• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Native-American Indian Features

49 posts in this topic

The Texan had Hawk Knife by Baker. Oooh! And Cheyenne Joe.

4661962232_259d15c99f_b.jpg

Lone Rider had back up stories about Swift Arrow.

Fiction House had a title about the Apache Indians. Feature stories were about Geronimo and other well known native Americans. Avon had a story about Victorrio but it was a one shot. They also did an issue with Pawnee Bill but I don't think he is in the right genetic group.

4661962612_f3d3e19409_b.jpg

And while I was searching I saw this swipe by Johnson. Does anyone recognize the pose?

4661961992_9d0a0eb3c3_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

Thanks Ed. I got that issue of The Chief from you and I should also have mentioned Brave Eagle. Since I am buying all Four Colors, I wasn't thinking of IDing them but should have.

Here's a few Four Colors, plus Chief before it became Indian Chief.

scan0150.jpg

Lon Chaney and John Hart look pretty good. John also played the Lone Ranger with Jay Silverheels and Capt. Africa I think or maybe the Phantom.

Anyone know? He was pretty good as Hawkeye.

Edited by BB-Gun

Briefer wrote and drew stories about a couple of native American characters, Mantoka for Centaur and Real American for Lev Gleason.

4662630247_bc3c27e289_b.jpg

4663208676_29e206a2de_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

nativeamericans.jpg

Scrooge, I haven't read Native Americans in Comic Books but it seems like it might have the sort of info you'd want.

Also check: Link

It's awesome to have a fantastic local public library that carries this book for example. I'll go check out the book tomorrow. The chapter titles indicate that this might be a good read:

The Mohican syndrome and super "wannabes" : ain't nothin' like the real thing Multiethnic heroes : a case of (really!) mistaken identity

The Indian as sidekick : falling prey to more villains' traps by 10 A.M. than most people do all day

The Indian's sidekick : where's that new "temp" we hired?

Instant shaman (just add Indian)

Indigenous Trackers Union (ITU)

Sepia-toned prison : indigenous characters as historical artifacts

Modern-day native heroes : now with 25 percent fewer feathers!

Indigenous revision

Independent voices : Native American comics from smaller publishers

The video game crossover : indigenous comic book characters comin' straight atcha!

Native warriors : indigenous representation in the military

The power of indigenous women : PIW in action!

I am not sure it will have the checklist we are creating but it might turn up some features we missed.

Thanks BZ

4663333434_b03a995326_b.jpg

4663333290_8b7b430e74_b.jpg

Here's a nice painted cover for Indian Chief (wish I had a better copy) and Indians 1st issue mentions Long Bow and a few others. I have another issue which I can dig out but you probably have these Fiction House issues already.

Scrooge dont forget about the ultra rare, never seen, been looking for a copy for 18 years and have never even seen a picture, Drums of Doom. This would be the ultimate Native American book for me.

Tomahawk! (thumbs u

Turn in your CGC badge. :baiting:

oooopps. I thought he was looking for books with Native Americans in them, not just leading role characters. doh!

West

Here's a few Four Colors, plus Chief before it became Indian Chief.

scan0150.jpg

Lon Chaney and John Hart look pretty good. John also played the Lone Ranger with Jay Silverheels and Capt. Africa I think or maybe the Phantom.

Anyone know? He was pretty good as Hawkeye.

instead of a shield, did he throw a big round elephant-pie?