• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official Modern Batman Thread

842 posts in this topic

You said it! I've always felt tim is hardcore but now he is really showing it! He would make a much more bruce styled batman than d ck does indeed because he can really put the fear vibe out :D

Red Robin #12 was just EPIC! total Tim Drake Badassness. Even though he got crippled by Ras Al Guhl, he showed how formidable he is as a hero. Hes mentally a lot like Bruce BUT Di ck beat Ras in a fight which Tim still cant in Nightwing #152 :)

I believe Di ck can beat bruce in a fight one on one at the moment. Bruce is a little over his peak. Di ck has always been a gifted fighter and leader. Tim was a gifted detective and smarts. Jason was always a gifted pain in the @$$.

theyve danced around that relationship for the longest time. There even was a JLA issue where they kissed and went on a date but i think DC swept that under the rug. They cant let 2 of their icons be in a relationship with one another. Plus Bruce is on and off with Catwomen. I personally hope Bruce hooks up with Zatanna ;)

:sumo: Hiyo!

rantrant ... with all that has been said by you, I was not even gonna comment, but seems I cannot let this go on!

(worship) ... ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY LOVE FOR GRANT MORRISON!

Part 1...

Batman books have been my favorite no matter what the Comic-period Age, though sadly due to lost of job... I have not been so lucky to keep up with the books.

Really... what is your problem with Grant Morrison? Do not like that that he challenges you knowledge or ideas of Batman or the man behind the mask; Bruce Wayne!?

R.I.P. was awesome, Final Crisis was stupendous, and Batman & Robin was the cream of the crop... Morrison has been nothing but overwhelmingly-solid on the Batman-title!

Damian though, in my opinion, bothers me, because of issue where he nearly kills Tim Drake/Wayne twice... actually I really dislike the fact that they have Tim not gaining any type of upper-hand on D. Grayson, Damian, or even Jason Todd, but I am getting off subject. I digress. I like Damian and yet, dislike him for personal reasons relating to Tim... though I love that Morrison is handling Damian, so I approve.

I hate this multiple Batmen idea, it's just another Morrison idea that's putting the screw on the title. I mean isn't Batman supposed to be a 'creature of myth' so to speak? I know he's been around for a fair few years, but his main aim is still supposed to strike fear into criminals solely through his appearance/'mythical' status. With two of them running around simultaneously isn't that fear factor going to get watered down?

Also, isn't Bruce hell bent on cleaning up Gotham? Why the hell would he up and leave to solve international problems and leave Dick in Gotham?

The other thing that bugs me is the new suit. Fair enough, the Batsuit's been relatively unchanged for the best part of 20 years, but when Bruce returned from his broken back he made the suit as dark as could possibly be to match his mindset. He was at his darkest and cut everybody out, fast forward 20 years and he's been blindsided by Jezebel Jet, 'killed' by his 'father', and had to battle back through 100s of years to get back home, so why would he go back to the 60s yellow logo?

I just think Morrison should leave well alone now.

Plus it would be great to see a Nightwing title back out, although it will never match the Dixon/McDaniel work from the 90s. Man that was some good stuff.

:sumo: Hiyo!

(worship) ... ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY LOVE FOR GRANT MORRISON!

Part 2...

Again... you find another reason to try and smash on Morrison? Look back at his run... remember the group of heroes founded by Batman that handles affairs outside of Gotham that Bruce had forgotten over the years; Club of Heroes. This is not new, plus... a lot of instances with the Justice League takes place outside of Gotham, what makes this vacation from Gotham to handle outside affairs so bad?

Have we not forgotten the stories of Bruce Wayne travels outside of Gotham, or training to become/better himself as Batman outside Gotham... this is something long established, it not just something Morrison thought off the stop of his head.

