X-MEN #1 club
27 27

2,121 posts in this topic

3,587 posts
2 hours ago, Podterp said:

Just arrived in the mail today . . . Beyond happy with the presentation for the grade. Happy to join the club finally!

D43D150C-7DD3-467B-A566-5FC9A3F2520B.thumb.jpeg.8f6860176e0fc24123c1d5f23c09b409.jpeg

Great copy and welcome to the boards!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 posts
12 minutes ago, Boosted7 said:

I'm just getting back into this hobby, and everything has gone up. Still looking for my X-Men #1!

I am in the market for a copy too. I kept running across good deals the past year on the other issues 2-10 that I diverted my attention. Now I may have to pay for my lack of haste. Even worse I missed two reasonably priced low grade isses of late by seconds. Hopefully I'll be able to find what I need at NYCC this weekend. If not I'll wait until con seasons end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 posts

Yeah I've been trying to make deals on eBay but even for low grades, prices are just so much more than GPA. I'm fine paying a little over GPA, but maybe that's the way the markets going for this hot comic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 posts

Prices are going all over the place right now for this one! I've been watching the sales in around 3.0-5.0, since I'm currently in the market for one. According to GPA sales for October-November, sales were:

CGC 5.0

November 4 @ $5520

November 1 @ $8995 ($2k higher than the previous GPA sale, wow)

October 25, 2018 @ $7000

October 7 @ $6700

CGC 4.5

November 3 @ $1399 (someone got a good deal here)

October 4 @ $5000

CGC 4.0

November 4 @ $6000 ($1k higher than previous GPA sale)

CGC 3.5

October 7 @ $4800

How much higher can this go? I feel like I'm being left in the dust here as I'm waiting for the right one. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
772 posts

Just my opinion but it looks like the wild fluctuating prices put this book in a bubble market.  I remember a 7.0 selling here for 7500 last year prior to the disney acquisition news.  While I don't think we will ever see that price happen ever again, I would probably still not be a buyer right now.  On the other hand if disney announced their first x-men movie for the MCU, expect another absurd price increase.  If you really need to buy right now, wait for the bottom end of the price range to come along on the right book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,027 posts

To what degree do we all believe that FF (especially #1, #4, and #5) is / will be driven by the same market forces as X-Men #1?  IMHO there's a strong argument to be made that the spikes in FF and X-Men are happening for the same reasons, but I'd be curious to know if anyone has a good counter-argument.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,523 posts
8 hours ago, Boosted7 said:

Prices are going all over the place right now for this one! I've been watching the sales in around 3.0-5.0, since I'm currently in the market for one. According to GPA sales for October-November, sales were:

CGC 5.0

November 4 @ $5520

November 1 @ $8995 ($2k higher than the previous GPA sale, wow)

October 25, 2018 @ $7000

October 7 @ $6700

CGC 4.5

November 3 @ $1399 (someone got a good deal here)

October 4 @ $5000

CGC 4.0

November 4 @ $6000 ($1k higher than previous GPA sale)

CGC 3.5

October 7 @ $4800

How much higher can this go? I feel like I'm being left in the dust here as I'm waiting for the right one. :(

That 4.5 Ebay sale for $1399 is obviously fake and GPA has been notified.  (thumbsu

-J.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
929 posts
On 11/5/2018 at 10:32 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

To what degree do we all believe that FF (especially #1, #4, and #5) is / will be driven by the same market forces as X-Men #1?  IMHO there's a strong argument to be made that the spikes in FF and X-Men are happening for the same reasons, but I'd be curious to know if anyone has a good counter-argument.

i think both properties obviously have benefitted from the news about the acquisition. but i also think that both were due for a bump. ff1 certainly languished for awhile while hulk1 and AF15 seemed to explode away from it. xmen1 is obviously far more common of a book, but it's also already a proven hit property as far as the film universe goes, for almost 20 years now. so i've always felt that xmen1 was underpriced in relation to the popularity of that franchise. and they have never stopped making xmen films since the first one. at the end of the day, i think the reasons are similar, but i think the true value of early ff books is more about rarity and value to pure comic lovers as well as potential film world growth, whereas xmen1 is already a proven commodity, though a fairly common book. although finding a mid grade one that's not all yellowish is not easy! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21,720 posts

Here are some recent additions to my PC from a collection in August. I was going to pick up a higher grade copy this fall regardless, but the collection had three so that is covered off now.

X-Men #1 is a book I have viewed as being undervalued for a while now. Unfortunately, since it was not really moving price-wise, I decided to chase different books instead. doh!

1856864315_cgcX-Men1Arestored.thumb.jpg.0537d1dfc5037f429b10fcc03ea0a56f.jpg

 

1711987474_cgcX-Men1B.thumb.jpg.f9cf5038739481adebdcac07eb108bbf.jpg

1090290447_cgcX-Men1C.thumb.jpg.b2e71450dbd9e0bab72bc83b1012ad41.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 posts

The 3.5 you have there has a stamp for Dime Book Store. I'm from Vancouver, BC too so that's pretty neat to see. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,102 posts

I thought the final prices on the X-Men #1's on CL last night were a bit soft, a 8.5 went for around 28K when the last few have ended in the 35k+ range. 

Edited by maraxusofkeld

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
923 posts
9 hours ago, maraxusofkeld said:

I thought the final prices on the X-Men #1's on CL last night were a bit soft, a 8.5 went for around 28K when the last few have ended in the 35k+ range. 

Prices were all over the place: the 7.5 went for $14k and the 7.0 fetched $20.4k!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,102 posts
7 hours ago, O. said:

Prices were all over the place: the 7.5 went for $14k and the 7.0 fetched $20.4k!

 

The 7.0 did present better though, the 7.5 looked to have a grease stain or something on the spine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,700 posts

Eye appeal is king when it comes to realized prices. good to see buyer are paying more attention to eye appeal vs the grade, years back it wasnt this way at all.

Oh and the lower graded copies of X-Men 1 had low eye appeal, not at all surprised by the lower prices. Had either major yellowing, fading, tanning, chipping or a combo of those things mentioned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
27 27