• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$10K for this? Really?

26 posts in this topic

Yes, I agree with you, just seeing if anyone else really felt that there were any monetary value to a character's first panel.

Not me, unless there are no other pages of the character in the book.

I think there is absolutely monetary value to a character's first panel. The first panels of Harry Osborn and Gwen Stacy from ASM #31 sold for I believe about 3x what the next page sold for and about double the following 2 pages of the 4-page Peter's first day of college sequence (I bought 3 out of the 4, including the first app. page). I also have the first panel of Red Sonja from Conan #23 which I think would be worth a premium to some of the other pages in the story - I'm not sure it's the best page in the book, but it is certainly the most memorable of the Sonja pages.

Though, the difference is that none of these characters appeared on the cover of the issue where they debuted. Everybody remembers the panels where Gwen and Harry were introduced, which have been reprinted, even separate from the other story pages, time and again. With Hobby, everyone remembers the cover of ASM #238 and the interior first panels are an after-thought. If he hadn't appeared on the cover, I think the page would be far more interesting than it otherwise is.

I would like to see that ASM #31 page, do you have a pic online anywhere?

Yes, I agree with you, just seeing if anyone else really felt that there were any monetary value to a character's first panel.

I think there is absolutely monetary value to a character's first panel. The first panels of Harry Osborn and Gwen Stacy from ASM #31 sold for I believe about 3x what the next page sold for and about double the following 2 pages of the 4-page Peter's first day of college sequence (I bought 3 out of the 4, including the first app. page). I also have the first panel of Red Sonja from Conan #23 which I think would be worth a premium to some of the other pages in the story - I'm not sure it's the best page in the book, but it is certainly the most memorable of the Sonja pages.

Though, the difference is that none of these characters appeared on the cover of the issue where they debuted. Everybody remembers the panels where Gwen and Harry were introduced, which have been reprinted, even separate from the other story pages, time and again. With Hobby, everyone remembers the cover of ASM #238 and the interior first panels are an after-thought. If he hadn't appeared on the cover, I think the page would be far more interesting than it otherwise is.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=230873&GSub=31102

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=230873&GSub=31102

krap :baiting:

Hobgoblin was the schnizzel

Not marginal at all

Its a beautiful piece

And 6k-10k seems about right to me - if it really is the first panel he ever appeared in

Y'know, I must be getting old, 'cause I've got no idea what scnizzel means, but I think you mean that he was a pretty popular villain. And he was...in the Spidey Universe, but I think he paled in comparison to the major league baddies that had an impact on the entire Marvel Universe...fellas such as Galactus, Thanos, even good ol' Dr. Doom!

Still, Hobby was an immediate sensation and his 1st appearance does mean something to me, but not *THAT* many dead presidents :eek: