X-MEN #1 club
25 25

2,109 posts in this topic

1,338 posts
11 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I'm about as thrilled to have my X-Men #1 as I am sad that I didn't grab an FF #1 last year.

I feel the same about not grabbing a FF5 or a higher grade FF48 (I grabbed a 6.0 before the Fox deal - thinking I would one day pick up a 9.2 ..... that is not going to happen now)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,775 posts

I still have my modest collection from when I was a kid, and it's mostly x-men. For the life of me, I don't know why I didn't pick up a copy well before prices got out of hand...:sorry:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
171 posts

I was able to pick up my #1 universal 7.0 - Rocky Mountain Pedigree for 7,100 about 3 years ago. I'm stunned to see where prices are now. 

Edited by sirwesker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
92 posts

You’ve more than doubled your investment. I’m sitting on a 5.0 and 8.5, wouldn’t mind upgrading to a 9.0+. There’s still a long way to grow, the X-Men are still too young.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 posts

Can I check with you whether it is good investment to buy xmen 1 with cream to off white pages? It is cgc 4.5

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
92 posts
8 hours ago, Juaks said:

Can I check with you whether it is good investment to buy xmen 1 with cream to off white pages? It is cgc 4.5

 

Depends on the price, I’d go with the GPA 90 day average to determine the price. Obviously you’d pay slightly more for an off white-white book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,775 posts
9 hours ago, Juaks said:

Can I check with you whether it is good investment to buy xmen 1 with cream to off white pages? It is cgc 4.5

 

Plenty of accessible copies out there with better PQ...why settle?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,801 posts
10 hours ago, Juaks said:

Can I check with you whether it is good investment to buy xmen 1 with cream to off white pages? It is cgc 4.5

 

The CR/OW is definitely going to hurt your resale value. It also depends on how the all White cover looks. If the cover is yellowing along with the pages, that's not good. As Callaway said above, there are many alternative copies out there. Chances are the CR/OW is being offered to you at a cheaper price because it is a difficult sell. Bottom line, I would not buy it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 posts
55 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

The CR/OW is definitely going to hurt your resale value. It also depends on how the all White cover looks. If the cover is yellowing along with the pages, that's not good. As Callaway said above, there are many alternative copies out there. Chances are the CR/OW is being offered to you at a cheaper price because it is a difficult sell. Bottom line, I would not buy it.

Ok thank you for the advice.

Guess I would give it a miss.

thank you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,661 posts

Just don't discuss PQ with Jaydog.. I warn you :gossip:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 posts

Bought this 20 years ago and finally had it graded...disappointed to find out it was restored.

Xmen1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
985 posts
15 hours ago, Oxidefan said:

Bought this 20 years ago and finally had it graded...disappointed to find out it was restored.

Xmen1.jpg

Sorry to hear it.  Last year, I had my whole collection of raw books graded, and there were about a dozen that came back with purple labels.  Not surprisingly, most were key books -- for example Avengers #2, Captain America #100, Iron Man #55, Silver Surfer #4, and Tales of Suspense #52 -- because those are the ones "worth" restoring and risking getting caught.

Even though I bought those books years ago, I kept good records and in most cases I was able to talk to the dealers from whom I bought the books.  I found that reputable dealers will take restored books back, even years later -- it just takes a little good-faith work to agree on a fair deal since a simple refund might actually leave you short-changed (in other words, even with restoration the book might be worth more than what you paid for it).

Best of luck deciding what to do.  It's still a very nice book.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
743 posts
17 hours ago, Oxidefan said:

Bought this 20 years ago and finally had it graded...disappointed to find out it was restored.

Xmen1.jpg

I would see if the color touch could be removed and regraded if I had the funds. Reallly nice book tho sorry to hear restored. 

This is why I recommend to others nowadays (not 20 years ago) if you are going to pay 500 or more for any comic to just bite the bullet, pay a little more, and always buy already cgc’d to avoid this risk.

Edited by jason4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
985 posts
1 hour ago, jason4 said:

I would see if the color touch could be removed and regraded if I had the funds. Reallly nice book tho sorry to hear restored. 

This is why I recommend to others nowadays (not 20 years ago) if you are going to pay 500 or more for any comic to just bite the bullet, pay a little more, and always buy already cgc’d to avoid this risk.

If only it were just "a little more"!  :whatthe:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,661 posts

Or have your raw books sent in for restoration screening so you can save on CGC fees if resto. is found.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 posts

I paid $700 for it with #2; I think it is still a good purchase at the time.

Thanks for the advice guys...I also submitted issues 2-12, 94 and giant sized #1 from my collection; hopefully no more purple labels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,338 posts
On 6/26/2018 at 7:02 PM, Oxidefan said:

I paid $700 for it with #2; I think it is still a good purchase at the time.

Thanks for the advice guys...I also submitted issues 2-12, 94 and giant sized #1 from my collection; hopefully no more purple labels.

You know what I will give you $700 for it and you can keep issue #2 :) in all seriousness it is a great looking copy - if the resto bothers you maybe check to see if it can be removed without too much damage to the book

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
25 25