• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are the Mad Magazine collectors?
10 10

1,272 posts in this topic

Some pickups over the last two weekends this group would like. First from WonderCon a great set of early sixties Mads from a 5 for $20. table. Great era for this magazine with Don Martin and Prohias just getting started. Early work by David Berg looks less polished than what it would become. 

The weekend before this great copy of HELP! jumped into my lap. Also filled with great art and some great photo jokes that remind me of where the Lampoon got some of their ideas.

tn_Mads.jpg

tn_MadSpecial.jpg

tn_Help.jpg

On 3/11/2018 at 8:25 AM, Phantalien said:

I wish I knew what it was like to go to the local drugstore to pick up a Mad comic.   After the first 10 issues the covers started to change so dramatically, you never knew what you were going to get.

You can still get back issues CHEAP?‼️

On 3/11/2018 at 8:25 AM, Phantalien said:

I wish I knew what it was like to go to the local drugstore to pick up a Mad comic.   After the first 10 issues the covers started to change so dramatically, you never knew what you were going to get.

Yes it was always exciting to see the new issue of mad at the grocery store, that always had cool covers‼️‼️??

23 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Well it appears that MAD goes out with a whimper at issue #550. What a run and lots of great memories. Reboot at issue #1. Has it's time come and gone? Thoughts?

It’s kind of sad but Mad has had a great run ‼️❤️ Over 65 years? I am surprised it has lasted this long?

7 hours ago, FoggyNelson said:

The 550 issue complete run spread out over 60 years would still be a fun one to put together 

and compared to comic it would be CHEAP ?

I bought issue #72 off the stands. I have either bought off the stands or subscription the past 5 or 6 years or so all the rest. As a teenager before internet, I put together #1-71 by trading or buying from friends, used book stores, garage sales and flea markets. My favorite ones are probably #32-70. Great Kelly Freas covers. It's been a great ride...

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 3:54 PM, FoggyNelson said:

last issue of MAD number 550 out now I think

and then a reboot‼️‼️

Reboot ??  Last issue ?  I never would have known if not for this place.  My most recent issue is like 189 or something 

I lost interest in the 80's.  Don Martin working for CRACKED magazine ? !!!  Are you kidding !!  

That was the end.  

MAD in the late 50's to the late 70's was amazing.  

On 4/6/2018 at 9:18 AM, Lucky Baru said:

Someone should do a documentary on Mad while some of the artists are still here.  I think it would be entertaining to get a glimpse behind the curtain at the madness of MAD.

I agree that a documentary should be made, but it should have been done about 10-20 years ago.   There are a lot fewer around than you think especially of the artists from the hey day of the 60's or 70's.

16 hours ago, Phantalien said:

I agree that a documentary should be made, but it should have been done about 10-20 years ago.   There are a lot fewer around than you think especially of the artists from the hey day of the 60's or 70's.

I watched the documentary on National Lampoon.  I thought it was very professionally done.  I wish that Douglas Tirola would take an interest in MAD and do a similar film about it.

Edited by Lucky Baru

On 4/7/2018 at 9:06 PM, Phantalien said:

Shame they didn’t do more while more people were alive??

On 4/8/2018 at 1:05 PM, Lucky Baru said:

I watched the documentary on National Lampoon.  I thought it was very professionally done.  I wish that Douglas Tirola would take an interest in MAD and do a similar film about it.

Yes!   It was really well done.   I heard about them but never got into NAtional Lampoon cause I could never find the magazines laying around like the Mads.   Then I saw all the nudity from the documentary and realized that it would be hard for a 13 year old to get them.  There was also a movie made about the guy who started lampoon.   

On 4/9/2018 at 5:44 PM, FoggyNelson said:

Shame they didn’t do more while more people were alive??

I remember when I was finally able to get a copy of Collectibly Mad and they had that section of articles about Mad or work by MAd artists; I am surprised Grant Geissman (sp?) never tried to do something even if it would have been another book back in the day.

9 hours ago, Phantalien said:

Yes!   It was really well done.   I heard about them but never got into NAtional Lampoon cause I could never find the magazines laying around like the Mads.   Then I saw all the nudity from the documentary and realized that it would be hard for a 13 year old to get them.  There was also a movie made about the guy who started lampoon.   

As an 11year old who bought NL off the rack starting in 1972 and then had subscriptions from 1978-1984 or so...it was never hard to obtain a copy. Clerks could have cared less as long as you ponied up your 75 cents plus tax per issue and more for the specials....