• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is a Famous Monsters / Vampirella / etc. collection worth?

14 posts in this topic

This is a general question for those who have bought/sold comic magazines: What is a Famous Monsters of Filmland collection worth? And what's the best way to sell it?

The reason I ask is that I just met a guy in town who has a huge collection of Warren magazines. He collected them as a teenager and has pretty much the full run of Famous Monsters of Filmland, including all the Famous Monsters of Filmland Yearbooks. He also has a bunch of other Warren magazines, such as mags based on specific horror films (from the 1960s), a Vampirella #1, a Creepy #1, and various other items (some comic books, like the Star Trek #1 variant cover).

This guy has been storing these in his garage since he was a kid. He has little idea how to use eBay (nor much patience for it), and now he wants to sell them. The problem is that he has poked around on eBay and he sees people selling these individual mags for $500 or more, and he thinks he can get that much when he sells. I am trying to break it to him that no, usually people get starry-eyed about their own collections, and many of the eBay sellers asking high prices are shooting for the moon and doing a long-term wait for the right buyer to come along.

Nonetheless, this guy's mags are mostly in terrific condition. The Vampirella is easily a FN (just a few crease lines on the spine, and rounded corners, but otherwise really glossy and new-feeling). The Famous Monsters #1 has some problems, but many of the other issues (#2 through #80 or higher) are high-grade, as is the Creepy #1 (which I told him I didn't think is worth all that much due to high distribution in 1964).

I'm thinking of offering to sell them for him if I can get a percentage and maybe keep the Vampirella #1.

Anyway, I would love to hear what any of you think this stuff is worth, or what your experiences have been buying and selling.

Sell them all here

That is something I would consider. If so, I would probably just tell the guy to get an account and do it himself. No point in me being a middleman on that. Guess I'll have to do some archives searches to see what others here have sold them for. I don't know much about the market for these at all -- I mostly collect Mads and assorted golden-age comics.

What condition is the Star Trek in :baiting: and does he have other ST issues? I live in Socal and would be willing to drive for a peek at them.

The Star Trek was in lower grade but still held together. Probably 3.5. That's the only one he had. He had a smattering of Silver Age comics but nothing worth mentioning -- mostly Gold Key type stuff. I'm going to email him and see if he listed here yet. Originally I was going to help him set up his eBay sales but I think he got overwhelmed by all the work it would take.

That's funny. We're in Southern California so the garage is OK. Looks like he had them all in plastic baggies (the cheaper kind) and sealed up in plastic containers.

Wouldn't the garage be more than a bit hot? Heat I understand causes paper to yellow horribly.

The first thirty issues or so of Famous Monsters of Filmland are much tougher to find than any Vampirella issues. I'd be interested in most of those if they're really nice.

:cool:

That's funny. We're in Southern California so the garage is OK. Looks like he had them all in plastic baggies (the cheaper kind) and sealed up in plastic containers.

Wouldn't the garage be more than a bit hot? Heat I understand causes paper to yellow horribly.

The first thirty issues or so of Famous Monsters of Filmland are much tougher to find than any Vampirella issues. I'd be interested in most of those if they're really nice.

:cool:

From what I hear is that FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND #114 is hard to find as well. The Godzilla issue.

Wouldn't the garage be more than a bit hot? Heat I understand causes paper to yellow horribly. The first thirty issues or so of Famous Monsters of Filmland are much tougher to find than any Vampirella issues. I'd be interested in most of those if they're really nice.

He's been selling them off to some local fans. I haven't talked to the guy in a while. He has a FN or so copy of Vampirella #1 that I've considered buying, but I think he wants too much for it. Regarding garage heat, it all depends on proximity to the ocean. Houses within a mile or two of the ocean get a constant cool breeze, due to the water currents that come down from the north. Houses farther inland get standard desert heat. I looked over the magazines and they do not show heat damage, just general handling wear, etc. Most were in the FN range.

Early FAMOUS MONSTERS issues sill for some silly prices. I picked a up a few for $4-10 each a few years back without knowing their value. I was blown away when I was able to sell some for 10+times what I paid!!!!

Fun books.

Have fun selling them.

The problem is that he has poked around on eBay and he sees people selling these individual mags for $500 or more, and he thinks he can get that much when he sells. I am trying to break it to him that no, usually people get starry-eyed about their own collections, and many of the eBay sellers asking high prices are shooting for the moon and doing a long-term wait for the right buyer to come along.

That is very true. The Completed Listing is a more accurate way to figure out prices.