• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are the Mad Magazine collectors?
10 10

1,272 posts in this topic

I still have a couple of little mid-'70s Collectors Book Store catalogs.

Here's a heads-up for Mad fans:  I found one of the "Mad 5-Pack Bundle" bagged sets at an Ollie's Bargain Outlet store, priced at $5.99.  Mags from circa 2014.  (These sets pop up on ebay, but not so low-priced.) 

On 6/4/2020 at 4:03 AM, ThothAmon said:

After seeing the nice 28s I was curious to see how nice my 28 was  Not very, as apparently that’s one I’ve missed over the years. The wantlist gets longer. 

971ABE1B-C7BE-4F5A-8304-7C621AB2F5D8.jpeg

#30 always seems to be an issue missing when I have bought collections. I know it is one of the most popular issues as far as sales go. I can’t find them and I can’t keep them...

30 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

#30 always seems to be an issue missing when I have bought collections. I know it is one of the most popular issues as far as sales go. I can’t find them and I can’t keep them...

First Alfred E. cover.  Im guessing I might have another copy or two hiding out somewhere.  I think have a pulp(?) somewhere from the 20's that has his spitting image in it (maybe with the same name if I recall correctly).  Hardly a day goes by that I don't see a young person that makes me think of him.

#30 is the first full cover appearance of him as we now know him. He also had a small appearance on issue #21. His first MAD appearance was on the MAD Reader paperback. 

He has, of course, been around since the turn of the century and used for advertising, politics, bars and restraunts. Never mentioned by name (MAD named and copyrighted his name. 

The slogan “Me Worry?” Has been around just as long. MAD added the “What” and the rest is history...

On 6/3/2020 at 7:47 PM, Robot Man said:

Yes, I liked cracked too but other than the first maybe 25 and then just spotty issues, I stopped. Cracked in general are a lot harder to find. They didn't sell as well and fewer were printed. I really have never met anyone who specificaly collected them.

Hmm:idea: maybe I will be the first one to go for a complete run of 1 thru 100 , I bet there is some hard to find issues😷😷

5 hours ago, bounty_coder said:

Have any of y'all ever noticed how; this thing in the Mad Logo is being pulled by a rope connected to another thing's boobs between the A->D? :insane:

Also...what are these "things?"  Are they People?  Ghosts? Things? (shrug)

369696687_ScreenShot2020-06-07at10_16_30AM.png.028ec2b0bcb382b6d917296d535531a2.png

Oh yeah I noticed even as a young kid. Never thought about who or what they were. Now, I just figure they were out of Kurtzman’s crazy mind...

Before I had my major health problem, I got caught up in the ending of MAD magazine from some other thread I cannot find anymore. Anyway-- it was a pretty good deal and only cost me 5.99 using a groupon deal someone shared. I realized that my subscription might kick into renewal so I chased down the website and cancelled it before getting charged full fare. In case you also tried getting in on this deal-- you might want to do the same. A buck and issue is a deal.

One of the thing I came back to were my issues of MAD. Untouched for the most part-- still sadly-- but I have issues 9 through 14. My sub has run it's course and apparently the magazine is not coming to an end. Oh well-- thought I was jumping on something interesting-- and maybe I did. I still need to go through them once my mind is not so easily distracted.

Anyway-- the last two covers after @Robot Man are....

dc-comics-mad-magazine-vol-2-issue-13.jpg

dc-comics-mad-magazine-vol-2-issue-14.jpg

Edited by 01TheDude

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I never got the 14 in the mail. So I guess my last one was 13...:sorry:

Kind of odd. I have never seen 14 on the newsstand either. Maybe done to fulfill subscriptions only? 

Now you have to get it from somewhere😷😷

7 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I never got the 14 in the mail. So I guess my last one was 13...:sorry:

Kind of odd. I have never seen 14 on the newsstand either. Maybe done to fulfill subscriptions only? 

Pretty sure, starting with #10, they were subscription/ comic shop/ digital only.