Bruce cleaning up Gotham? How many issues we up to and Joker is still alive? Shoot, even another Anarky came out the woodwork! Plus all the gangs and mafia families still around? :eyeroll:

Lets not get overblown on this creature of the night or of myth... otherwise, Commissioner Gordon should have long checked himself into Arkham when he first stepped on the roof to flip the Bat-signal.

New suit? What about the old suit that Tim brought out in the finale of Battle for the Cowl? Batman is a pack-rat... notice the Penny-statue still there? Also, Jezebel Jet did not blind-sided him, nor did the wannabe-his-father-but-actually-crazy-actor kill Bruce nor even Batman of the Zur-En-Arrh!, and the other things said; I cannot comment on... maybe Batman is just getting back to his roots and just wants to see if the old cowl that made him Batman, still fits. So hard to believe Bruce has mid-life crisis?

He already had a Final Crisis. :jokealert:

Grant Morrison is handling it and I know Batman, with all his mythos, is in genius-level great hands!

R.I.P. was awesome, Final Crisis was stupendous, and Batman & Robin was the cream of the crop... Morrison has been nothing but overwhelmingly-solid on the Batman-title!

PREACH IT BROTHER! :headbang:

I absolutely agree with everything you have said. I too LOVE what grant morrison is doing with the Batman storyline. I cant wait to finish reading what Grant has in store in his final issues of batman and robin before he leaves so it finally chronicles the black hand storyline. I truly believe that if whatever her reveals pays off in the return of Bruce wayne with the black hand with D grayson, I believe this whole story will go down as one of THE ALL TIME BEST and POLARIZING stories ever!

Damian though, in my opinion, bothers me, because of issue where he nearly kills Tim Drake/Wayne twice... actually I really dislike the fact that they have Tim not gaining any type of upper-hand on D. Grayson, Damian, or even Jason Todd, but I am getting off subject. I digress. I like Damian and yet, dislike him for personal reasons relating to Tim... though I love that Morrison is handling Damian, so I approve.

I disagree on your statement that Tim hasnt gained any upperhand on Di ck. During the Ressurection of Ras ah guhl storyline, Nightwing himself admitted that hes not the detective that Tim is. To be honest thats the ONLY thing Tim can get the upperhand on Di ck cause Di ck was born the natural leader and superb athlete. Tim beats di ck on brains. Theres no way Tim can beat Di ck in a fight. I doubt he ever will.

Tim has only fought Jason twice and jason mopped the floor with tim each time. Tims got a long way to be a better fighter. In a long dragout fight Tim will outsmart everyone.

I see where your going with Damien, but at the time where Damien almost killed Tim twice, he was still under the influence of the League of assassins. He was a natural born killer. Of course he would want to kill Tim. But he has transformed and thats what Grant wants us to see. Damiens journey from killer to true hero :cloud9:

Oh its been brought up before in other forums that when bruce comes back Dbatman will stop being batman... I have suggested how ever that they can have two batmans ... This way bruce can have more of a life for him self and also remain as batman!

Between them both they are smart enough to figure it out & even not be seen at the same time or go out at the same time :) TWO batmans ... One D batman one B batman :D

I see no reason why a good writer could not make it work! <-- Just thought I'd throw that in out of no where lol

with all that has been said by you, I was not even gonna comment, but seems I cannot let this go on!

Stop taking things so ing personally. You like Morrison, good for you, there's plenty of his drek out there for you to read and I will slaute you for liking what you like.

I don't like it, yet you have to keep hammering on about it. A case of you're right and I'm wrong?

Great thread! These last pages have been great to read, and I wanted to chime in.

I started reading Batman regularly right around the time of the "Return of the Red Hood" arc, did some back-issue hunting, so my personal Batman run begins around Hush, and continues through to now.

I dropped Detective Comics when I learned that the title character of the book was switching to

I have to say that overall, I've really been enjoying Batman since I started buying the books. I did want to drop all things related Batman at #700, but I changed my mind and decided to stay on board until Bruce Wayne returns. After that I'll probably consolidate a few titles and drop some more books (I'm always trying to streamline what I buy in the interest of saving money).

