• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Am I wasting my time buying CGC 9.8's.....
1 1

155 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

There's only 1 Gem Mint between all 4 books, IIRC. I think TDKR #3 has it.

thanks. i thought there was a CGC 10 #1. I could look at the census but I choose to remain in the dark.

9 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

There's only 1 Gem Mint between all 4 books, IIRC. I think TDKR #3 has it.

is that because its in a 

giphy.gif

If I am buying a modern book then I'm going to look for 9.8 only unless I get a really good deal on a 9.6.

I have yet to go lower than a 9.6 on a modern book but I suppose if it was a book I really wanted and was hard to find I might go for a lower grade.

If I am submitting books I really don't mind what they come back as since I'm just submitting them for fun and my personal collection and making sure they are protected. I submit worthless books anyway that only have value to me so grade isn't too much of an issue but obviously the higher the better.

2 hours ago, shadroch said:
On 3/14/2010 at 9:28 AM, Hammerhead said:

Sometimes I feel like a sucker paying these crazy prices for CGC 9.8's, but man there are many out there buying them!

In twenty years, will that still be the case? Will the grading companies survive? 

20 years... from when?

As a legitimate question from early in the days of CGC slabbing, we've now reached 20 years.  CGC "opened to the public" on January 1, 2000, so we're a few weeks from the 20th anniversary.

As a question from 2010 (when the Hammerhead quote was made), we're already half-way there.

As a question for today, I'd be surprised if CGC can't survive another 20 years since the hardest thing about the first 20 years was convincing people the product should even exist.  At this point, it's ubiquitous to comic collecting (for raw comics above $100 value, for sure).

19 minutes ago, valiantman said:

20 years... from when?

As a legitimate question from early in the days of CGC slabbing, we've now reached 20 years.  CGC "opened to the public" on January 1, 2000, so we're a few weeks from the 20th anniversary.

As a question from 2010 (when the Hammerhead quote was made), we're already half-way there.

As a question for today, I'd be surprised if CGC can't survive another 20 years since the hardest thing about the first 20 years was convincing people the product should even exist.  At this point, it's ubiquitous to comic collecting (for raw comics above $100 value, for sure).

good or bad, this

Edited by NoMan

23 minutes ago, valiantman said:

20 years... from when?

Good post this...

3 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:
8 minutes ago, NoMan said:

good or bad, this

Hmmm

I guess it comes down to perspective.

I wonder if its brought more people to the hobby

See the source image

1 hour ago, IbukiLord said:

If I am buying a modern book then I'm going to look for 9.8 only unless I get a really good deal on a 9.6.

I have yet to go lower than a 9.6 on a modern book but I suppose if it was a book I really wanted and was hard to find I might go for a lower grade.

If I am submitting books I really don't mind what they come back as since I'm just submitting them for fun and my personal collection and making sure they are protected. I submit worthless books anyway that only have value to me so grade isn't too much of an issue but obviously the higher the better.

I'm the same way on moderns, which are definitely the bulk of my slabs, though when I first started out I bought a couple 9.4s

ASM 361

And 

Vengeance of Bane

But for the most part moderns are very reasonable in 9.8s

21 minutes ago, revat said:

See the source image

for some reason your avatar looks like the director Joel Miller behind the camera from a scene from Bloodsucking Freaks also alternatively titled The Incredible Torture Show.

Edited by NoMan

7 hours ago, valiantman said:

20 years... from when?

It wouldn't shock me if the  monthly comic  on printed paper is history in twenty years. Even if it does exist, who do you think will be looking for a twenty year old comic?

16 hours ago, valiantman said:

20 years... from when?

Surely the plastic used to make CGC cases will be banned in 20 years...