• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the grade game!

310 posts in this topic

why dont you call cgc or go to the ask cgc forum if you truely are looking for answer to questions....instead of just making a thread asking NON cgc employees

cause dude it looks like your here to bash ....

why doesn't everyone go direct and ask the CGC? Why does this forum exist?

think about what you just said mschmidt .....

"There's a huge difference between a 5.0 book going to a 4.5, and a 9.4 book going to a 9.0."

this is correct, it's EASIER for a 9.4 to be downgraded to a 9.0 than it is for a 5.0 to be downed to a 4.5. :makepoint:

No.

Weren't you leaving?

WOW, that's such an informed answer. :wishluck:

I will at least give reasons why I said what I said.

IMO A book in 5.0 needs to suffer more than a 9.4 to affect the grade. If I ding a 5.0, it might make little or no difference. If I ding a 9.4 it will make a drastic difference.

What say you?

I don't have an anti CGC agenda. I'm just confused at how a book with a dust shadow(defect) get's such a high grade. One that signifies a potentially double guide price. Not to mention the pencil, which is not an arrival date.

I started this thread to get other "opinions" and it seems the only "opinions" given were based on the actual grade given, without light to any reasoning.

I agree with some grades given, but other's I don't understand how they arrived at.

I feel when someone is paying such huge sums based on "official slabbed grades", they should be "true". Why isn't is a 9.2 or a 9.0? Isn't THAT a good enough grade for that book? Now I understand there is what is called the "GA bump", which I don't agree with.

I deal with many pro dealers like Payette, Rogovin, Metropolis, Pacific, Comic Link and just don't understand it. Rather than jump on me saying I'm here to bash,..... help me out! Explain it to me so I understand better. I've sold many books to these dealers whom have almost NEVER questioned my grading.

I thought this was a "collectors society", sharing opinions.

Basically, those who gave the 9.4 cheated because they saw the answer, and spoiled other opinions.

I go by Overstreet guidelines.

Sure you do meh

Every single post you've made on this board has either been a knee-jerk critical rant about CGC or a useless reply in a PGM thread (I'm sure the OP is thrilled that you graded their Avengers #4 a "5.625". Is that a new addition to the OSPG, perchance?).

You've brought nothing new to the table and seem intent on simply spouting off "I don't trust CGC", "I don't trust third-party grading", "I know a lot of dealers" at every given opportunity - which, surprise, surprise, isn't really the best way to get people to take you seriously around here.

And continuing with the "a 9.4 is a 9.0 on any other day"-spiel just makes you seem ignorant - because the truth of the matter is that the vast majority of 9.4 books re-submitted to CGC will, in fact, come back a 9.4 again. Some won't, that's true - the grade might have been soft, the book might have suffered damage inside the slab, or CGC might have made a mistake to begin with - but that's the exception, not the rule. Your grand-standing makes it seem like CGC's grading is completely random ... which is ludicrous.

If you're really curious as to why this book was graded a 9.4, why don't you call CGC and ask them? I'm personally not surprised it graded that high - CGC has always been lenient on sun-shadows which is just one of the ways their grading differs from Overstreet.

If their grading as you say "differs" from Overstreet in many ways, then why is Overstreet used as a guide to price a book from?

And thanks for taking the time to explain yourself.

I thought grading was based on overstreet.

Does any "grading company" publish a grading guide so I can throw my Overstreet out the window when I purchase slabbed books?

Since we are just asking random questions here I want to play :)

Why doesn't McDonald's sell hotdogs?

At a movie theater which arm rest is yours?

What is Satan's last name?

Why do doctors leave the room when you change? They're going to see you naked anyway.

Where does the toetag go on a dead person if they don't have toes?

If your driving a federal owned car, and you run a stop sign, is it considered a felony?

Why is there a disclaimer on the Allstate Auto Insurance commericals that says "Not available in all states"?

If you dug a hole through the center of the earth,and jumped in, would you stay at the center because of gravity?

If a person dies and then springs back to life, do they get their money back for the coffin?

If you are asked to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth and your the main witness, what if you say "no"?

Do they bury people with their braces on?

How far east can you go before you're heading west?

How does a Real Estate company sell its office without causing confusion?

Do dentists go to other dentists or do they just do it themselves?

If, in a baseball game, the batter hits a ball splitting it right down the center with half the ball flying out of the park and the other half being caught, what is the final ruling?

If you were to get drunk in a country where the drinking limit is under 21, and went to the states and were still over the limit, could they arrest you for underage drinking even though you did not do the drinking in the states.

Why do people think that swaying their arm back and forth would change the direction of a bowling ball?

If girls with large breasts work at Hooters, then do girls with one leg work at IHOP?

Why is it that everyone driving faster than you is considered an insufficiently_thoughtful_person and everyone driving slower than you is a insufficiently_thoughtful_person?

If pro and con are opposites, wouldn't the opposite of progress be congress?

Why does grape flavor smell the way it is when actual grapes don't taste or smell anything like it.

If a lesbian has sex with other women but never with another man is she still considered a virgin?

If a kid refuses to sleep during nap time, are they guilty of resisting a rest?

Is it rude for a deaf person to talk (sign) with their mouth full of food?

If its 11:30 PM Dec 31 in Texas and 12:30 AM Jan 1st in New York and you have a New York driver's license that expires Jan 2007, does that mean your license has expired?

What's the difference between normal ketchup and fancy ketchup?

If a transvesite goes missing, would youu put their face on a carton of Half and Half?

Why is the Lone Ranger called 'Lone' if he always has his Indian friend Tonto with him?

When does it stop being partly cloudy and start being partly sunny?

Are eyebrows considered facial hair?

If a baby's leg pops out at 11:59PM but his head doesn't come out until 12:01, which day was he born on?

In the song Yankee Doodle, is he calling the horse or the feather "macaroni"?

Is there a time limit on fortune cookie predictions?

Since bread is square, then why is sandwich meat round?

Do they have the word "dictionary" in the dictionary?

Can you daydream at night?

OK, now we're getting somewhere!

I'll bet a lot of people don't know this.

Can someone please tell me where to pick up a copy of the CGC grading guidelines?

oh... it's a secret? huh?

So, your going to spend $50,000 extra on a book based on a "secret formula?"!

:insane:

Can someone please tell me where to pick up a copy of the CGC grading guidelines?

Oh, wow - you've completely opened my eyes! I now know what a scam CGC is, and I will henceforth spread the gospel just like you're doing! No more CGC 9.4 books for me, only raw 1.25, 8.25, and 5.625 copies will do!

Thank you so much, casarachi - thank you!

Oh, wow - you've completely opened my eyes! I now know what a scam CGC is, and I will henceforth spread the gospel just like you're doing! No more CGC 9.4 books for me, only raw 1.25, 8.25, and 5.625 copies will do!

Sorry, I didn't realize that 2nd & 3rd #s after the decimal would give you such a headspin.

Sorry, I didn't realize that 2nd & 3rd #s after the decimal would give you such a headspin.

A 1,000 point grading scale would make anybody's head spin :screwy: