me, a grail would be more modern stuff since those are the titles and issues that I have grown up reading. I dont think I would appreciate a Ditko Spidey piece as much as I should since I didnt grow up reading those issues. It would be awesome to have one though thats for sure.

A grail for me is easy to define, its either a cover from a series I love and follow, like Invincible or the Walking Dead, or a awesome pin up or commission from one of my favorite artists. I love to draw, and enjoy drawing female characters the most, so naturally Adam Hughes would be my favorite.

So, anyways, it has been really cool to see what people consider their grail. If I had one SUGGESTION, I would love to know a little more about why all of you consider the piece your grail. Always fun to hear other collectors stories and comments on their pieces.

Oops just realized im a hypocrite.

The reason why the Invincible cover is my grail is that I am a sucker for romance between characters. I love Ryans art and the stories by Kirkman are amazing, but I also love the interaction between Mark and Eve.

When Mary Jane and Peter broke in ASM, I was pissed. I really enjoy that aspect of superhero comics. And in Avatar, I think thats one of the reasons why I enjoyed the movie so much.

So yea, the cover embodies everything I enjoy about Invincible and comics all together.

Some amazing pieces shared though I'm still confused if this is a grail thread or favorite piece you own thread. I don't own my grail but my favorite piece I own is:

hulk105c.jpg

I LOVED Planet Hulk and could not have been happier to add this to my collection.

I think a grail is the one piece you would want the most if money wasn't part of the equation. In Felix's original post, he wanted to know what your personal grail is. If I were to pick a piece that I knew existed, I would pick the cover to Preacher #1. I was always intrigued by the piece and the whole series is by far my favorite comic ever. I like the way that Preacher looked totally insane and it made me want to buy the book from the start. However, there are people with faaaar deeper pockets than I have trying to get it so I can only hope to win the lotto or something. :)

92520.jpg.dc860d249adbbd296fc500a81763c9e3.jpg