X-MEN #1 club
27 27

2,121 posts in this topic

87 posts
On 2/4/2019 at 6:46 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

Great looking book ! I have to ask, is this your real name or are you having fun with us ?

lol just having fun... didn't think i would post anything and now im stuck with it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,388 posts
On 2/7/2019 at 4:59 PM, www.alexgross.com said:

just picked up this baby, it's my second copy.  i think it presents very well for the grade. very stoked about it! would not have happened if not for DST from these here boards, thanks so much Dave! 

xmen1-3.5-front.jpg

Very rich colors.  That is a beautiful copy! :applause:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
929 posts
16 hours ago, Chillax23 said:

This thread should not be on the 4th page - so I thought I would post a group shot of my X-Men 1s :) 

CF43C207-FD32-4359-B138-5C56193DFAED.thumb.jpeg.954f0186b48caef7b9bff0110352888e.jpeg

I only wish the grade order was reversed :) 

great looking pair of books there, congratulations!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,413 posts
On 2/7/2019 at 1:59 PM, www.alexgross.com said:

just picked up this baby, it's my second copy.  i think it presents very well for the grade. very stoked about it! would not have happened if not for DST from these here boards, thanks so much Dave! 

xmen1-3.5-front.jpg

That's a very presentable copy! Good PQ as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21,720 posts

Looks like prices are moving on up nicely across most grades again, with 2.0s set to cross the $4k barrier next.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
487 posts
7 hours ago, kimik said:

Looks like prices are moving on up nicely across most grades again, with 2.0s set to cross the $4k barrier next.

But will they slow down now that it's clear they aren't coming to the big screen again for awhile?

X-Men and FF were riding the hype train with the recent Fox acquisition. How will this effect prices?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
759 posts
5 hours ago, Howling Mad said:

But will they slow down now that it's clear they aren't coming to the big screen again for awhile?

X-Men and FF were riding the hype train with the recent Fox acquisition. How will this effect prices?

5 more years of rising lol 

No really it might level off or keep rising steadily but I don't see it dropping.

Just wait until that 1st trailer hits...karacka krooom

My copy 

20190411_063056.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,027 posts
Posted (edited)

X-Men speculation is tricky because the original #1-66 run has some bright spots but is generally below par (in terms of the quality of stories, art, and particular characters) as compared to the later run or the other Marvel books of the time.  Obviously X-Men #1 is a mega-key of the Silver Age, but as far as individual characters go you could make a strong argument that its value rests as much, if not more, on Magneto than on any of the heroes.  It's more about this being the introduction of the concept of the X-Men (and of mutants) than anything else.  Which is fine because Avengers #1, clearly at least a notch below X-Men #1 in value, has spiked tremendously in value despite not featuring any first appearances.

Later in the run you of course have #12 with the first Juggernaut, and #14 introducing the Sentinels, but generally speaking the X-Men rogues' gallery of early villains is pretty weak as compared to, say, Spider-Man or the Fantastic Four.  The Fox films have mined this list in a few cases (the Blob and the Toad come to mind) with what basically amount to cameos, because these characters (even the Juggernaut) cannot carry a film as standalone villains and usually can't even carry a scene as compelling characters with complex motivations and strong backstories.  If you made a "pie chart" of early X-Men villains it feels like it would be weighted 75% Magneto, 15% Juggernaut, and 10% everybody else combined.

On the hero side, #4 is the obvious key with Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch, who straddle the X-Men and Avengers universes (and in the former case) the Fox and Marvel cinematic universes.  There are also a few first appearances of second-tier heroes like Ka-Zar, Banshee, Polaris, and Havok, with the latter two benefiting from awesome covers by highly-in-demand artists Jim Steranko (#50) and Neal Adams (#58) respectively.  But unless I'm forgetting something, there's nothing in there that jumps out as a scene or storyline so awesome that you know they're going to build a movie around it, like ASM #50 or FF #48-50.

And finally there's #9, the crossover issue vs. the Avengers, which I think should get some serious attention if it hasn't already.  Spider-Man and Hulk completists will always love #35 and #66.

Compare this against the run that starts with #94 -- even though most of the major heroes debuted outside the X-Men title (in arguably the top two books of the Bronze Age, Incredible Hulk #181 and Giant-Size X-Men #1), there are so many storylines and villains that have been mined and are still waiting to be mined in future movies.  Obviously these books are still generally much more affordable, and in plentiful supply.

In terms of growth potential (as opposed to straight dollar value), which books in the X-Men run do you think will benefit most from the general hype of "the X-Men are coming to the MCU!!!" and which will see their characters or stories actually used in a future MCU movie?

