• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic store owner shoots robbery suspects..again

155 posts in this topic

Does this really need to be said? Your store is not your "castle" under these castle laws. The castle is your homestead.

Also,

IBTL.

That's why I stated my house! However, i'm not even sure if NY has a castle law.

I briefly saw the "father of some child" comment before it was retracted. Again, that's natural selection, and perhaps it was nipped before it could breed.

Does this really need to be said? Your store is not your "castle" under these castle laws. The castle is your homestead.

Also,

IBTL.

If he is there to shoot these people all the time maybe in this case his store is his caste (shrug)

I honestly believe there would be less crime in this country if there was a serious chance you could get blown away if you break in somewhere. I wont go political, but im just saying "you play rough, you better get tough."

I think the John Wayne quote was, "If you're going to be stupid, you better be tough."

I honestly believe there would be less crime in this country if there was a serious chance you could get blown away if you break in somewhere. I wont go political, but im just saying "you play rough, you better get tough."

I think the John Wayne quote was, "If you're going to be stupid, you better be tough."

You are correct, but I wasnt quoting the Duke. Play rough, get tough was a mantra my HS football coach lived by. Man I dont miss those wind sprints..

I think it's great, the owner was not harmed and he killed a thief, there was no possible better outcome (save the the thief not being there to begin with). I do feel sorry for the owner, it's no fun to have to shoot somebody in self defense, only bloodthirsty killers will enjoy killing somebody. I bet he won't sleep well for a long time, god bless him for standing up for himself and his property.

This whole thread will come dangerously close to politics, and what side of the fence your on.

We could all move to the UK, handguns are illegal there, so they have no more robberies. Hardy har har

I think it's great, the owner was not harmed and he killed a thief, there was no possible better outcome (save the the thief not being there to begin with). I do feel sorry for the owner, it's no fun to have to shoot somebody in self defense, only bloodthirsty killers will enjoy killing somebody. I bet he won't sleep well for a long time, god bless him for standing up for himself and his property.

This whole thread will come dangerously close to politics, and what side of the fence your on.

We could all move to the UK, handguns are illegal there, so they have no more robberies. Hardy har har

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. doh!

Oh and IBTL (thumbs u

Good for the store owner. Its a shame that someone was killed, but whos to say his life wasnt in danger? And 330 am I would assume his home is likely connected to his business.

I live in NJ. We cant protect ourselves, so I would likely have to use my hands. Fortunately my kids room is next to mine, so if you made it that far it shouldnt be a problem.

If he didn't have a security system, how did he know about the 3 AM break-in? Probably has an apartment over the store. As for guard dogs and cameras, why should he have to shell out more money because some maroons want to rob him? My main concern is the brain matter splattering on the innocent books/inventory. :eek: Now he's gotta pay for some bio-cleanup crew to take care of the mess.

Good for the store owner. Its a shame that someone was killed, but whos to say his life wasnt in danger? And 330 am I would assume his home is likely connected to his business.

I live in NJ. We cant protect ourselves, so I would likely have to use my hands. Fortunately my kids room is next to mine, so if you made it that far it shouldnt be a problem.

You can protect yourself, it just might be illegal. I sure wouldn't use that as and excuse not to protect yourself and your family.

I hate to take the easy way out but wouldn`t insurance have covered this? isn`t that better then him sleeping in his store all night and shooting and killing someones father,yes a bad judgement call by the robber as his daughter does not have a father now but really is taking someones father`s life neccessary when insurance would have covered it? Are a few baseball cards and comicbooks that have a value of a few hundred dollars worth someones fathers life?

Who do you think will now be paying thousands of dollars to now raise his daughter? It usually ends up the tax payers, ala welfare now.

I hate to take the easy way out but wouldn`t insurance have covered this? isn`t that better then him sleeping in his store all night and shooting and killing someones father,yes a bad judgement call by the robber as his daughter does not have a father now but really is taking someones father`s life neccessary when insurance would have covered it? Are a few baseball cards and comicbooks that have a value of a few hundred dollars worth someones fathers life?

Who do you think will now be paying thousands of dollars to now raise his daughter? It usually ends up the tax payers, ala welfare now.

The taxpayer's / other insurance holders usually end up paying for the insurance as well. I would rather have one more scumbag gone, than pay for his future life of crime. :shrug:

The taxpayer's / other insurance holders usually end up paying for the insurance as well. I would rather have one more scumbag gone, than pay for his future life of crime. :shrug:

The insurance of the few hundred dollar books would have been much cheaper in the long run then the hundreds of thousands of dollars now that will be paid in welfare benefits to the daugher till she is 18.That`s just the money angle we are talking about, You can`t put a price on all the psychological damage the daughter will have in the future.

You are missing the point. Insurance probably would pay for it. Then what? He just sits back and watches his premiums go up because of repeat break-ins? It's a "Line in the Sand" moment. I don't think he was open 24/7. I don't think they were there to trade some books.

You are missing the point. Insurance probably would pay for it. Then what? He just sits back and watches his premiums go up because of repeat break-ins? It's a "Line in the Sand" moment. I don't think he was open 24/7. I don't think they were there to trade some books.

This is the second time he killed a robber so I guess the "Line in the Sand moment" didn`t work as he was robbed again.

The point is if he had gotten insurance he wouldn`t have to sleep in his store all night and worry about his books getting stolen. He could sleep in his house knowing that his books were protected because the insurance would had covered them,I am sure in the long run that would have saved him money and more importantly a piece of mind.

Now he has to deal with killing some girls father.Yep he still got his hundred dollar comics and cards but at what cost? See if he had the insurance he wouldn`t have to be dealing with all this now.

This is the second time he killed a robber so I guess the "Line in the Sand moment" didn`t work as he was robbed again.

The point is if he had gotten insurance he wouldn`t have to sleep in his store all night and worry about his books getting stolen. He could sleep in his house knowing that his books were protected because the insurance would had covered them,I am sure in the long run that would have saved him money and more importantly a piece of mind.

Now he has to deal with killing some girls father.Yep he still got his hundred dollar comics and cards but at what cost? See if he had the insurance he wouldn`t have to be dealing with all this now.

What business owner doesn't have insurance? He's probably insured out the wazoo. Nowadays, he's gotta worry about some fanboy sueing him because they got a paper cut thumbing thru a book.

If he didn't have a security system, how did he know about the 3 AM break-in? Probably has an apartment over the store. As for guard dogs and cameras, why should he have to shell out more money because some maroons want to rob him? My main concern is the brain matter splattering on the innocent books/inventory. :eek: Now he's gotta pay for some bio-cleanup crew to take care of the mess.

I've been to his shop. Its just a small store on a side street that doesn't get much traffic. His home is no way connected to the shop. he did the same thing he did in 1993. His current shop had been broken into two months ago. The shop next door to his had their security cameras broken two weeks ago and two trucks were vandalized The shop owner decided to do the same thing he did last time and he and another employee began staying the night in the shop again to protect his property. I'm interested in what the police find during the investigation. The robber supposedly ran out of the building and died outside the store with a gunshot to the head. Property from the store was found on his person. The local paper had much more information then the article I posted. If anyone can find the front page story to last wednesdays Antelope Valley Press I would appreciate it.