• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics & Life

212 posts in this topic

I do not expect this thread to last very long here. I fully expect CGC's mods to take it down as they cannot face truth. I seek justice for the estate of Jerry Bails, who passed away November 2006.

Jerry Bails basicly invented comics fandom, for those who do not recognize the name, back in early 1961, with the invention of the first super hero comics fanzine, Alter Ego.

In Feb 2007 I was asked to come to Detroit to handle selling the remnants of his once proud collection. In the end, Jerry had hung on to his beloved All Star Comics un featuring his favorites, The Justice Society of America.

Never an "ambulance chaser" in this field, I waited until May 2007 to go there

Wishing to generate publicity for Jerry's All Stars, I started a thread here in the Gold section titled, well, Jerry's All Stars. It appears to have disappeared as CGC tries to white wash what they accidentally perped to a couple of Jerry Bails' All Stars

Namely, CGC some how accidentally placed a 2x4 inch piece of packing tape onto the title area of the front cover of All Star #7.

One of CGC's so-called "experts" also succeeded in popping the lower staple of All Star #8, first Wonder Woman, off being attached to the book. It was firmly attached when I hand delivered Jerry Bails' All Star run to CGC HQ in Florida back in June 2007

They also kept All Star #22 for over two years, only returning it a few months ago

They refuse to acknowledge they did this, more over, refuse to justly compensate the estate of Jerry Bails for the damage they did.

When Steve Borock hand delivered the box of encapsulated All Stars to me at the San Diego Comicon that summer, CGC was right across the aisle from me that year in the Gold Silver Pavilion, he informed me CGC was prepared to offer a paltry $300 for the damage they acknowledge a CGC employee did to the #7

I scoffed at such a BS low ball amount. I said then, and still say now, CGC's insurance company should buy these two books from the estate of Jerry Bails.

I am asking NOTHING for myself.

Only justice for Jerry's widow Jean

CGC's insurance company should pay $1200 for the #7 and $10,000 for the #8

CGC's response to date was have some one purporting to be a CGC lawyer threaten me with a lawsuit for some sort of "vendetta" perceived by them to be against poor Mark Haspel.

Where that thought pattern materializes from, only those yo-yos at CGC know for sure.

What do you listers here think of this?

best

Robert Beerbohm

http://www.blbcomics.com

Thanks a lot, PointFive, as I surely for the life of me could not locate the thread in their archives.

I have been in this comics game buying selling trading vintage comic books since placing my first mail order advert age 13 Oct 1966 in RBCC #47. These young whipper-snappers have another thing coming if they think I am going to roll over and go away on this concept of

Lovely to Handle,

Delightful to Hold

But if you should break it,

Consider It Sold

then they are sadly mistaken

I pursue no "vendetta" rather, simply, justice, as they damaged these two books

They also held All Star #22 for almost 2.5 years

All this would have been taken care of i had not devolved into mind-numbing pain due to zero cartilage in my hip joints which got replaced finally Oct 20 2009 out in LA at Saint Vincent's Medical Center in their Joint Replacement Institute. Am healing now.

The stress of what CGC did to Jerry Bails' All Star #8 began inducing electrical brain seizures, now also in healing mode. Bob Be Back, And this pity bull is not giving up.

CGC: Do the Right Thing.

www.BLBcomics.com

http://www.facebook.com/robert.beerbohm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYyttEu_NLU&feature=relateß

Member: Grand Comics Database : www.comics.org

Moderator: www.yahoogroups.com/subscribe/PlatinumAgeComics

best

Robert Beerbohm

I think you are just a little bit crazy.

But that's just me.

Okay. You had me until you posted this.

"The stress of what CGC did to Jerry Bails' All Star #8 began inducing electrical brain seizures, now also in healing mode. Bob Be Back, And this pity bull is not giving up."

Me thinks that the electrical brain seizures induced by an accident to a comic book, is just too much. Going by your theory, after I spent 50K on my sons education and he got a job working in a factory, I should explode in a ball of lighting.

best

Robert Beerbohm

I think you are just a little bit crazy.

But that's just me.

I don't think he's crazy for trying to help Bails' widow. I think it's admirable. Bails did an immense amount of important early comic book research.

Okay. You had me until you posted this.

"The stress of what CGC did to Jerry Bails' All Star #8 began inducing electrical brain seizures, now also in healing mode. Bob Be Back, And this pity bull is not giving up."

Me thinks that the electrical brain seizures induced by an accident to a comic book, is just too much. Going by your theory, after I spent 50K on my sons education and he got a job working in a factory, I should explode in a ball of lighting.

Bob has a unique way of putting things, which can sometimes be a little over-the-top. He should also proofread carefully. But he's done a lot to advance knowledge of comic books. His intentions here seem totally honorable.

And yes, after your son got a factory job, you should feel entitled to blow up! Hopefully, after a dose of hard labor, he'll realize the value of using the skills you helped pay for!

I think we haven't heard CGC's side of the story. I'd be surprised if they believe they popped the staple on the All-Star #8.

I do think it's a bit odd to come onto CGC's message board with a thread like this. Seems like another site, maybe NOD's, would be more appropriate.

best

Robert Beerbohm

http://www.blbcomics.com

Bob, I think it's unfortunate you have to take this public. I hope you maintain your cool and act dispassionately to resolve the problem.

I suggest you move step by step, documenting each step, to resolve the problem. Perhaps one of the legal eagles on the board can help you get a good resolution.

Did you keep scans of the comics before they were submitted?

I think we haven't heard CGC's side of the story. I'd be surprised if they believe they popped the staple on the All-Star #8.

I do think it's a bit odd to come onto CGC's message board with a thread like this. Seems like another site, maybe NOD's, would be more appropriate.

Popped a staple (shrug)

Is the bottom staple even visible in this scan? I'm not sure. Just asking...

AllStar008WEB.jpg

I thought the same thing when I saw this scan, the bottom staple looks popped. Wasn't this a before CGC image ?

I wonder if the 300.00 CGC offered on the tape was an estimate to get it removed ?

Perhaps they sent it to Matt Nelson and knew it could be repaired.

I hope the mods leave this thread open for a while so these things can be politely discussed. From personal experience CGC has always been willing to take responsibility for any damage they incur. There must be two sides to this story.

I think we haven't heard CGC's side of the story.

yes....I also would like to hear from "the other side" before judgement is passed..... oh, and Bob..... :hi:

Obviously there are sour grapes here, and "something" happened that is most likely very rare and unfortunate for both parties. Kinda reminds me of the Detroit Trolley book ( can't remember which one ) that was very desirable and valuable -- a MMC low number comic? ,,,,,, anyway, CGC found it to be restored, and others in the hobby who looked at the book thought the "restoration" was some kinda' accidental stain that bled thru the cover and 1st few pages......another situation where CGC was bashed, and the books owner / owners were upset with CGC.

:signofftopic: ....but not really,,,,,,,,,,,,

I had a new GE washer that leaked, and the repairmen told him how statistcally rare it is to have a new washing machine leak ---- I can tell you as the owner of that machine, I didn't care about statistics....I just cared that I was the 1 in 100,000 where "something went very wrong"

Bob / CGC, I hope for both of you there is a way to shake hands, work something out, and move forward (thumbs u

Sounds like the MMC#5 I bought from Marnin.

color touch on f/c.

Tracey Heft: EclipsePaper.com - Without a doubt, in my mind, the book has some sort of coloration that is not original to the printing process. Please note, I did not specify "restoration". Someone, somewhere in the books 67 year history spilled, oversprayed or otherwise accidentally got some colorant on the top corner, cover edge and interior edges of the first 3 pages. It is my opinion that the intent was not to restore the book, but is simply an unexplained accident - such as using the book as a ruler to draw a straight line, or as an arm-rest while painting model kits, etc. Ultimately, we will never know how the foreign colorant arrived on the book. I could not, conduct any actual tests of the colorant as doing so would have damaged the book, so I can not tell if it was acrylic, india ink, watercolor, cranberry juice or what-have-you. By labeling the book as having "small amount of color-touch", CGC is implying that restoration has been done. I disagree and think the label should read along the lines of "foreign material at top of book". The book is therefore, not restored, but has a defect along the top edge.

Susan Cicconi: TheRestorationLab.com - I concur with Tracey Heft of Eclipse Paper Collectibles that the substance which is located at the upper right corner of the first folio of the Marvel #5 is some sort of foreign colorant that is not original to the printing process. It does not make sense to color touch at the very top edge of the first three folios in such a straight precise line where there is nothing to color touch on interior pages. It is clearly some sort of defect but in my professional opinion, it is not a deliberate decision by the owner/artist to attempt to cover something up by applying this foreign material. I also could not conduct any tests without damaging the book so therefore could not determine the kind of application as watercolor, acrylic, pen, India ink, cranberry in color material. I disagree with CGC labeling the book as "having a very minor amount of color touch" and agree with Tracey that it should read as there being the presence of some sort of foreign material which is not indicative of a cover-up restoration attempt. There are so many other small areas that could have been "color touched" on this book. Why was just this tiny corner, as well as along the top edge of the interior pages, singled out? In addition, this book is one of many I have inspected from the Detroit Trolley original owner collection, books which had been stored untouched for over 64 years, and to date, no other copy has exhibited any form of restoration.

