• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic store owner shoots robbery suspects..again

155 posts in this topic

Nerd alert, episode of Star Trek Next Generation, some planet had zero crime, because they had zero tolerance. Any minor robbery or whatever would resuIt in termination. I recall thinking, wouldnt that be great, law abiding people would have paradise, criminals would merely have numbered days.

WTTB! I dont know why people cant just have their own opinions without being called ignorant? Personally I think that we lost our way years ago. Any person can make any decision in life if they are hard for cash, this decision was a poor one. If the guy who owned the shop was killed then what? He should have had alarms? Any number of things could have happened in this scenario, this is just how it played out. I dont feel any remorse for any man who would steal from another man. There is ALWAYS another way, so dont come at me with some turn the other cheek nonsense. The man protected his property, IMO he was doing the right thing.

And if you could, let me know the percentage of criminals who leave the scene of a breaking and entering job and are later caught by the police? I would love to know how many cases end up with the criminal later being caught and the victims posessions returned.

Pat, possessions come and go.

Lives don't.

The issue isn't that the owner wasn't entitled to 'defend' his property. My problem will always be with using a level of force commensurate with the 'crime' and level of danger.

Oh, and there will be many here that were nothing like angels when they were young and yet grew up into responsible members of society. Just because you're an arse when you're young doesn't mean you need to be wiped from the gene pool.

WTTB! I dont know why people cant just have their own opinions without being called ignorant? Personally I think that we lost our way years ago. Any person can make any decision in life if they are hard for cash, this decision was a poor one. If the guy who owned the shop was killed then what? He should have had alarms? Any number of things could have happened in this scenario, this is just how it played out. I dont feel any remorse for any man who would steal from another man. There is ALWAYS another way, so dont come at me with some turn the other cheek nonsense. The man protected his property, IMO he was doing the right thing.

And if you could, let me know the percentage of criminals who leave the scene of a breaking and entering job and are later caught by the police? I would love to know how many cases end up with the criminal later being caught and the victims posessions returned.

Exactly, Pat!

I work hard, in a high risk of injury job. If someone feels they take from me what I have worked hard for, they have made a poor decision. If I was placed in this scenareo, and didn't feel I could handle the situation with my bare hands, I would use a weapon to defend what's mine.

Lives don't.

The issue isn't that the owner wasn't entitled to 'defend' his property. My problem will always be with using a level of force commensurate with the 'crime' and level of danger.

Oh, and there will be many here that were nothing like angels when they were young and yet grew up into responsible members of society. Just because you're an arse when you're young doesn't mean you need to be wiped from the gene pool.

At that split second I don't think anyone could determine what proper level of force is needed. The shop owner was in the right here. IMO

WTTB! I dont know why people cant just have their own opinions without being called ignorant?

Because holding certain opinions makes you ignorant. How else would you define "ignorant" other than lacking in wisdom and knowledge?

And how do you recognize such a lack? When someone holds an opinion that is contradicted by either known facts or common sense.

I recognize that everyone has the "right" to their own opinion. That does not in any way imply that all opinions are equally valid.

Lives don't.

I understand that Nick. But as someone who was NOT an unpstanding member of society in my youth, I didnt steal. And I can think of many times I was in a situation where I thought afterwards I was lucky to be alive. But I have always felt that no man has the right to take another mans property.

It also makes me think of how many robberies end in homicide? Just being home when someone is invading your home puts your life at risk. How many scared criminals pull the trigger? Fear is a heck of a weapon is it not? So say this guy got away, and the next place he had killed the homeowner/shop keep. Then what? I dont believe that a shot through the head is the ONLY answer, but I do believe that if theives were shown this level of force that the risk for any would be theives would likely outweigh the "payoff".

WTTB! I dont know why people cant just have their own opinions without being called ignorant?

Because holding certain opinions makes you ignorant. How else would you define "ignorant" other than lacking in wisdom and knowledge?

And how do you recognize such a lack? When someone holds an opinion that is contradicted by either known facts or common sense.

I recognize that everyone has the "right" to their own opinion. That does not in any way imply that all opinions are equally valid.

Well, it must be nice to know that you will never be put in a situation that may have you making this type of call. Unfortunately I do not live in this special magical land. There is still crime in NJ, and people still get killed.

I think liberals are IGNORANT because they can't understand basic conservative values. But try convincing one of that. They seem to always be right.

The above poster makes my point. He thinks he is right and everyone else is ignorant. If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything. again IMO

I think you're ignorant if you think you will fit in here with this attitude. lol

Be sure to put a sign on your front door stating...

" Burglars will not be shot here (feel free to loot me please)"

meh

Exactly, Pat!

I work hard, in a high risk of injury job. If someone feels they take from me what I have worked hard for, they have made a poor decision. If I was placed in this scenario, and didn't feel I could handle the situation with my bare hands, I would use a weapon to defend what's mine.

(thumbs u

Be sure to put a sign on your front door stating...

" Burglars will not be shot here (feel free to loot me please)"

meh

lol

- by the way burglary is a felony not a "prank"

I used the word "prank" to describe the intentions of the hypothetical teens, not in a legal sense--which should have been obvious.

However, if you want to have a debate over technicalities, then it's only a felony if they steal some of the comics. If they simply break in and, let's say, spray paint their names on a wall, it would be a misdemeanor.

Either way, the owner is not automatically entitled to kill them under the law.

Nerd alert, episode of Star Trek Next Generation, some planet had zero crime, because they had zero tolerance. Any minor robbery or whatever would resuIt in termination. I recall thinking, wouldnt that be great, law abiding people would have paradise, criminals would merely have numbered days.

You do realize Star Trek is make believe, right?

Real world statistics have demonstrated over and over again that your argument is invalid.

Well, it must be nice to know that you will never be put in a situation that may have you making this type of call. Unfortunately I do not live in this special magical land. There is still crime in NJ, and people still get killed.

I'm not sure how any of my statements indicate that I live in a magical land. My argument has nothing to do with what I would do in a similar situation. Many people behave differently in times of stress than what they would otherwise do in calmer moments. That's human nature, but that doesn't mean it's right.

Also, not that it matters, but since you brought it up, I grew up in a neighborhood in the Bronx, and I've been exposed to drugs, murder, and lived under the constant threat of someone breaking in to our apartment.

My father had a gun to protect us.

I can tell you this, though. If he killed someone entering our home he would feel that he did what he had to do--but he wouldn't be congratulating himself about it.