• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic store owner shoots robbery suspects..again

155 posts in this topic

If he didn't have a security system, how did he know about the 3 AM break-in? Probably has an apartment over the store. As for guard dogs and cameras, why should he have to shell out more money because some maroons want to rob him? My main concern is the brain matter splattering on the innocent books/inventory. :eek: Now he's gotta pay for some bio-cleanup crew to take care of the mess.

I've been to his shop. Its just a small store on a side street that doesn't get much traffic. His home is no way connected to the shop. he did the same thing he did in 1993. His current shop had been broken into two months ago. The shop next door to his had their security cameras broken two weeks ago and two trucks were vandalized The shop owner decided to do the same thing he did last time and he and another employee began staying the night in the shop again to protect his property. I'm interested in what the police find during the investigation. The robber supposedly ran out of the building and died outside the store with a gunshot to the head. Property from the store was found on his person. The local paper had much more information then the article I posted. If anyone can find the front page story to last wednesdays Antelope Valley Press I would appreciate it.

It's obviously a case of mistaken identity. They were probably there to let him know the cameras were not working. doh!

If he didn't have a security system, how did he know about the 3 AM break-in? Probably has an apartment over the store. As for guard dogs and cameras, why should he have to shell out more money because some maroons want to rob him? My main concern is the brain matter splattering on the innocent books/inventory. :eek: Now he's gotta pay for some bio-cleanup crew to take care of the mess.

I've been to his shop. Its just a small store on a side street that doesn't get much traffic. His home is no way connected to the shop. he did the same thing he did in 1993. His current shop had been broken into two months ago. The shop next door to his had their security cameras broken two weeks ago and two trucks were vandalized The shop owner decided to do the same thing he did last time and he and another employee began staying the night in the shop again to protect his property. I'm interested in what the police find during the investigation. The robber supposedly ran out of the building and died outside the store with a gunshot to the head. Property from the store was found on his person. The local paper had much more information then the article I posted. If anyone can find the front page story to last wednesdays Antelope Valley Press I would appreciate it.

It's obviously a case of mistaken identity. They were probably there to let him know the cameras were not working. doh!

:tonofbricks:

I hate to take the easy way out but wouldn`t insurance have covered this? isn`t that better then him sleeping in his store all night and shooting and killing someones father,yes a bad judgement call by the robber as his daughter does not have a father now but really is taking someones father`s life neccessary when insurance would have covered it? Are a few baseball cards and comicbooks that have a value of a few hundred dollars worth someones fathers life?

Who do you think will now be paying thousands of dollars to now raise his daughter? It usually ends up the tax payers, ala welfare now.

You are missing the point. Insurance probably would pay for it. Then what? He just sits back and watches his premiums go up because of repeat break-ins? It's a "Line in the Sand" moment. I don't think he was open 24/7. I don't think they were there to trade some books.

So it's entirely justifiable to shoot somebody through the head to keep his premiums down?

Oooookay.

I hate to take the easy way out but wouldn`t insurance have covered this? isn`t that better then him sleeping in his store all night and shooting and killing someones father,yes a bad judgement call by the robber as his daughter does not have a father now but really is taking someones father`s life neccessary when insurance would have covered it? Are a few baseball cards and comicbooks that have a value of a few hundred dollars worth someones fathers life?

Who do you think will now be paying thousands of dollars to now raise his daughter? It usually ends up the tax payers, ala welfare now.

You are missing the point. Insurance probably would pay for it. Then what? He just sits back and watches his premiums go up because of repeat break-ins? It's a "Line in the Sand" moment. I don't think he was open 24/7. I don't think they were there to trade some books.

So it's entirely justifiable to shoot somebody through the head to keep his premiums down?

Oooookay.

It was 3:00 in the morning. He was probably just trying to hit him in the leg and the guy bent down to pick up the AF #15 he dropped. (shrug)

This a little lengthy but here was the law read pertaining to property.

Physical Force in Defense of Premises

A person who possesses or controls property or has a license or privilege to be in or on it is justified in using reasonable physical force when and to the extent he reasonably believes it to be necessary to stop another from trespassing or attempting to trespass in or upon it. The owner can use deadly physical force only (1) to defend a person as described above, (2) when he reasonably believes it is necessary to prevent the trespasser from attempting to commit arson or any violent crime, or (3) to the extent he reasonably believes it is necessary to stop someone from forcibly entering his home or workplace (and for the sole purpose of stopping the intruder) (CGS § 53a-20).

Physical Force in Defense of Property

A person is justified in using reasonable physical force when and to the extent he reasonably believes it necessary to (1) prevent attempted larceny or criminal mischief involving property or (2) regain property that he reasonably believes was stolen shortly before.

When defending property, deadly force may be used only when it is necessary to defend a person from the use or imminent use of deadly physical force or infliction or imminent infliction of great bodily harm as described above (CGS § 53a-21).

This happened not far from where I live. I can't seem to find the full story online other then this article.

Store owner fatally shoots burglary suspect in Lancaster

Daily News Wire Services

Posted: 09/02/2010 10:33:30 AM PDT

Updated: 09/02/2010 12:01:09 PM PDT

"A suspected burglar was fatally shot early Wednesday after a confrontation with a Lancaster store owner, officials said.