Rob T. Hughes: ArchAngels.com (May 21, 2007) - After previewing an extreme close-up scan of the cover to Marvel Mystery Comics #5 and speaking with you about the various aspects of the area in question, it seems reasonable to me to conclude, without having actually seen the book in person, that the very tiny magenta coloring could be from the printing process and no color touch at all. Comic books were at this time, and still are, printed by a four color process called CMYK; C= Cyan (blue), M = Magenta (red), Y= Yellow and K = Black. The overall reddish-yellow color of the logo area is a common trait for these early Marvel Mystery comicbooks and was achieved by the printing press laying down a layer of magenta first and then a layer of yellow over the magenta. As is very common to Golden-Age comic books as well, the registration of these colors are a bit off, as can be seen in the magenta color area immediately under the "E" of Marvel to the right edge of the book (a thin sliver of white is also visible here as well). This magenta matches perfectly with the tiny corner area in question at the extreme top right. With this in mind, we can reasonably conclude that either the yellow ink was never printed on this small corner area, or that over time, the top layer of yellow has rubbed off or worn off in some way. Some kind of liquid could also has spilled on this area, causing the minor staining on a few wraps of the interior pages. This conclusion is highly the most probable since there is no other restoration, either color touch or otherwise, found anywhere else on this comic book.

For some reason I was thinking the AS #8 had color-touch, but at any rate it doesn't look like it would get a grade high enough to bring $10,000 at FMV - let alone a $10,000 difference between current condition and prior.

What made you decide on that number Bob?

Well, Mister Evans of Houston Texas, I will heartily concur with your assessment I be a tad crazy under the hood, yup, try loosing a million comic books to flooding back in 86, made me crazy for sure

Maybe it was from the On The Road scenario one can read in Between The Panels from Dark Horse, coming out of Houstoncon back summer 1973, headed to Dallas, Bud Plant and I did New York City a week after that even. All banged up, broken bones and all. Was a great Houstoncon that year, BTW, Roy B, Mark S, and crew put on some really fun great shows focused on nostalgia, not spine bends, as the hobby seems to be more interested in these days.

Still, that side bar note does not in any way negate the negligence demonstrated by some still unknown CGC person while handling Jerry Bails All Star mostly high grade white type paper run in their receiving area.

They owned up to the All Star #7 big hunk of mailing tape scenario from the git-go.

Yup, yes, indeedy, Mister Steve Borock admitted such to me before I even saw that book Wednesday afternoon at San Diedgo Comicon back summer 2007

Offered the paltry insult of three hunna dollas trying to tell me what this particular All Star #7 was worth prior to the big giant hunk of tape being accidentally placed by a CGC employee while they were first being received

Haspel has told me he gets to grade over 150,000 books a year.

Sounds like fun - NOT -:)

sounds boring to me, and when humans get bored, accidents occur, been my experience

150,000 books a year

sounds like a Campbell Soup Factory assembly for processing chickens, conveyor belt style, not slowing down, taking it easy and careful

I think the same yo-yo opened the All Star #8 too fast, popped the staple off

Makes the most sense

Crazy, eh?

Yup, and so are you and every one else who thinks some old funny book be worth a million smackers has longevity legs. Mister Meyer can inform us what happens when the bubble bursts. Not If, But When

CGC is accelerating the process, a simple function of history.

So, what else is new?

Mister Robert Beerbohm

www.BLBcomics.com

http://www.facebook.com/robert.beerbohm#!/pages/BLBcomicscom/103880122980738?ref=ts

Hello ConditionFreak

I did not elaborate re the brain seizures,

but lets get the macro picture on that concept,

as I should have, maybe I was waiting for some one to bring it up

thanks

See, coming out of Houstoncon back summer of 1973, Bud Plant, Terry Stroud, Swan and myself hit some of that good ol Texas Black Ice, brought on with a rain of maybe 5-10 minutes, just enough to make the road covered with fine dust be very slick, off the road we went, hit the pylon holding up an overpass.

Roger Nelson had invited us to New Orleans to check out Bourbon Street, plus his comic book store, of course, as we had tome to kill before the next week end's Dallas comicon, back in the days when those crazy Texans were feuding, so they had shows back to back, which us out of town dealers found out the hard way just do not justify the expense -:)

But I digress....

Long story short, check out On The Road in Between the Panels hardcover, I guess the most famous comic book accident of its day, to get into that fine volume

My cartilage was evidently crushed in the accident back then, then wore off at a faster rate, some 30+ years later leaving me bone on bone in my hip joints. 360 degrees of no cartilage left. I do not have arthritis in any other sockets & bones of my body

The surgeon in LA who repaired me said he had allocated 3.5 hours to replace both my hip joints, cutting off the tops of the femurs, jamming metal spikes down my leg bones, plus replacing the pelvic sockets with metal cups

Seems he had to then take an extra hour, shoving two more surgeries slated that day back an hour, just to scrape and pull out the HUNDREDS of bone fragments which had broken off, causing pain which I would not wish upon very many persons on this planet

When the body goes into 24/7 pain of great longevity, it overproduces stuff like adrenelin, seratonin, etc in efforts to fight said pain. Over time the electricity levels of one's brain goes down as it begins to wear out

Then great stress can trigger electrical brain seizures

And when i saw CGC blowing me off re the All Star 7 and 8 damage they did, yup, that was a stress level which induced.

See, just for the sake of argument, if they did not do this, that means I did

And i know I did not

best

robert

http://www.BLBcomics.com

hm

From what I've read here it sounds like the black ice is responsible for the popped staple...I think.