• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Am I wasting my time buying CGC 9.8's.....
1 1

155 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Surely the plastic used to make CGC cases will be banned in 20 years...

I dont think ban on plastic use in general will happen in the next 100 years but I can see the 20 years for single use plastics as they end up in the oceans and scattered all over the land. I dont see many CGC cases floating in the ocean. 

1 hour ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Maybe they will return to glass

I dont think CGC ever used glass.. 

glass would probably be the worst for comics in my opinion; as it can intensify the heat sources from certain lights which would further cause increased damage on comics just my opinion. 

Edited by Krismusic

19 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

I dont think ban on plastic use in general will happen in the next 100 years but I can see the 20 years for single use plastics as they end up in the oceans and scattered all over the land. I dont see many CGC cases floating in the ocean. 

Where do all the discarded cases go?

1 minute ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

not sure to be honest I am hoping they recycle them instead of tossing them around the beach.. or down the sewer drain. 

2 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

I think read somewhere from another boardie saying the mylars and discarded cases are recycled and reused again.. I'll see if I can find that thread again.

16 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

I think read somewhere from another boardie saying the mylars and discarded cases are recycled and reused again.. I'll see if I can find that thread again.

As far as I know the cases aren’t recyclable.(shrug)

2 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

may I ask why do you think that? 

Can't they be shredded down and melted to form new plastics maybe not food or beverage plastics but I can see it being used for other plastic things it could be mixed with other plastics to be shells. for devices etc.. 

7 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

well I created a thread about this asking CGC in the "Ask CGC" part of the forum lets see what happens there I guess. 

2 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

may I ask why do you think that? 

Can't they be shredded down and melted to form new plastics maybe not food or beverage plastics but I can see it being used for other plastic things it could be mixed with other plastics to be shells. for devices etc.. 

Depends on the composite of materials.

3 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Depends on the composite of materials.

yeah agreed, but most plastic is recyclable it just depends on which facility takes them. but most can be mixed with other things such as clothing, building materials, carpets etc.. 

So if CGC has large amounts of plastic waste I am sure they could find a recycler that would take their bins and use them.. our company gets paid a bit from all the scrap vinyl and metal we have.. 

taken from Canadian plastics industry website. 

What is Recycling?

For plastics, recycling is a process where different types of plastics are melted, then blended with new raw materials to create pellets or powder that companies use to create new packaging and products. This can be ‘closed loop’ recycling, where a recycled bottle might become a new bottle or the end product may be something completely new, such as when a bottle is recycled to into a fleece jacket, or a shopping bag becomes carpet or board for a backyard deck.

Recycling seems like a simple process, but it's tricky. It can be like using a recipe that will only work if you start with the right ingredients then prepare exactly according to instructions

1 minute ago, Krismusic said:

yeah agreed, but most plastic is recyclable it just depends on which facility takes them. but most can be mixed with other things such as clothing, building materials, carpets etc.. 

So if CGC has large amounts of plastic waste I am sure they could find a recycler that would take their bins and use them.. our company gets paid a bit from all the scrap vinyl and metal we have.. 

taken from Canadian plastics industry website. 

What is Recycling?

For plastics, recycling is a process where different types of plastics are melted, then blended with new raw materials to create pellets or powder that companies use to create new packaging and products. This can be ‘closed loop’ recycling, where a recycled bottle might become a new bottle or the end product may be something completely new, such as when a bottle is recycled to into a fleece jacket, or a shopping bag becomes carpet or board for a backyard deck.

Recycling seems like a simple process, but it's tricky. It can be like using a recipe that will only work if you start with the right ingredients then prepare exactly according to instructions

Can you source this assertion? I don't think that's true.

This is a good article on what plastic does to the environment when its thrown to waste.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic_pollution

Regarding glass casing, I am aware of the negative effects it has to the preservation of comic books, that's not what I was referring too. Glass was used to encapsulate liquids ect prior to the introduction of plastic.

I doubt CGC will ever go out of business. There is a high demand for graded comics at shows and online.

I suppose even people who read raws can have their comics graded if they want, once they are finished.

For me a 9.8 encapsulated comic has more eye appeal, not just for the comic itself, but the grade. To be fair the more I delve into the hobby, the more I just buy what I want.

Like recently I splurged on a 8.5 Forever People, just because I wanted the First Full appearance of Darkseid.

I like my comics slabbed, especially keys, because I most likely will just read them online, whereas comics I have no intention of slabbing, I read from the comfort of my home.

Edited by Hollywood1892

I'm finding it harder to understand why people put so much faith into 3rd party grading companies.  At the end of the day its only their opinion and its been demonstrated time and time again that the same book gets a different grade on many occasions.

I can't even recall all the times I've had a book graded 9.6 and then cracked it out and sent it in again and received a 9.8.

Also many books I've sent in thinking it would get 9.2 and they give it a 9.8

A lot of people paying a lot of money for an opinion by that one grader on that one specific day, hoping you don't get that harsh grader who nitpicks anything on the book 

or the loose grader who misses those same flaws.  

The high volume of books churning through has caused a wide variety of "opinions" and not much weight on consistent standards.

12 minutes ago, Red_Hood said:

I'm finding it harder to understand why people put so much faith into 3rd party grading companies.  At the end of the day its only their opinion and its been demonstrated time and time again that the same book gets a different grade on many occasions.

I can't even recall all the times I've had a book graded 9.6 and then cracked it out and sent it in again and received a 9.8.

A lot of people paying a lot of money for an opinion by that one grader on that one specific day, hoping you don't get that harsh grader who nitpicks anything on the book 

The high volume of books churning through has caused a wide variety of "opinions" and not much weight on consistent standards.

Because sellers on Ebay (in the 1990s) were constantly selling 7.5s that they called "near mint".  CGC isn't perfect, but 9.2 to 9.8 opinions are much, much better than sellers with 7.5 books calling them "near mint".

44 minutes ago, Red_Hood said:

I have to agree, which makes buying slabbed comics, that much more dangerous, nevertheless until the bottom falls out, I will continue to buy.

31 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Because sellers on Ebay (in the 1990s) were constantly selling 7.5s that they called "near mint".  CGC isn't perfect, but 9.2 to 9.8 opinions are much, much better than sellers with 7.5 books calling them "near mint".

That is a wide berth, which probably gives alot more credibility to CGC and CBCS.

And its ignorant to say CGC is a flash in the pan company, and of course nobody is saying that. But companies that stay around for as long as they have, have garnered trust in the consumer.

Comics itself is a whole other subject outside of grading.

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Can you source this assertion? I don't think that's true.

https://www.plastics.ca/PlasticTopics/RecyclingPlastics

this might be true to Canada as from what I read many plastic recyclers in Canada expand their types of plastic's that can be recycled. I do know that for consumer waste generally most plastic isn't sorted as the logistics makes it cost ineffective. but if its a large shipment of plastic is organized properly it can maybe then be re-used, etc.. 

Sorry for digressing from the Topic.