• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Reprint" vs. "2nd, 3rd, 4th printings"

12 posts in this topic

So, there has been some confusion over the years about what "reprint" means and what "later printing" means. Since, strictly speaking, all later printings ARE reprints, there seems to be some need to differentiate later printings one from the other...this is especially true when discussing the plethora of "later printing variants" which would not be adequately described under the "reprint" banner.

I've put this thread here, even though it spans all ages (most particularly Bronze-Modern) because Copper seems to be the place where it needs to be defined the most.

Here's what I think: a book reprinted immediately after the original, based on demand for that book and in which the specific printing number is identified, can and should be considered, as much as possible, as a "2nd, 3rd, 4th, 11th, etc printing", to distinguish it as a later printing based on demand.

A book reprinted, however, much later than the original, and not self-identified as a "second printing" or somesuch, should be properly considered a "reprint."

Thus, a book like GI Joe #2, second printing, should be called "second printing" because it self-identifies as such, even though it's technically a "reprint" based on a marketing decision, and printed several years (in this case, four) after the fact.

A book like the Safeguard Action #1 reprint would be identified as a "reprint", since it doesn't self-identify as a specific printing, and since Action #1 had already BEEN reprinted at least once.

There are several of the multi-pack DC books from the late 80's that DO NOT identify which printing they are, but are clearly reprints. Since we do not know which printing they are, the only way to refer to these would be as "reprints."

I realize that both these definitions have a bit of "slop" to them, and books like Killing Joke, which had an 11th printing printed in 1998 or later, 10 years after the original, properly fits in the "reprint" category, but an exception is made because of the continuous self-identifying numbering and the standard format with which these were made. As well, the Star Wars "reprints" WERE made because of immediate demand, but they aren't identified by printing number in any way. Were there only two print runs? Three? Four? Nobody knows.

Thoughts?

I think I read "somewhere" :whistle: that all of that stuff would be considered "variants"

:whee:

Seriously though, what amazes me about the whole multi-printing thing is that they used to be considered trash. No one wanted a lowly "reprint" of an awful "2nd printing" *gasp*

Now, I see people actually seeking these books out as variants. Could we see a time where a 2nd (or 3rd or 4th, or 86th) print of a comic is actually worth more than the original print because of supply/demand?

I think I read "somewhere" :whistle: that all of that stuff would be considered "variants"

:whee:

Seriously though, what amazes me about the whole multi-printing thing is that they used to be considered trash. No one wanted a lowly "reprint" of an awful "2nd printing" *gasp*Now, I see people actually seeking these books out as variants. Could we see a time where a 2nd (or 3rd or 4th, or 86th) print of a comic is actually worth more than the original print because of supply/demand?

I started to realize this when 3rd and 4th printings of The Killing Joke sold for more money on Amazon/Ebay then the first printing.

I have become obsessed with non-enhanced and later printings of Copper/Modern books. Especially the 377s that Juggernaut posted. I think I need help. But I have more fun chasing those down than I ever did with UHG slabbed Marvel 1st apps so go figure.

I don't think it is possible to make rules differentiating Reprints and 2nd printings, etc., because the folks at the comic companies have always had an imperfect understanding of the issue and have repeatedly mixed reprints with second prints.

You should make a mast list of all the books with reprints/extra prints and we can argue about each one individually. That would be fun.

Could we see a time where a 2nd (or 3rd or 4th, or 86th) print of a comic is actually worth more than the original print because of supply/demand?

Didn't Batman #612 2nd print (sketch cover) make this happen? hm

I have become obsessed with non-enhanced and later printings of Copper/Modern books. Especially the 377s that Juggernaut posted. I think I need help. But I have more fun chasing those down than I ever did with UHG slabbed Marvel 1st apps so go figure.

:cloud9:

It's fun because it's a DOABLE challenge. Sure, it's tough...but, unless you're shopping with Armbo comics, you're not going to have to pay 35 FREAKIN' DOLLARS for a Batman #492 3rd printing.

;)

I don't think it is possible to make rules differentiating Reprints and 2nd printings, etc., because the folks at the comic companies have always had an imperfect understanding of the issue and have repeatedly mixed reprints with second prints.

Fair point.

You should make a mast list of all the books with reprints/extra prints and we can argue about each one individually. That would be fun.

hm

Something worth thinking about.

(thumbs u

A lot of this depends on if they changed the cover of the comic, or part of the cover. That to me is a cover variant. When they only identified the reprint as a small notation on the bottom of page one, than that kind of takes the fun out of it.

Yes I have been chasing Superman Man of Steel #18 5th printing for some time. :whistle:

A lot of this depends on if they changed the cover of the comic, or part of the cover. That to me is a cover variant. When they only identified the reprint as a small notation on the bottom of page one, than that kind of takes the fun out of it.

Interesting definition. hm I've never thought of an actual definition to separate a later printing from a variant before.

How would you classify TMNT #1 3rd print? The cover is mostly the same save for a few differences. For example, check out the 2nd T in "Turtles"

1st:

TMNT194.jpg

3rd:

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles013rdPrint.jpg

The changes are so small that most people don't even know they're there. Is this a straight third printing or a third printing variant?