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
713 posts
3 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

X-Men speculation is tricky because the original #1-66 run has some bright spots but is generally below par (in terms of the quality of stories, art, and particular characters) as compared to the later run or the other Marvel books of the time.  Obviously X-Men #1 is a mega-key of the Silver Age, but as far as individual characters go you could make a strong argument that its value rests as much, if not more, on Magneto than on any of the heroes.  It's more about this being the introduction of the concept of the X-Men (and of mutants) than anything else.  Which is fine because Avengers #1, clearly at least a notch below X-Men #1 in value, has spiked tremendously in value despite not featuring any first appearances.

Later in the run you of course have #12 with the first Juggernaut, and #14 introducing the Sentinels, but generally speaking the X-Men rogues' gallery of early villains is pretty weak as compared to, say, Spider-Man or the Fantastic Four.  The Fox films have mined this list in a few cases (the Blob and the Toad come to mind) with what basically amount to cameos, because these characters (even the Juggernaut) cannot carry a film as standalone villains and usually can't even carry a scene as compelling characters with complex motivations and strong backstories.  If you made a "pie chart" of early X-Men villains it feels like it would be weighted 75% Magneto, 15% Juggernaut, and 10% everybody else combined.

On the hero side, #4 is the obvious key with Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch, who straddle the X-Men and Avengers universes (and in the former case) the Fox and Marvel cinematic universes.  There are also a few first appearances of second-tier heroes like Ka-Zar, Banshee, Polaris, and Havok, with the latter two benefiting from awesome covers by highly-in-demand artists Jim Steranko (#50) and Neal Adams (#58) respectively.  But unless I'm forgetting something, there's nothing in there that jumps out as a scene or storyline so awesome that you know they're going to build a movie around it, like ASM #50 or FF #48-50.

And finally there's #9, the crossover issue vs. the Avengers, which I think should get some serious attention if it hasn't already.  Spider-Man and Hulk completists will always love #35 and #66.

Compare this against the run that starts with #94 -- even though most of the major heroes debuted outside the X-Men title (in arguably the top two books of the Bronze Age, Incredible Hulk #181 and Giant-Size X-Men #1), there are so many storylines and villains that have been mined and are still waiting to be mined in future movies.  Obviously these books are still generally much more affordable, and in plentiful supply.

In terms of growth potential (as opposed to straight dollar value), which books in the X-Men run do you think will benefit most from the general hype of "the X-Men are coming to the MCU!!!" and which will see their characters or stories actually used in a future MCU movie?

You are forgetting the highly memorable full 8 issue Adams-run. #56-63ish. Really great.

+ 1st Cerebro #6.

+ 1st Stranger. #11.

+ issues #1-18 is all Kirby art and/or layout. Whats not to love.

All in all a weird run. As a supplement to the above it will first and foremost be viewed as the run where it all began.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21,720 posts

In the end, the best way to speculate on X-Men is to just keep buying as many copies of X-Men 1 and GS X-Men 1 as you can afford to. While villain and lesser characters will see run ups, the big books are the ones that will show the biggest $$$ gains over time. Look at Spider-Man as an example - sure, books like ASM 2, 3, 4, 6, 9, 13, 14, 15, etc. will have spikes, but a collector would have come out way further ahead by just saving up and buying multiple copies of AF 15 and ASM 1 instead. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,413 posts
Posted (edited)

It looks like a few of the March 2019 sales were lower than what we saw in January. I'm looking at the 6.5 and 7.0 grades. Probably somebody just got a screaming deal on that 7.0 at the Heritage auction for $12,600 when nobody was looking! :whatthe:  It's probably not enough to be significant, but enough to keep an eye on. At that price, I wish that I had nabbed it!!  :takeit:

gpa-xmen-1.png.8f3aaba7373d28993f6d00eea69718b6.png

 

 

Edited by CycleGirl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21,720 posts

What did the two 7.0 copies look like? That could be the reason for the big price difference.

On the other hand, X-Men #1 in lower grades is still moving up. The last two sales for 3.0 and 3.5 are $4893 and $6500 respectively.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,413 posts
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, kimik said:

What did the two 7.0 copies look like? That could be the reason for the big price difference.

On the other hand, X-Men #1 in lower grades is still moving up. The last two sales for 3.0 and 3.5 are $4893 and $6500 respectively.

Well... below is the 7.0 from the Heritage Auction that sold for $12,900 and it does have chipping on the right edge.

 x1-heritage-larger.thumb.jpg.8f7d35965de1927815760d429ecda0c9.jpg

 

 

Edited by CycleGirl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,766 posts

Not the nicest looking 7.0. Chipping. plus bad staple placement

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
263 posts
4 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Happy to be in the club!

7D10C1F9-F161-46AE-B4A6-DD41E0F50321.jpeg

7B4126A5-8315-4541-9E7D-351FFF2EE3D3.jpeg

Is this the metropolis issue they had listed for a while? I almost bought this book at Big Apple. Great looking copy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
27 27