• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Signature Series Jan 2010 - Present Q & A Thread

490 posts in this topic

hire someone especially to handle cgc signature comics so that they can attend all the major conventions, not just the ones cgc attends for grading.

CGC is at a lot of shows through out the year. Check out our events page: http://www.cgccomics.com/events/index.aspx

Joe Pierson, our new Signature Series Director will be coordinating most of the Signature Series comics at these conventions. We are currently trying to fill in the cracks and get as many employees to as many locations as possible.

Here's a two-part question:

Seems like this could potentially jump prices with the need to employ more people at CGC. I didn't see the prices listed anywhere, and this is something I think most will be concerned about.

Additionally, I know in the past, each witness built their own fees into the signature acquisition in conjunction with the standard CGC submission fees. I know some witnesses like NYComics and DesertWindComics publish their witness fees and others would cut me some deals depending on the amount of books sent their way. Does this new, centralized direction on CGC's part mean there will now be a standardized pricing scale for books regardless of who you work with or will the facilitators have the same flexibility to set prices as before?

Thanks!

-Forrest

My question is not so much for comic guests but what about a con that gets the one shot media guest? CGC can't be everywhere all of the time.

I don't normally attend the big national type shows. What is someone like me who attends cons in Texas suppose to do? I just recently over the last year started collecting SS and part of the enjoyment of it is to have a book signed while I'm there.

If I wanted to send a book to someone else just to have it signed I might as well buy a book already signed and slabbed. That's not for me.

I'm definitely disappointed.

Question--I have two books that were signed on 12/8/09 with a witness present. I wanted to get those books signed at Emerald City. So are these books no longer worthy of the yellow label because if that's the fact, then I have one book with four sigs (McNiven, MO!, Vines, Wein) and another with two sigs (Miki and Wein) on them which are, at best, a green label. But these sigs were obtained prior to the new rules which were in effect as of 1/1/10. What now?

How will these changes affect those who are trying to obtain signatures from film and TV cast members who aren't dirtectly associated with comics and may attend events where comics aren't featured?

Will all CAWs come from the pool of former witnesses?

Contract Authorized Witnesses will be people CGC trusts and who know the Signature Series Program. So far, we have used former witnesses.

Here's my question. I would like a multi signature. 1 is at Emerald City Comic Con. The other is at Anaheim. So If I give the book say to Desert Wind for one Sig, how does it go to CGC for Anaheim?

Via the CGC employee. CGC and DWC will have to work out the logistics.

BIG QUESTION... WHY THE CHANGE?

This change was prompted to streamline the management of the CGC Signature Series program. As CGC Signature Series expanded into collectible fields other than comics, only CGC employees served as witnesses. This change now folds comic books signings into a single program framework.

Everyone wants to talk about lawyers. Yes, lawyers were involved, but they have been involved since the begining. Yes, bringing it all in house will strenghthen our position in court. Ultimatly the desicion was made so that we can take this strong and unique service into different collectible markets.

Trust me, this hasn't been easy.

Here's a two-part question:

Seems like this could potentially jump prices with the need to employ more people at CGC. I didn't see the prices listed anywhere, and this is something I think most will be concerned about.

CGC pricing for Signature Series hasn't changed. If you look on http://www.cgcsignatureseries.com/Events/SigSeriesEvents.aspx you will see our prices listed:

Modern - $27

Value, Economy, Standard, Express - $5 additional charge per signature added to grading fee for tier.

Additionally, I know in the past, each witness built their own fees into the signature acquisition in conjunction with the standard CGC submission fees. I know some witnesses like NYComics and DesertWindComics publish their witness fees and others would cut me some deals depending on the amount of books sent their way. Does this new, centralized direction on CGC's part mean there will now be a standardized pricing scale for books regardless of who you work with or will the facilitators have the same flexibility to set prices as before?

Thanks!

-Forrest

The Facilitators will have the same flexibility as they had before in regards to pricing. They have costs they need to cover like signing fees, time, insurance and materials.

My question is not so much for comic guests but what about a con that gets the one shot media guest? CGC can't be everywhere all of the time.

I don't normally attend the big national type shows. What is someone like me who attends cons in Texas suppose to do? I just recently over the last year started collecting SS and part of the enjoyment of it is to have a book signed while I'm there.

If I wanted to send a book to someone else just to have it signed I might as well buy a book already signed and slabbed. That's not for me.

I'm definitely disappointed.

I'm sorry you are disappointed, Don.

In Texas, off the top of my head, I can think of 6 people CGC would consider using as a Contract Authorized Witness, so I do think there is a possibility of you being able to continue on as before.

If there is a show that you want to get some signatures at, start a thread here or PM some of your Texas former witnesses. Chances are that they want signatures too and are trying to make it work.

If you want to get the books signed yourself and meet the person, you can still do that. Just coordinate with the Contract Authorized Witness or the Facilitator. The only thing different is that there will be 1 more person watching.

Question--I have two books that were signed on 12/8/09 with a witness present. I wanted to get those books signed at Emerald City. So are these books no longer worthy of the yellow label because if that's the fact, then I have one book with four sigs (McNiven, MO!, Vines, Wein) and another with two sigs (Miki and Wein) on them which are, at best, a green label. But these sigs were obtained prior to the new rules which were in effect as of 1/1/10. What now?

I'm sorry, I need more information. Are the books currently certified as Signature Series? Are you a former witness? (I'm sorry I don't recognize your handle & I don't know who you are :( ) Is a former witness like JJ holding your books?

A little more info and I'll can help you out. (thumbs u

I'm sorry, I need more information. Are the books currently certified as Signature Series? Are you a former witness? (I'm sorry I don't recognize your handle & I don't know who you are :( ) Is a former witness like JJ holding your books?

A little more info and I'll can help you out. (thumbs u

All these supernerds, with their questions made Plitch go crazy! He's talking to himself now!

How will these changes affect those who are trying to obtain signatures from film and TV cast members who aren't dirtectly associated with comics and may attend events where comics aren't featured?

We are working with Celebrity Authentics (who are following the exact same rules as everyone else, I want to make that crystal clear) on that front. Check out their website for details and what will be offered in the future: www.celebrityauthentics.com

SDCC this year will be crazy for these sort of signings and we are planning to bring a large crew so that we can handle these requests. :wishluck: