• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pre-Robin Tec Club
18 18

5,102 posts in this topic

I have this one. Can I join the club?

Tec 30 CGC 3.5 - Bought off Metro nearly 2 weeks ago, paid top dollar but it was worth every penny. :cloud9:

IMG_2654.jpg

:o:o:o

(worship)(worship)(worship)

Holy "I didn't exist yet" Bat-Man!

I thought it was awesome getting to see the pics you shared with me the other day but they really didn't do this treasure justice!

This book is phenomenal Alex.

Welcome to the club. :applause:

Maybe, just maybe we'll welcome you back if you can manage to find another.

Of course I only have one myself but...who's counting?

Tec 30 CGC 3.5 - Bought off Metro nearly 2 weeks ago, paid top dollar but it was worth every penny. :cloud9:

IMG_2654.jpg

I thought it was awesome getting to see the pics you shared with me the other day but they really didn't do this treasure justice!

Thanks!

Still having trouble finding good lighting to take pics.

And I need to fix the poly sleeve crease over the "3.5"

Well maybe I can find at least 1 more (or 7) :shy:

IMG_2654.jpg

Thanks!

No worries, I knew the crease was in the sleeve and it can't detract from such an AMAZING book.

It would be hard to top this one. hm

IMG_2654.jpg

Thanks!

No worries, I knew the crease was in the sleeve and it can't detract from such an AMAZING book.

I'm really pleased with it. Displays really well, higher than grade. (Wish I could see the splash)

Well you know I have two others that may have a shot at topping this one. :baiting::grin:

IMG_2654.jpg

Thanks!

I'm really pleased with it. Displays really well, higher than grade. (Wish I could see the splash)

Well you know I have two others that may have a shot at topping this one. :baiting::grin:

Well you know...they're always welcome here. :cloud9:

Terry O'Neil offered me a CGC .5 o/w Tec 31 last year before I bought my copy...it was sold to someone in NY and Yannis finally got it...not sure if this is the same copy Rockman, but Terry had offered it to me for $5500...

That sounds about right. Yannis gave me a great deal, accepting cash plus comics. My records show it was sold by amerweb on eBay (4/21/2008) with a Buy It Now of $4K. The slab went to a buyer on the West Coast who sold it to Terry's Comics. Terry sold it to someone on the East Coast. It fell off the back of a truck. (kidding) Yannis picked it up, bought it, sold it to me. Now it's back on the West Coast again.

If only this slab can talk, there might be a movie: The Brotherhood of the Traveling Comic Book.

I'm just surprised that the book has had that hard of a time finding a home. There are many collectors out there who would not only love to own a book like that but would make it the centerpiece of their personal collections.

I'm surprised Yannis let it go :P

My lone entry into the club...Matt Nelson says it has a 50/50 shot at a 5.5 and the CGC graders contemplated it...but I love it as is...

tec31cgc5-1.jpg

5.0, 5.5, who cares, it is a BEAUT...if only I were a rich man, i could have kept it :cry:

That's an incredible copy! You could have kept it, but was too focus on Superman 14 (hella cool book).

:jokealert:

I guess that is true...at the time, I had 5 copies of Tec 31 and 7 copies of superman 14... just that tec 31 goes for SO much more money, that I chose to sell them first, but the day of reckoning for supes 14 is coming (out of the 18 copies I have, 4 are already sold, so 13 to go, and one I will keep!)

As you said, if the offer is good take it and replace down the road. Recycle them. :headbang:

IMG_2654.jpg

Very nice book alex i almost bought that a few months ago, glad you got it

The Pre-Robin Tec Club list (update #2):

Tec #27: 0

Tec #28: 3

Tec #29: 1

Tec #30: 2

Tec #31: 4

Tec #32: 2

Tec #33: 3

Tec #34: 1

Tec #35: 5

Tec #36: 5

Tec #37: 2

*I've only updated the list so far to include books that have had their pictures posted for induction.

well you can add me to the "club" as a temporary member...i have this 35 for now,but it will be moved on to the new owner once i get a couple other pre-robin tecs,and 69,73 pulled together.

But i get to enjoy the moment!

IMGP1270-2-2.jpg

Edited by kryptospidey

I'm just surprised that the book has had that hard of a time finding a home. There are many collectors out there who would not only love to own a book like that but would make it the centerpiece of their personal collections.

If you're able to find a Tec 31 CGC 0.5 in the 5-6K range today, I say buy it. I've never seen a nicer 0.5. Here's a close-up scan.