The suspected burglar, identified as Robert Summers, 28, of Lancaster, was mortally wounded about 3:30 a.m. by the unidentified owner of a store in the 200 block of East Avenue K-8, officials said. Another suspect with Summers managed to escape.

"The owner fired a handgun at the suspects, hitting one and possibly wounding the second," the Sheriff's Department said in a statement."

No mention was made in the above article that the name of the store is "Bases Cards and Comics"

But this isn't the first time the owner has done this. Here is a story from 2003.

http://www.thehighroad.us/archive/index.php/t-36673.html

In both incidents the robbers were shot in the head. I have mixed thoughts about this. On one hand I understand that he has a business to protect and if you are going to be dumb enough to break into a shop in the middle of the night there are expected risks and consequences to your actions, but then again if the owner is having problems with people breaking into his store why didn't the owner install security cameras or install an alarm system?

by the unidentified owner of a store in the 200 block of East Avenue K-8, officials said.
Yeah, no way to tell who he is. :whistle:

I just read through this thread, and I am dismayed by the level of ignorance on display.

What is wrong with some of you?

Applauding the death of a human being over some comic books?

A "scum bag" got what he deserved?

Do you all honestly believe that stealing merits the death penalty?

What if this lunatic set up his little ambush, and two teenagers broke in as a prank?

I suppose most of you would say:

"Hey, they used bad judgment--glad they were removed from the gene pool."

Unless the store owner felt his life was in danger--and it seems like this isn't even remotely true--he is a bigger threat to society than someone who steals comics.

There is something truly disgusting about a bunch of spoiled, comic collectors celebrating someone's death without even waiting for all the details.

I just read through this thread, and I am dismayed by the level of ignorance on display.

What if this lunatic set up his little ambush, and two teenagers broke in as a prank?

Unless the store owner felt his life was in danger--and it seems like this isn't even remotely true--he is a bigger threat to society than someone who steals comics.

There is something truly disgusting about a bunch of spoiled, comic collectors celebrating someone's death without even waiting for all the details.

Ignorant, spoiled comic collector! :cloud9:

Insurance is not the answer. If store owner had just allowed his store to be robbed again, and again, he would eventually reach a breaking point where he asks himself if he is going to make a stand, or close shop. How many times was his store robbed in middle of night when he was safe and sound asleep before he decided he needs to camp out all night and send a message that if you want to rob his store, you are risking your life.

I know a new batch of criminals will target him again in another 10 years and we may have same story, as we had in 2003, but for now, the crooks will target other stores.

I am of the mind that we need way harsher consequences for career criminals terrorizing hard working peoples livelyhood, and if we crack down to an absurd level of severity, as in this case, I would hope crime has to be reduced. For sure the dead will not be repeating their actions.

Burglar Fatally Shot by Card Shop Owner

In the 2003 case, turns out one of the thieves had a tire iron on him during the break-in.

(shrug)

Yeah the guy who broke in just seemed to know that the owner was going to be there and brought along the tire iron not as a tool to break into his shop but to kill everyone inside at 3:00 a.m. hmmm.... hm

it easy to judge sitting on the outside, nobody really knows how someone will react until they are in that situation. so everybody has a right to there opinion

WTTB! I dont know why people cant just have their own opinions without being called ignorant? Personally I think that we lost our way years ago. Any person can make any decision in life if they are hard for cash, this decision was a poor one. If the guy who owned the shop was killed then what? He should have had alarms? Any number of things could have happened in this scenario, this is just how it played out. I dont feel any remorse for any man who would steal from another man. There is ALWAYS another way, so dont come at me with some turn the other cheek nonsense. The man protected his property, IMO he was doing the right thing.

And if you could, let me know the percentage of criminals who leave the scene of a breaking and entering job and are later caught by the police? I would love to know how many cases end up with the criminal later being caught and the victims posessions returned.

it easy to judge sitting on the outside, nobody really knows how someone will react until they are in that situation. so everybody has a right to there opinion

- by the way burglary is a felony not a "prank"

Burglar Fatally Shot by Card Shop Owner

In the 2003 case, turns out one of the thieves had a tire iron on him during the break-in.

(shrug)

Yeah the guy who broke in just seemed to know that the owner was going to be there and brought along the tire iron not as a tool to break into his shop but to kill everyone inside at 3:00 a.m. hmmm.... hm

And the chances of the owner NOT being hit by the tire iron if he had tried to stop him by hand?

Am I celebrating? No!

Do I think the store owner had a right to defend himself during a break-in? Yes!

What details do I need to hear about two burglars breaking into a store at 3 AM (+) in the morning? That it was a complete accident, and they meant to show up at a church for super-early morning mass and took a wrong turn?

Not saying it is right to shoot another human being. But hold those high moral values up to shield yourself the next time someone breaks into your home and you are wondering in the dark whether or not someone is going to shoot you, club you to death, or hug you because it is Aunt Petunia showing up early to surprise you for the bake sale you guys are going to hold to raise money for wrongfully accused prisoners that were caught with stolen property in their pockets.

Crap shoot which will occur at 3 AM, in the dark, alone by yourself, when you discover more than one person invading your property.