Where are the Mad Magazine collectors?
9 9

480 posts in this topic

Josh Rachlis   
  • Member
  • 1 post

I was born in 1972. I had about 200 MAD Magazines from the 70s and 80s until about 8 years ago. I decided to declutter my condo, and I walked the magazines over to BMV in Toronto (Books Magazines Videos). It's a store that buys used books, magazines and videos. Hence their name. Anyway, the guy flipped through them and gave me about 50 cents each. And that was it. It didn't occur to me that I could categorize them and save them like my comic books. Now I'm regretting the sale. Did I give away a fortune? (Feel free to subscribe to youtube.com/joshrachlis and follow facebook.com/joshrachlis)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Randall Dowling   
  • Member
  • 569 posts
  • Location: The Four Headquarters
18 hours ago, Josh Rachlis said:

I was born in 1972. I had about 200 MAD Magazines from the 70s and 80s until about 8 years ago. I decided to declutter my condo, and I walked the magazines over to BMV in Toronto (Books Magazines Videos). It's a store that buys used books, magazines and videos. Hence their name. Anyway, the guy flipped through them and gave me about 50 cents each. And that was it. It didn't occur to me that I could categorize them and save them like my comic books. Now I'm regretting the sale. Did I give away a fortune? (Feel free to subscribe to youtube.com/joshrachlis and follow facebook.com/joshrachlis)

Depending on condition, that was probably a fair price to pay for them.  If you got $100 for a box of Mads from that time period, I think you did pretty well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Robot Man   
  • Member: Seasoned Veteran
  • 11,209 posts
  • Location: My junk pile

I agree. Sadly, they don't bring much money. They are fairly common (even the early issues). The people that remember them just don't care that much any more. Frankly, I don't even know how they are still publishing them any more. (And I am a big MAD fan).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Doohickamabob   
  • Member: Seasoned Veteran
  • 11,138 posts
On 5/24/2017 at 10:31 AM, Josh Rachlis said:

I was born in 1972. I had about 200 MAD Magazines from the 70s and 80s until about 8 years ago. I decided to declutter my condo, and I walked the magazines over to BMV in Toronto (Books Magazines Videos). It's a store that buys used books, magazines and videos. Hence their name. Anyway, the guy flipped through them and gave me about 50 cents each. And that was it. It didn't occur to me that I could categorize them and save them like my comic books. Now I'm regretting the sale. Did I give away a fortune?

Naw, you didn't give away a fortune. But if you put the time in, you might have been able to get $2 to $5 for each issue, depending on condition. You saved yourself a lot of time by just selling them all in one lot. Maybe you could have made a little more on eBay. The good news is, you can easily get any issue back that you want, for a few bucks.

The thing with Mads from the 1970s and 1980s is that this was their highest circulation period. Actually I think it peaked around the early 1970s. I saw a chart somewhere once, that shows how Mad's circulation rose and fell with the baby boomer generation. In the late 1960s and early 1970s, Mad's circulation was in the range of 2 million copies. I think by the 1980s it had dropped to 1 million, which is still nothing to sneeze at.

So even if 199 out of every 200 readers in the 1970s trashed or thrashed their copies, there would still be 5,000 to 10,000 issues out there somewhere. Not rare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phantalien   
  • Member
  • 592 posts
On 5/26/2017 at 1:25 AM, Doohickamabob said:

Naw, you didn't give away a fortune. But if you put the time in, you might have been able to get $2 to $5 for each issue, depending on condition. You saved yourself a lot of time by just selling them all in one lot. Maybe you could have made a little more on eBay. The good news is, you can easily get any issue back that you want, for a few bucks.

The thing with Mads from the 1970s and 1980s is that this was their highest circulation period. Actually I think it peaked around the early 1970s. I saw a chart somewhere once, that shows how Mad's circulation rose and fell with the baby boomer generation. In the late 1960s and early 1970s, Mad's circulation was in the range of 2 million copies. I think by the 1980s it had dropped to 1 million, which is still nothing to sneeze at.

So even if 199 out of every 200 readers in the 1970s trashed or thrashed their copies, there would still be 5,000 to 10,000 issues out there somewhere. Not rare.

I think you guys are responding to some guy's spam.  He joins a site just to create a story and ask you to subscribe to his youtube channel or facebook.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FoggyNelson   
  • Member
  • 192 posts

I remember the fierce competition between Mad and Cracked

Cracked always claimed that they knew they were #2 so they tried harder!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FoggyNelson   
  • Member
  • 192 posts

while you no longer see comics on the racks or spinner racks in stores anymore, you still see Mad,s which is nice !

i am not sure what the cover price is for a new Mad today?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FoggyNelson   
  • Member
  • 192 posts
On 5/24/2017 at 1:31 PM, Josh Rachlis said:

I was born in 1972. I had about 200 MAD Magazines from the 70s and 80s until about 8 years ago. I decided to declutter my condo, and I walked the magazines over to BMV in Toronto (Books Magazines Videos). It's a store that buys used books, magazines and videos. Hence their name. Anyway, the guy flipped through them and gave me about 50 cents each. And that was it. It didn't occur to me that I could categorize them and save them like my comic books. Now I'm regretting the sale. Did I give away a fortune? (Feel free to subscribe to youtube.com/joshrachlis and follow facebook.com/joshrachlis)

Yes you did very well to get 50 cents an issue for those Mad you could probably buy them back cheaper than that today

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Robot Man   
  • Member: Seasoned Veteran
  • 11,209 posts
  • Location: My junk pile
14 hours ago, FoggyNelson said:

while you no longer see comics on the racks or spinner racks in stores anymore, you still see Mad,s which is nice !

i am not sure what the cover price is for a new Mad today?