The Return of Bruce Wayne has been a little hard to fully understand, but I really do appreciate everything Morrison is doing for the Bat mythos. I think it will be hard to see until Bruce Wayne actually returns. I think Morrison is creating a whole new mythology for Batman that can be tapped for new stories over the next couple decades. By the end of the Return of Bruce Wayne, one thing for sure is that we will have had aspects of the Batman having existed in the DC Universe since the beginning of time, making the character of The Batman seeped in mythology - there's alot of story potential there.

How do I feel about the new Bat costume? It's the Heroic Age Batman costume! If they're going to have two Batman, then there needs to be a way to differentiate them to the casual reader, so whatever. I'm really looking forward to the David Finch Batman series. I'll probably end up just getting that Bat book and maybe one other Grayson-Batman book for a while, just to see how things start to roll after Bruce returns. With everything I've seen since the return of Steve Rogers and having a Bucky-Cap, I do see a few parallels with what DC is doing, and I do look forward to seeing how things play out. I'm sure that for all the people who wanted Bucky to stay as Cap, there were just as many people who wanted to see Nightwing stay as Batman. That being said, we all know there is only one true Batman, so it should be interesting to see down the road what makes Grayson lose/give up the cowl. Could he even be a Batman indefinitely? Maybe it could be a Batman and Robin and a Batman and Red Robin?

I too have really been enjoying the Batman & Robin series - it's too bad about all the delays its been suffering from though. I'll be picking it up until the series ends. At that time I'll be deciding what Bat books to pick up moving forward.

What do I think about Damian-Robin? The character of Robin is interesting. Most of the general public has no idea that there was ever more than one Robin to begin with, so you can imagine what it's like when I casually explain to people (from time to time) that there have been 3 Robins, one of which who has died, and that the 1st Robin is actually the New Batman, and that the old Batman "died" and is returning, meanwhile the current Robin is actually the old Batman's illegitimate son from the daughter of Ra's Al Ghul. I think somethings going to have to give with Damian eventually. I know alot of people like Red Robin, but really, Robin's place (regardless of who Robin is), is with Batman. I think with the return of Bruce Wayne, we should see another shift in Tim Drake's character hopefully back to Bruce Wayne. Then we'll have two pairs of Batman and Robin, each with very different dynamics. Then again you could argue that Damian may want to be at his father's side. There's so much potential for so many stories with everything that Grant Morrison as set up (despite it being almost impossible to follow and understand at times).

So, even though I was going to drop the Bat books a couple months ago, these new developments have ensure that I'm probably going to be buying Bat books for at least another year.

Oh, and I do hope that someone does try to give Bruce Wayne a love-interest (regardless of who it is). There's a wonderful tension when Bruce Wayne enters a relationship. He's still a man, but being Batman demands so much from the man, that it would be hard for any woman to accept long term, or even for Bruce to willingly let himself enter into any sort of romantic relationship. But hey, it Steve Rogers can have Sharon Carter and Bucky can have the Black Widow, why can't Bruce Wayne or Di ck Grayson have anyone either?

Bruce is too complicated to have 1 true love. He tried many times but he puts his missions beyond his hearts desire. Grayson on the other hand is a TRUE LADIES MAN. But everyone knows he will always have Barbara.

I agree with you that Tim needs to be on Bruce's side once bruce returns. I hope its Di ck and Damien, and Bruce and Tim. I hope time follows bruce when he returns because that pairing was excellent. Tim and Di ck pairing would never work because Di ck respects too much of tim and sees tim as an equal so that mentor relationship will not work as well hence him picking Damien over tim has his robin.

Detective Comics is returning to Batman now with Snyder as the writer and hes been good. I think it will be centered around Di ck batman however which is still cool.

