• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your Magazine collection.
26 26

8,218 posts in this topic

On 9/5/2019 at 10:39 PM, Brandon Shepherd said:

No! I must not look at this thread any longer! I will be tempted to search for beauties like these and spend money!!

Must resist...

Me too , thread is burning a hole in my pocket🤔🤔🎉🎉🎉😃

I generally disagree with the claim by so many that it’s the first “Rocket Raccoon” myself. Much like the Conan “tryout” in Chamber of Darkness 4, the character Rocky Raccoon in this mag is clearly based on the Beatles song character. He’s got a British accent for crying out loud.  Close, but no cigar.  That being said, I LOVE this cover and the content. And you’re right, dang those high prices. Wow on that copy!  Hard to find such great cover centering, and looks like the color strike is awesome. 

Edited by Stevemmg

8 hours ago, Stevemmg said:

I generally disagree with the claim by so many that it’s the first “Rocket Raccoon” myself. Much like the Conan “tryout” in Chamber of Darkness 4, the character Rocky Raccoon in this mag is clearly based on the Beatles song character. He’s got a British accent for crying out loud.  Close, but no cigar.  That being said, I LOVE this cover and the content. And you’re right, dang those high prices. Wow on that copy!  Hard to find such great cover centering, and looks like the color strike is awesome. 

I agree,

if only everyone else did 

16 hours ago, Stevemmg said:

He is a cigar smoking wise cracking racoon in space who carries an oversize gun around with him. "Oh, and in case there is any doubt that the “Rocky” who showed up in Marvel Preview is the actual Rocket Raccoon who will appear in the movies, in an afterward to his Rocket Raccoon #1 in 1985, Bill Mantlo does specifically state that Rocky and Rocket are the same character.  So there you have it, True Believers, the first appearances and origin of Rocket Raccoon." https://bamsmackpow.com/2014/08/08/first-appearances-rocket-raccoon-retro-review/ 

So, we now know that Rocket Racoon is immortal, or time travels, or can dimension jump to Earth 7614, as Preview 7 takes place 10,000 years in the future

25 minutes ago, the blob said:

He is a cigar smoking wise cracking racoon in space who carries an oversize gun around with him. "Oh, and in case there is any doubt that the “Rocky” who showed up in Marvel Preview is the actual Rocket Raccoon who will appear in the movies, in an afterward to his Rocket Raccoon #1 in 1985, Bill Mantlo does specifically state that Rocky and Rocket are the same character.  So there you have it, True Believers, the first appearances and origin of Rocket Raccoon." https://bamsmackpow.com/2014/08/08/first-appearances-rocket-raccoon-retro-review/ 

So, we now know that Rocket Racoon is immortal, or time travels, or can dimension jump to Earth 7614, as Preview 7 takes place 10,000 years in the future

17 hours ago, Stevemmg said:

Deadpool is clearly far, far away in his current incarnation from his first appearances. Even his movie appearances mirror that difference from first to last.

I consider the first Rocket appearance closer to the Ant-Man from Tales to Astonish #27 to the later version rather than Chamber of Darkness #4 and Conan. In that case (Chamber Of Darkness #4) Marvel was floating a “one shot” try out knowing Conan was coming up and no intention of continuing that one appearance barbarian character. Rocket was more of an appearance that lead to more appearances and later the character evolved (like Deadpool) in the process.

There have been a number of first appearances of characters that changed dramatically over time.

On 9/11/2019 at 9:19 PM, shiverbones said:

That is a valid point too, the way I feel about it, if I cared about rocket, I would want it. Semantics and first app grey areas be damned, but I don’t, so it’s too expensive for me :)

20 hours ago, Stevemmg said:

I really enjoy the quality discussion on the boards. Good points and food for thought. 

One of the more interesting conversations I had was a number of years ago with the late Len Wein. I believe it started with how the Wolverine had come about in Hulk and then later included in the new X-Men and the many changes to the character in both appearance and personality after his introduction. We brought up the Beast who Stan completely altered his personality early on in the original X-Men. He goes from a Ben Grimm type to Reed Richards type rather quickly. Black Widow was in there. More current and often strange changes like the origins of Psylocke who began as a white girl in a non US Marvel comic or my favorite for the sheer amount of twists and turns was Mockingbird. Check out her Wikipedia entry sometime if you’re not familiar with her background.

The point being that a great many characters in comics were ever changing in both appearance and in personality based on the time period and who was writing them. I do think it’s pretty cool from a historical perspective in comics that various writers would pick out characters from other writers and use or build upon them in new ways. Sometimes these characters were nothing more than throwaways or pretty minor players that someone else decided to run with.

Anyway that’s my take. Yes, there are any number of first or early appearances of characters in comics that little resemble what they became later.