$5.99 "cheap"...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Doohickamabob   
  • Member: Seasoned Veteran
  • 11,138 posts

I've been organizing some stuff, including putting magazines in better-quality slipcovers and backings. I had a lot of my magazines in the cheaper poly-sleeves with the cheaper backings, but I decided I'd better play the long game and get them the best archival material I could. So I got a bunch of acid-buffer backings, and thick mylar sleeves, and I'm putting several sheets of microchamber paper in the magazines. Especially if they're extra-valuable, or if they seem musty/smelly/acidy.

Anyway, while organizing, I snapped some photos. Nothing new here, but the photos are new. Here are my issues of Mad #24. I hoarded four of 'em.

 

mad24-three.jpg

mad24-graded.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tri-ColorBrian   
  • Member
  • 3,658 posts
  • Location: The Wild West...maybe Arizona...

I didn't even know we had a Mad thread... lol  I've collected Mad's since 1963 (issue #79), but I don't have many issues after #300...here's my "Border" issues...because I think they are cool...

21079372529_9777faac13_c.jpg

21266275735_f7c9243bbd_c.jpg

20645131133_44639f40fc_c.jpg

21078197630_f85a5be393_c.jpg

21333495832_2f21647dfa_c.jpg

21274363281_a6f06bbf00_c.jpg

16609003455_e3eae3a488_c.jpg

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phantalien   
  • Member
  • 592 posts

Those borders really made the magazines stick out.  The art was great and there were so many little things hidden in it.  Plus I am pretty sure that the art in the border changed somewhere around issue 26 or 27.  I do wonder who did the artwork for the border, I always just guessed it was Will Elder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FoggyNelson   
  • Member
  • 192 posts
On 10/14/2017 at 5:05 AM, Phantalien said:

Those borders really made the magazines stick out.  The art was great and there were so many little things hidden in it.  Plus I am pretty sure that the art in the border changed somewhere around issue 26 or 27.  I do wonder who did the artwork for the border, I always just guessed it was Will Elder.

Agree👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
9 9

  • Welcome! Sign up and jump in!

    Membership and use of the boards is FREE! The knowledge available on these boards about comic collecting is an amazing resource for less experienced collectors, and a great place to talk about expert topics with others who can appreciate it for the more experienced collectors. We hope that you find what you came looking for here, but more than that, we hope you find your new comic collecting home.

    After you sign up, introduce yourself! We'd love to know more about your collecting.

  • Upcoming Events

    • 22 October 2017 02:00 PM Until 08:00 PM
      0  
      On October 22nd join us from 10-4 at the Hasbrouck Heights Holiday Inn, 283 Rt 17 South (directly on the highway).for the ONLY comicon in Bergen County, NJ! Access from Rts 3, 46, 80, the GSP and the NJ Tpk is quick and easy!
       
      Admission is only $3, or buy 5 show passes that can be used at either of our hotel shows for only $10 (Admission is still free for kids under 12 and non-collecting partners). Parking is on site, easy and free.
       
      We'll have tons of comics as always! Your favorite dealers will be there, including some that ONLY do this show…  And our good friend Bob Fox returns!
       
      Our notorious no minimum bid auction is at noon.  Bob Fox pulled a complete but crispy Hulk 181 from the rubble of the home he lost to the fire... it will be featured in the auction.
       
      More info is on our website at http://www.njcomicbookshows.com
       
      “Like us” on Facebook at NJ Comic Book Shows
       
      NJ’s ONLY monthly comicons since 1991!
       
      Seeya at the show!
      JP
      Other upcoming shows:
      Clifton 11/12
      Old Bridge 11/26
      Clifton 12/10
      Wayne 12/17
    • 29 October 2017 06:00 PM Until 30 October 2017 12:00 AM
      2  
      12th Vancouver Comic and Toy Show. 2 sold out halls with over 11,500 square feet of vintage and new comics, pop culture, toys, Star Wars, cosplay, and $1 blow out comics. Croatian Cultural Center at 3250 Commercial Drive, Vancouver, BC. $8 general admission, kids under 13 free admission. Free parking or walk from Broadway skytrain station. Top door prizes will be two (2) $100 comics/toy gift cards. Local comic guests to be announced. More info and updates at Vancouver Comic Show & pics .