When it comes to having 2 batmen, Im cool with it BUT you guys remember in Batman #666, the future issue where Damien sees the death of a Batman and then takes over as the new batman? Im afraid Morrison is preparing us to see Grayson killed in front of Damien... :( i hope this isnt the case.

When it comes to having 2 batmen, Im cool with it BUT you guys remember in Batman #666, the future issue where Damien sees the death of a Batman and then takes over as the new batman? Im afraid Morrison is preparing us to see Grayson killed in front of Damien... :( i hope this isnt the case.

You mentioned this before Baoky and I didn't really get where you were coming from, now it's rattled the old grey matter. I personally hope that Didio hasn't given Morrison free reign to kill off a character who's immense in the Bat mythos. Dick's been one of the most intirguing 'supporting' characters for years, and his interaction with Damian has been extremely entertaining. In reality, I think Morrison just likes to bed his stories in the past and the future and I didn't read too much into Batman #666 other than another one of his mind trips.

As to two sets of Batman and Robins, I'd have to agree that if it were to happen I'd much prefer to see Damian stay with Dick, their characters have reallt developed over the last two years or so. There would be too much 'conflict of interest' in a Bruce/Damian pairing.

Personally though I'd prefer to see Bruce crack out on his own, Tim carry on doing his own thing and Dick carry on tutoring Damian.

Yea Gav you should read Bat 666 if you have the chance. Its after the Father and Son storyline.

I have read it but I just thought it had absolutely no bearing on any future Batman storyline (for as long as I'm alive anyway).

Well as long as Morrison is at the helm it could be true... You must admit though, even though your not a fan of Morrison's, him being the writer on the books help batman stay on top of the sales in DC. You cant say the same when it was Dini, Daniel, Winick, etc.

Oh I wouldn't argue that, it would stupid arguing facts. I just don't understand it. I've heard people say 'Oh I love Morrison's stuff' and then virtually in the next breath admit they have absolutely no idea what's been going on. I have a problem with Batman being written so cryptically, it really doesn't need to be. Batman and Robin isn't (or wasn't at least, I haven't bought it since issue #9), and I thought his stuff on that title was pretty good. Did you catch that Unrested Spectre?

As for the mention of Winnick, I hated his stuff on the Bat title. But the issues he wrote following the RIP mess were fantastic, especially the issue pencilled by Ed Benes.

Again... you find another reason to try and smash on Morrison? Look back at his run... remember the group of heroes founded by Batman that handles affairs outside of Gotham that Bruce had forgotten over the years; Club of Heroes. This is not new, plus... a lot of instances with the Justice League takes place outside of Gotham, what makes this vacation from Gotham to handle outside affairs so bad?

Believe it or not I do remember the Club of Heroes, and I've heard of the JLA too. The former I found a complete annoyance to read, the latter I've never bothered to read. And neither have anything to do with what made Batman and what he swore to do when he took up the mantle.

To take him away from the city he's sworn to protect is stupid.

So from what I can tell, this is how it's going to run.

Bruce Wayne is going to be Batman.

Dick Grayson is going to be Batman.

Bruce will have the yellow thing around his chest bat.

Dick will not.

Damian Wayne will be Robin.

Bruce is going to handle the worldwide franchising in Batman, Inc.

Dick is going to remain the Batman for Gotham City.

Dick 'Batman' Grayson will be featured in Scott Snyder and Jock's Detective Comics, Peter Tomasi and Patrick Gleason's Batman and Robin, and Tony Daniel's Batman.

Bruce 'Batman' Wayne will be featured in Grant Morrison and Yanick Paquette's Batman, Inc. and the David Finch written and drawn Batman: The Dark Knight.

Batman is my favorite character but since the death story its been hard to stomach. I find myself reading more of my back issues rather then buying the new ones. I will likely go back to buying them but I have not bought Tec or Batman in months.

I do read Batwoman and the new Batman and Robin series. I do enjoy both especially the B & R.