• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frazetta painting sells for $1.5 million at San Diego Comicon

129 posts in this topic

huh. hence your knowing him well. Interesting. wonder how many more frazettas he might buy (if this is indeed his purchase). $1.5m a pop adds up, even for rock stars. you can be in a very famous band with #1 singles and the whole nine yards and not make that much in a year depending on your deal and which rights you do and don't own. Obviously kirk's been big time for a long time and probably has good income rights but even so......

I don't think this one was him. I really I really don't. (thumbs u

There are many many fans of Frank's work with the means to pay this much for one of his premier oils. Just because it's Conan, and Kirk bought a Conan before, you should not assume he bought this one too.

Frank's Conan work is some of the most popular fantasy artwork of all time. To most people his Lancer Conan work marks the best of the best. Given that, given the offers Frank had for his Conan's from various people over the course of his life, and given how many people with means respect and love his oil paintings I don't know if it's a good idea to assume it's one guy doing the buying when there are many folks it could have been.

huh. hence your knowing him well. Interesting. wonder how many more frazettas he might buy (if this is indeed his purchase). $1.5m a pop adds up, even for rock stars. you can be in a very famous band with #1 singles and the whole nine yards and not make that much in a year depending on your deal and which rights you do and don't own. Obviously kirk's been big time for a long time and probably has good income rights but even so......

There are many many fans of Frank's work with the means to pay this much for one of his premier oils. Just because it's Conan, and Kirk bought a Conan before, you should not assume he bought this one too.

I, for a fact, know he didn't buy it.

I, for a fact, know he didn't buy it.

Well, yeah, there is that as well. lol

Frank's Conan work is some of the most popular fantasy artwork of all time. To most people his Lancer Conan work marks the best of the best. Given that, given the offers Frank had for his Conan's from various people over the course of his life, and given how many people with means respect and love his oil paintings I don't know if it's a good idea to assume it's one guy doing the buying when there are many folks it could have been.

wasn't assuming - I did say *if* ;) Glad to see the megabucks buyer pool is deeper than I thought! :)

wasn't assuming - I did say *if* ;) Glad to see the megabucks buyer pool is deeper than I thought! :)

Ah ok,

It all seemed to be getting so far down the road of Kirk being the buyer I thought we were going to discuss where he should hang it in the house next. lol

There are many many fans of Frank's work with the means to pay this much for one of his premier oils.

Can we quantify "many" please?

I really think it's a myth that there's more than 5-10 top dollar players in any hobby, and realistically less since not all 5-10 are ready/willing on any particular item at any particular time.

Rich - how many $500k+ movie poster buyers are there? Just asking because that's not my area of expertise but you'd probably know.

Glad to see the megabucks buyer pool is deeper than I thought! :)

the megabucks pool is very large, and it is directly proportionate to the "I work for a big corporation and I make $9.25 an hour" pool

True. But how many want a Frazetta painting?

exactly; I meant the megabucks-frazetta-buyer pool ...... but I guess we can't really answer that until we see how and if more sales shake down.

the megabucks pool is very large, and it is directly proportionate to the "I work for a big corporation and I make $9.25 an hour" pool

how many do youneed?

only a handful are enough

how many do you need?

couple, two-three, I imagine :grin:

Yes, of course, but I just want to be in Metallica and be rich enough to own multiple Frazettas! :headbang:

(instead i think i may have to be realistic and start saving my pennies and get one of the Clayburn Moore Frazetta inspired sculptures)

:hi:

how many do you need?

couple, two-three, I imagine :grin:

Yeah no doubt about that. lol

I can think of, just off the top of my head, 7 or so people with the desire and the cash to own a Frazetta oil at these prices. That's without really getting into it. Those are just some of the folks that, over the years, have made overtures to try and acquire a painting.

right but are they still interested? I mean asking about a painting 10 years ago doesn't assume you still want or can afford it now. I don't pretend to know anything about this segment of the market and from your comments it sounds like there would be no shortage of buyers, so maybe I should quit while I'm behind but if we are talking about Arnie and the like who asked about things 20 years ago, there's no guarantees. Just taking Arnie as an example I can't see him buying one while in office; hard to explain that one to the voters. Others may or may not have their own issues at play.

All I know is that its fun to see these sales come down even though you can't help but wish at least a little that they were staying in a family or other museum

huh. hence your knowing him well. Interesting. wonder how many more frazettas he might buy (if this is indeed his purchase). $1.5m a pop adds up, even for rock stars. you can be in a very famous band with #1 singles and nonstop airplay and the whole nine yards and not make that much in a year depending on your deal and which rights you do and don't own. Obviously kirk's been big time for a long time and probably has good income rights but even so that's a lot of jack for just about anybody.

You'd be pretty amazed at how much you make in just royalties alone from back catalog when you're in one of those very top echelon musical acts (which of course Metallica is).

Then throw in income from new record sales (which is cyclical) and touring (which is a goldmine for a lot of older acts).