• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your Magazine collection.
26 26

8,218 posts in this topic

Finally picked up a copy of Savage Tales #1. It was bothering me that I did not have the first appearance of Man Thing. With this issue I think I have the first appearance of every Marvel character that was created from 1/1959 to 12/1979. :cloud9:

F66352F7-FE3C-47E5-A9F8-AB8615D5B5D3_zps3mrsgdke.png

:applause:

Sold mine a few years back and I still haven't replaced it.

One of the biggest holes in my collection.

Finally picked up a copy of Savage Tales #1. It was bothering me that I did not have the first appearance of Man Thing. With this issue I think I have the first appearance of every Marvel character that was created from 1/1959 to 12/1979. :cloud9:

Yeah, those magazines have been overlooked for a long time. Many Marvel characters made their first appearances in the ol' B&W pages, Satanna, Rocket Raccoon, Starlord, Valeria, and probably a lot more that I can't think of right now.

Yeah, those magazines have been overlooked for a long time. Many Marvel characters made their first appearances in the ol' B&W pages, Satanna, Rocket Raccoon, Starlord, Valeria, and probably a lot more that I can't think of right now.

:headbang: Who is Valeria? :popcorn: That name is not ringing a bell.

Her. From Savage Tales #2. She eventually made her way to the regular color comic.

Red-Nails-01.jpg

Although I think most folks remember her from the Conan movie, although that wasn't the true Valeria. Rather a mix between Valeria and Belit.

163756.jpg.c6c3cee223586205589e52729d3f8884.jpg

Her. From Savage Tales #2. She eventually made her way to the regular color comic.

Red-Nails-01.jpg

Although I think most folks remember her from the Conan movie, although that wasn't the true Valeria. Rather a mix between Valeria and Belit.

:popcorn: Have a copy of Savage Tales 2. So I am good with every first appearace statement. :banana:

Sweet copy! I gotta get me one of those!

I picked up an early Heavy Metal (#5) at my LCS which had a Den story but no Arzach, unfortunately - is Heavy Metal a title that is collected at all?

Barely.

Which is great as the issues are quite affordable.

As far as I can tell Heavy Metal is an after thought to most magazine collectors and it seems that most people who would purchase back issues for nostalgic reasons more often than not buy/download digital collections.

I picked up an early Heavy Metal (#5) at my LCS which had a Den story but no Arzach, unfortunately - is Heavy Metal a title that is collected at all?

Doesn't seem to be. I still wonder why OSPG took The title out of the guide years ago and never put it back despite several similar type magazines are listed.

I noticed yesterday that the OSPG took the title out, too - that's not a good sign.

Anyway, an inexpensive nostalgia purchase and I enjoyed the issue. :)

Even if Overstreet doesn't appreciate it there's some nice stuff in there, as I'm a lifelong Richard Corben and Jean Giraud / Moebius fan, and lots more great work from many extremely talented European artists.

fm2_zpschjctrrp.jpg

Nice! Never seen this before, what date is it from?

My guess would be the 80's since it has a bar code on the cover, and they not so cleverly reused the Creepy #1 cover.....

What, you don't think "FUN BOOK" is clever? lol

....as opposed to "Funnybook", which is why we are here??? :idea: