• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buy a $1,000 book, get a five year old polybag.

151 posts in this topic

Isn't the thread title $365 off?

Anyways, I have received expensive books from Forumites in polybags and been surprised, but the books arrived safely so it wasn't an issue.

I'm suprised that people have issues with shipping in Mylars. I received plenty that way with no problems. Are we talking about a good old Mylite 2 with the flap creased, folded and taped? If anything, books are more snug and less likely to slide around inside one of those (barring a top loader of course) than in a polybag.

If I'm shipping a higher grade or pricey book, I generally ship in a Mylite 2 as described above with a half back or full back, and have never had a problem. That's how I have them stored and don't swap bags for shipping. Although on occasion I may have shipped books with sharp corners in polybags because I didn't want to risk blunting the edges by changing to a Mylar.

I'm suprised that people have issues with shipping in Mylars. I received plenty that way with no problems. Are we talking about a good old Mylite 2 with the flap creased, folded and taped?

I'm pretty sure they're referring to the open-topped 4-mil type that do not fit snugly because of the way the bag seals together at the three sealed edges--that's the most common type of mylar people have used since Cole and Gerber introduced them to comics decades ago.

I'm suprised that people have issues with shipping in Mylars. I received plenty that way with no problems. Are we talking about a good old Mylite 2 with the flap creased, folded and taped?

I'm pretty sure they're referring to the open-topped 4-mil type that do not fit snugly because of the way the bag seals together at the three sealed edges--that's the most common type of mylar people have used since Cole and Gerber introduced them to comics decades ago.

Yes,

Gerber now calls them "Archives".

They are the ones with the open "tabbed" top. No flap.

Horrible to get stuff shipped in those.

Yes,

I now ship my highest grade books to CGC exclusively in these. Never had a problem.

I use an open top archive, a full back, stack them, place a small stack of them into a CGC slab plastic bag, fasten the bag with tape so that the stack is snug and then place between 2 pieces cardboard like I've always done.

If they are snug I have trouble seeing a book slip out of one of these.

You know what - when I ship, my aim is to protect. If it is a $1K book, then the buyer should be able to spring for the what....., $1 or $2 to put the book in his choice of sleeve after he gets the book.

I've had books damaged because they were shipped in too big of a mylar/mylite, damaged because they were shipped in open top mylar and the book whipped into the tape, damaged because they were shipped in a priority envelope or other crappy packaging, etc,etc, etc.

Any book I get in is usually in the wrong sleeve to integrate into my collection anyway - I expect this, and any expensive book I get in, I put in a mylite2 and FB. I hate snugs - I save them up and sell them to Tracey Heft - my opinion is they suck for comic book storage.

I would be extremely happy if I could just get books mailed to me without shipping damage. But that seems to be too much to ask of many sellers.

And yes, I still have very expensive books in my collection in polyethylene/polypropylene bags with cheap backing boards.

You talk too much.

:shy:

All I care about is receiving the book I paid for, undamaged. If I get the book wrapped up in postmarked in Egyptian cotton, I don't care as long as it's undamaged, and I won't give it a second thought.

If, upon receiving an undamaged book, I wasn't thrilled with the manner in which it was shipped to me, then I'll either not buy from that seller again, or make sure to insist on different materials if I do. But being angry because a book that arrived safe *could* have been damaged in an envelope is ridiculous. Similarly, I can deal with spending a few cents to put the book in a better bag.

Life isn't that difficult.

The single 9.8 Stranges in Paradise #1 was shipped to me...raw...in February of this year in a Large Flat Rate Priority Box, with nothing inside but a couple of layers of tissue paper, the kind used for presents.

How it survived, I have no idea, but it did.

Yes,

I now ship my highest grade books to CGC exclusively in these. Never had a problem.

I use an open top archive, a full back, stack them, place a small stack of them into a CGC slab plastic bag, fasten the bag with tape so that the stack is snug and then place between 2 pieces cardboard like I've always done.

If they are snug I have trouble seeing a book slip out of one of these.

See, but you, know how to package and ship.

Most of the archives I have gotten in the mail were not placed in another bag.

The envelope shipping is just estupido! I generally give envelope option on cheap books but always boxes on UHG, and more expensive books. After all its my cash being sent. Book gets damaged, I refund money and sell it for less next time.

Frankly, I'm not really concerned about the bag and board. If a book arrives and looks like it needs to be replaced, then I do it. But I hardly expect a mylar. ACTUALLY, I hate mylars as they don't store well in my long or short boxes. I'd think mylites are a better option... but that's a bit OT.

For a book of THAT value, though? Yeah, absolutely NO reason whatsoever that a box wasn't used to protect that book. That's just not being careful and cautious seller.

I am usually disappointed when I buy a PRICY book and it arrives in an envelope. Less expensive book? They're fine.... but a little common sense can go a long way.

:baiting:

My only defense is a posted before 9:00am... lol

The envelope shipping is just estupido! I generally give envelope option on cheap books but always boxes on UHG, and more expensive books. After all its my cash being sent. Book gets damaged, I refund money and sell it for less next time.

Frankly, I'm not really concerned about the bag and board. If a book arrives and looks like it needs to be replaced, then I do it. But I hardly expect a mylar. ACTUALLY, I hate mylars as they don't store well in my long or short boxes. I'd think mylites are a better option... but that's a bit OT.

For a book of THAT value, though? Yeah, absolutely NO reason whatsoever that a box wasn't used to protect that book. That's just not being careful and cautious seller.

I am usually disappointed when I buy a PRICY book and it arrives in an envelope. Less expensive book? They're fine.... but a little common sense can go a long way.

:makepoint:

What's your defense now...?

hm

Isn't the thread title $365 off?

Anyways, I have received expensive books from Forumites in polybags and been surprised, but the books arrived safely so it wasn't an issue.

I'm suprised that people have issues with shipping in Mylars. I received plenty that way with no problems. Are we talking about a good old Mylite 2 with the flap creased, folded and taped? If anything, books are more snug and less likely to slide around inside one of those (barring a top loader of course) than in a polybag.

If I'm shipping a higher grade or pricey book, I generally ship in a Mylite 2 as described above with a half back or full back, and have never had a problem. That's how I have them stored and don't swap bags for shipping. Although on occasion I may have shipped books with sharp corners in polybags because I didn't want to risk blunting the edges by changing to a Mylar.

If I bought a Fantastic Four #1 for ten dollars is it a ten dollar book or is it worth thousands? The seller is the one who put the $1,000 value on it, not me.

eh, It doesn't matter what any one says the value is.

If it ended at $635 on eBay and was listed properly, $635 was fair market value, per the listing.

I mostly brought that up to :baiting: Shad.

It doesn’t really matter since his point is he’s surprised the seller would ship a book the seller himself considers a $1k book in a polybag.