BTW, I've acquired a back cover for this book. Do you think I should have it restored?

detect31.jpg

If you're able to find a Tec 31 CGC 0.5 in the 5-6K range today, I say grab it. I've never seen a nicer 0.5. Here's a close-up scan.

BTW, I've acquired a back cover for this book. Do you think I should have it restored?

detect31.jpg

I'd say leave it the way it is.

If you're wanting to enjoy it through the slab, I don't think the presence of a back-cover will enhance the experience all that much and if you're going to sell the book, I'm not so sure the purple label would make it much more valuable.

Granted it's a 0.5 but it is a beautiful 0.5 that presents phenomenally!

I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to call that a true Holy Grail.

Reminds me of my beloved Tec #33. :cloud9:

Missing back-cover but the front-cover's image is vivid and the PQ is impressive.

The only difference really is that a family of mice got to mine while yours remained safe but...Tec #31 < Tec #33 :grin:

If you're able to find a Tec 31 CGC 0.5 in the 5-6K range today, I say buy it. I've never seen a nicer 0.5. Here's a close-up scan.

detect31.jpg

I love it the way it is but would release it from the slabb.

detect31.jpg

Is this Johns old copy? If so, I believe it is an OO book. Nice nevertheless .

well you can add me to the "club" as a temporary member...i have this 35 for now,but it will be moved on to the new owner once i get a couple other pre-robin tecs,and 69,73 pulled together.

IMGP1270-2-2.jpg

:o

What about

You can add this 35 to the list of books that won't be seen again for sale,most likely for about 30 years.

So that's 1 less,even tho its a Plod.

Tec35-1.jpg

????

IMGP1270-2-2.jpg

What about

You can add this 35 to the list of books that won't be seen again for sale,most likely for about 30 years.

Tec35-1.jpg

????

This beatyful Tec 35 with extensive work reaches an apparent grade of 3.5.

But I have seen extensively restored GA books reach an apparent grade of 8.0 and as high as 8.5 !

But does this indicate that between two extensive plods such as those mentioned there can be 8-10 grade ticks (3.5 to 8.5) between the books *before* they were worked on?

This is what puzzles me: If you choose to go extensive on a book why stop at a 3.5ish apparent grade when you (perhaps?!?) can have an apparent grade of 8.5 or 9.0? Or is it only *some* Ext. restored books that can go that high, while others can 'only' make it to 3.0-4.0 with ext restoe?

And how big should the price difference be between an Ext 3.0 and an extensive 8.0 for instance ? Is there any price difference? Or is it just Extensive = one price for all copies no matter if their apparent are 3.0 or 8.0??

Sorry if I have derailed - I just keep on trying to understand this foggy restoe-theme in comics whenever I bump into something hard to understand. And restoe on the Classic Tecs will always be discussed I think.

Edited by Angelius Silesius

IMGP1270-2-2.jpg

What about

Tec35-1.jpg

????

This beatyful Tec 35 with extensive work reaches an apparent grade of 3.5.

But I have seen extensively restored GA books reach an apparent grade of 8.0 and as high as 8.5 !

But does this indicate that between two extensive plods such as those mentioned there can be 8-10 grade ticks (3.5 to 8.5) between the books *before* they were worked on?

This is what puzzles me: If you choose to go extensive on a book why stop at a 3.5ish apparent grade when you (perhaps?!?) can have an apparent grade of 8.5 or 9.0? Or is it only *some* Ext. restored books that can go that high, while others can 'only' make it to 3.0-4.0 with ext restoe?

And how big should the price difference be between an Ext 3.0 and an extensive 8.0 for instance ? Is there any price difference? Or is it just Extensive = one price for all copies no matter if their apparent are 3.0 or 8.0??

Sorry if I have derailed - I just keep on trying to understand this foggy restoe-theme in comics whenever I bump into something hard to understand. And restoe on the Classic Tecs will always be discussed I think.

there are a ton of reasons some ext can only get to 3.5 and others 8.5...

maybe the cover is so wrinkled and creased, that it is not visually apparent from the ouside (due to color touch, etc) but from the inside, looks really bad?

maybe there is a huge piece replacement vs several small piece replacements...

maybe it is quality of work, etc

tons of reasons, but absolutely the condition of the book BEFORE resto leads itself to the main reason...

so, a 3.5 ext vs a 8.5ext will have a huge price diff, just as a 3.5 vs a 8.5 will

this is my rule of thumb, though it by no means applies to all books

slight is generally 35-100%+ of unrestored FMV (depending on book)

mod is generally 25-35% (though some books, even ext restored sell for more than unrestored, just depends on rarity)

Ext is generally 15-25% (15% for lower grade ext and upto 25% of high grade ext)