• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frazetta painting sells for $1.5 million at San Diego Comicon

129 posts in this topic

If only i were in Metallica... :sorry:

So you're saying Lars bought it? Just a guess or do you know something?

Kirk Hammett bought the one that sold last year for $1M "Conan the Conqueror"

I would not be surprised if he is the buyer behind "Conan the Destroyer" too.

If so, I think he is pretty smart. getting in on the ground floor for two of the most iconic pieces. Frazetta prices are more than likely going to do nothing but go up.

If so, I think he is pretty smart. getting in on the ground floor for two of the most iconic pieces.

Not so.

If so, I think he is pretty smart. getting in on the ground floor for two of the most iconic pieces.

Not so.

Not so what? That he didn't purchase the $1million painting last time?

(he did and I know Kirk)

or Not so that the $1.5m wasn't Kirk?

(that I cannot answer yet ((haven't spoken to Kirk))

Not so.

(he did and I know Kirk)

The latter. "If so" relates to the dependant clause, not the stated fact.

Is this painted on a brown velvet background - the brushstrokes make it appear so?

yes, I believe this was painted during his Velvet Elvis period. Normally worked on black velvet but brown was indeed the weapon of choice this time.

just pulling your chain - don't know what its painted on for sure but I very very much doubt its velvet ;)

During his Velvet Elvis period, Frank often used peanut butter and pureed bananas instead of oil and acrylics ...... :baiting:

The Destroyer is a fantastic painting. Anyone know the dimensions and condition of the piece?

Cheers!

N.

During his Velvet Elvis period, Frank often used peanut butter and pureed bananas instead of oil and acrylics ...... :baiting:

The Destroyer is a fantastic painting. Anyone know the dimensions and condition of the piece?

Cheers!

N.

Nelson, what did he use to get those rich browns and bright yellows??

:roflmao:

Not so.

(he did and I know Kirk)

That's what I get for posting at 3am, a grammar lesson :baiting:

So do you not believe that the pieces were good buys? or just wanting to be a Wordy Birdy?

I hope Kirk did get the second painting. Wish I had that kinda scratch laying around. I would certainly buy a Frazetta Conan Oil over a minty fresh copy of Action 1...

and @comicartcom must be cool to personally know Kirk... Does he collect other comic art or just the big stuff like Frazetta masterpieces?

Here is the original painting as it appeared on the Lancer novelization. That painting as it was originally done no longer exists. If I remember correctly, Frazetta painted over the Conan figure and turned the painting into the one shown in this thread that was sold. If he didn't like a painting he did or thought he could improve it, that is just what he would do after the fact! I agree that the revised painting is much more powerful.

11_conan_buccaneer_fritz.jpg

So do you not believe that the pieces were good buys?

I, personally, have no opinion as to the value of these two pieces, but I do believe that the market determines the value, and that a confirmed sale price underlies that. :)

Here is the original painting as it appeared on the Lancer novelization. That painting as it was originally done no longer exists. If I remember correctly, Frazetta painted over the Conan figure and turned the painting into the one shown in this thread that was sold. If he didn't like a painting he did or thought he could improve it, that is just what he would do after the fact! I agree that the revised painting is much more powerful.

11_conan_buccaneer_fritz.jpg

its a little scary how much he tinkered with them but in this case I agree, its a much better painting for the changes

Not so.

(he did and I know Kirk)

That's what I get for posting at 3am, a grammar lesson :baiting:

So do you not believe that the pieces were good buys? or just wanting to be a Wordy Birdy?

I hope Kirk did get the second painting. Wish I had that kinda scratch laying around. I would certainly buy a Frazetta Conan Oil over a minty fresh copy of Action 1...

and @comicartcom must be cool to personally know Kirk... Does he collect other comic art or just the big stuff like Frazetta masterpieces?

he has a number of Frazettas, some of which I sold him. But his main collection is movie posters.

huh. hence your knowing him well. Interesting. wonder how many more frazettas he might buy (if this is indeed his purchase). $1.5m a pop adds up, even for rock stars. you can be in a very famous band with #1 singles and nonstop airplay and the whole nine yards and not make that much in a year depending on your deal and which rights you do and don't own. Obviously kirk's been big time for a long time and probably has good income rights but even so that's a lot of jack for just about anybody.