• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Submitting to CGC from Canada
1 1

15 posts in this topic

Wondering if any fellow Canadians could fill me in on how much extra hassle and expenses I am in for if I submit to CGC from north of the border? I'm thinking of getting a Collectors Society Premium membership with the three coupons.

I've only sent two lots of books to CGC for grading, but other than the shipping fees each way, I've never had any extra hassles.

Be sure to keep the paperwork from the outbound shipment, though. There's not supposed to be a duty on goods sent to the US for appraisal that are being returned to you. It's a good idea to keep copies of your CGC submission form and Canada Post receipt just in case Canada Customs dings you anyway.

(thumbs u

I've only sent two lots of books to CGC for grading, but other than the shipping fees each way, I've never had any extra hassles.

Be sure to keep the paperwork from the outbound shipment, though. There's not supposed to be a duty on goods sent to the US for appraisal that are being returned to you. It's a good idea to keep copies of your CGC submission form and Canada Post receipt just in case Canada Customs dings you anyway.

(thumbs u

What kind of return shipping fees should I be prepared for? I am thinking of sending five books.

CGC shipped my books using FedEx and with insurance. If you've got an idea of the value of your books, you ought to be able to find a shipping calculator at the Fedex website.

This reminds me... I've got a set of coupons expiring soon. I should probably put together an order myself.

Make sure you include 3 copies of a shipping invoice in an envelope taped to the outside of the package. Mark the envelope "commercial invoice".

On the invoice itself, include your name/address and the recipient name/address.

Then you should itemize the contents. I usually list the books like this:

QTY DESCRIPTION VALUE/PER TOTAL VALUE

5 Used books for evaluation $xxxx $xxxx

Then I put in GREAT BIG BOLD TYPE:

NO COMMERCIAL VALUE. CONTENTS ARE FOR EVALUATION PURPOSES ONLY AND WILL BE RETURNED TO SENDER.

For 5 books, I would expect that the return shipping via Fedex will be around $30-40.

Any Canadapost or Fed Ex outlet will have commercial invoices for you to fill out. Just fill it out as drewincanada explained and you'll be fine. Otherwise you get dinged a $15 fee as the box reenters customs.

Package well (See Boozad's thread at the stickied section of Comics General) and you'll be fine.

R.

Note that CGC will charge $60 return shipping via FedEx for up to ten books, price increases from there. It's generally only worth submitting from Canada if you have a bunch of books to spread the costs over many... I've been submitting through my LCS the last year now - bigger batches really knock down the price.

Collector's society coupons might benefit, but only if you intend to submit some big dollar books.

Make sure you include 3 copies of a shipping invoice in an envelope taped to the outside of the package. Mark the envelope "commercial invoice".

On the invoice itself, include your name/address and the recipient name/address.

NO COMMERCIAL VALUE. CONTENTS ARE FOR EVALUATION PURPOSES ONLY AND WILL BE RETURNED TO SENDER.

For 5 books, I would expect that the return shipping via Fedex will be around $30-40.

Drew, unless all this was included on the box that CGC sends back to you then how can you be sure there won't be any duties? Shipping to the US is easy.... it's getting them back when you roll the dice. My last 3 shipments cleared okay but their shipping charge to Canada is crazy expensive.

I will be submitting at WW show at the end of the month.

Another option is to piggy back your books with your LCS that is a CGC dealer... longer wait but it pays off on small orders.

If you want to cut costs feel free to send me a PM. I submit regularly and it will likely be cheaper. There are quite a few ways to save $$. Seems there are a few discrepancies in this thread.

Edited by branget

Drew, unless all this was included on the box that CGC sends back to you then how can you be sure there won't be any duties? Shipping to the US is easy.... it's getting them back when you roll the dice. My last 3 shipments cleared okay but their shipping charge to Canada is crazy expensive.

I will be submitting at WW show at the end of the month.

Another option is to piggy back your books with your LCS that is a CGC dealer... longer wait but it pays off on small orders.

Hi Bruno,

CGC knows to include a copy of the commercial invoice with the waybill on the return package. They've always done it for me. But you can just send them an email or give them a call to confirm that they do it.

Sorry about my misstated shipping fees. I always have CGC use my company's Fedex account number for the return shipping, so Fedex bills me directly. Perhaps I get a better rate because I'm not paying CGC for a markup?

On 3/9/2010 at 5:44 PM, drewincanada said:

Hi drewincanada

Is this information still accurate in 2019 ?

Thanks !