• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,545 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, BitterOldMan said:

G.A.tor,

Since you have been a vendor at SDCC many times.  Do you still walk the entire exhibit hall or just stay around the comic book section.  One of my long-time vendor buddies no longer walks the entire exhibit hall.  Unfortunately, there are many aisles of magic crystals, wigs, and absolute drek.

I walk it before the con opens. The sheer mass of bodies makes it a logistical nightmare to traverse any other time 

How do you feel about Young Men? :devil:

Actually how do you feel about Young Men #24 and really the rest of the Atlas limited superhero revival books? Good growth on these over the next few years and will Young Men #24 pull further ahead of the rest? Or do you see these as about priced right with limited growth?

How about other Atlas key books that have a current Marvel connection like Venus #19 or Menace #5?

I think you brought up YM #24 vs Showcase #4 as to scarcity with you saying the Atlas book is tougher than the DC book if I remember correctly?

6 hours ago, N e r V said:

How do you feel about Young Men? :devil:

Actually how do you feel about Young Men #24 and really the rest of the Atlas limited superhero revival books? Good growth on these over the next few years and will Young Men #24 pull further ahead of the rest? Or do you see these as about priced right with limited growth?

How about other Atlas key books that have a current Marvel connection like Venus #19 or Menace #5?

I think you brought up YM #24 vs Showcase #4 as to scarcity with you saying the Atlas book is tougher than the DC book if I remember correctly?

I think atlas books will experience a demand bump

Does a Canadian copy of either Captain America #74 or 75 carry a premium over the US editions?

If one or both do what is the percentage up or down vs US editions.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, N e r V said:

Does a Canadian copy of either Captain America #74 or 75 carry a premium over the US editions?

If one or both do what is the percentage up or down vs US editions.

Thanks.

nope...% varies...seen as low at 40% and as high as 90%...depends on who wants it

7 hours ago, N e r V said:

Thanks. Follow up question.

What is the current market ranges for a copy of #75 in 4.0 to 6.0 and a #74 in 3.5 to 4.5?

US or Canadian?

Prices for US copies.

Copies don't seem to come up often on both and I've noticed auction prices when they are available seem much higher than just buying a copy outright from a seller.

7 hours ago, N e r V said:

Prices for US copies.

Copies don't seem to come up often on both and I've noticed auction prices when they are available seem much higher than just buying a copy outright from a seller.

I haven't seen many for sale, so I would use auction prices realized as an approx. value

Gator/Rick - do you know if there was ever any thought for the Sub-Mariner to have a young sidekick especially once he started fighting along with Cap and HT?  They were in vogue and the young oceanite would have been a fit with the Young Allies.  Too much of a loner?

1 hour ago, telerites said:

Gator/Rick - do you know if there was ever any thought for the Sub-Mariner to have a young sidekick especially once he started fighting along with Cap and HT?  They were in vogue and the young oceanite would have been a fit with the Young Allies.  Too much of a loner?

Maybe "subby-lad" lol

2 hours ago, HRCostigan said:

Years ago, you (or was it Bedrock?) estimated that there were approximately 10,000 GA collectors out there.  I am wondering what you would estimate today.

Seems for everyone that gets out, another enters to replace. 

Was asking you this question in the AF 15 thread over in the SA Forum, but since I was really referring to a GA book, I figure it would be more appropriate here:

58 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Any idea if a 4.0 is the highest possible grade for a book that has rusty staples?  hm

If you replace the rusty staple with vintage staples from that same time period, would the book then become a GLOD or would it be much worse and fall into the much dreaded PLOD category?  ???

27 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

They used to get green/qualified. I think conserved now. 

Let's say the book is a pre-Robin 'Tec and would fall somewhere in the 4.0 to 5.0 condition grade range if not for the rusty staples.  Approximately how much would the grade come down if the staples were very rusty and dark brown?  ???

In today's marketplace, would the book be worth more as a lower graded unrestored copy with the very rusty staples or would it be worth less or pretty much the same in a higher graded Conserved slab sitting all nice and pretty with replaced vintage staples?  hm

8 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Was asking you this question in the AF 15 thread over in the SA Forum, but since I was really referring to a GA book, I figure it would be more appropriate here:

Let's say the book is a pre-Robin 'Tec and would fall somewhere in the 4.0 to 5.0 condition grade range if not for the rusty staples.  Approximately how much would the grade come down if the staples were very rusty and dark brown?  ???

In today's marketplace, would the book be worth more as a lower graded unrestored copy with the very rusty staples or would it be worth less or pretty much the same in a higher graded Conserved slab sitting all nice and pretty with replaced vintage staples?  hm

Conserved are worth less in he market even though , in case of staples, its beneficial to the book. 

Move seen 7.0s with some staple rust. I've seen an 8.5 action 1 with minor rust. 

Gator, any idea who could possibly have an unrestored cover of a MM2 (or an unrestored incomplete) copy?  I know this stuff doesn't grow on trees... thanks sir !

As things stand, I am attaching a color copy cover using original staples and goin' the Voldy route for their 0.3... but obviously I could reverse this later.

Edited by exitmusicblue

10 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

Gator, any idea who could possibly have an unrestored cover of a MM2 (or an unrestored incomplete) copy?  I know this stuff doesn't grow on trees... thanks sir !

As things stand, I am attaching a color copy cover using original staples and goin' the Voldy route for their 0.3... but obviously I could reverse this later.

Unfortunately not aware of any

11 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

Slabbed without the fake cover would be much nicer imo. 

As a collector and potential buyer, these wouldn't be as appealing with a fake cover hiding the quality.  It's always nice to see the original material and it's condition.

Mc1.jpg

SKonica3Eas17031619532_0001.jpg

s-l1600ss.jpg

2 hours ago, Knightsofold said:

Slabbed without the fake cover would be much nicer imo. 

As a collector and potential buyer, these wouldn't be as appealing with a fake cover hiding the quality.  It's always nice to see the original material and it's condition.

Sorry to say I'm not a fan of coverless copies in slabs nor a NG label just as a matter of personal preference. Not planning to ever move it (I love the thing haha), I know of its pages' condition (cream to off-white) and like to see the iconic cover on it even if it's a copy as well as the 0.3.  Again, a fluid situation if I ever run into a real cover, chances of which are extremely low.