• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

11x17 Macintosh Scanner recommendations?

48 posts in this topic

Brother MFC5895CW scanner/printer look pretty good

http://www.brother-usa.com/MFC/modeldetail.aspx?PRODUCTID=MFC5890CN&tab=spec

Says $199 but Amazon has it for $120

I have used the Brother 6890CDW and works really well scanning but its bulkier and cost $150 more.

There is also the Mustek A3 USB 2400 which runs $250

http://outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed.com/3al9g3v

I have the Mustek A3 USB 1200 scanner and it does a good job scanning.

I think the Brother MFC5895CW is your best value its a printer/scanner and wireless.

The big advantage the Mustek A3 USB 2400 has over the Brother MFC5895CW is the Mustek is 2400 optical resolution and Brother is 1200 optical resolution. For most people 1200 is fine only if you are scanning for print reproduction would 2400 be an advantage.

Thanks Brian I'm sure this answered a lot of people's questions regarding scanning their OA - not sure how much time Arch spends in the OA forum but this small thread should be a sticky. Original Art Scanner recommendations.

I've used a couple of Epson scanners at work (11x17 and 8.5x11) and they are a very, very quick and nice product overall (hardware and software, with no breakage). Epson scanners in general are really good quality scanners. We replaced a 11x17 UMax scanner that was slow and broke two belts with the Epson...the difference between the two brands was night and day.

I have a Lexmark printer/scanner at home that I have no complaints about (with the exception of the clunky software that comes with it).

I had a Mustek scanner in the past that was complete junk, slow, clunky, and cheaply made. I wanted to beat that thing "Office Space style" when it quit working.

I have the Epson Expression 10000 XL.

It's an 12 x 17 inch flatbed.

A great, fast scanner.

Ain't cheap though. Probably around $2000.

Mitch I.

I agree Mitch,

Epson makes a nice product.

I used an 836xl for almost 10 years before the glass caught a healthy scratch and I ponied up and bought a replacement. Wound up getting the Epson GT-20000, not as high end as your Epson but a lot faster and quieter than my old one.

Its been a long while since this was talked about.

I am looking for something that is not an all in one and not $1000++

Probably would spend $300-500.

I want something that is large enough to do art but will also do color especially slabs well.

Any help or ideas would be great. Thanks

James G

I'm not sure why people are discussing the Brother 5895 - according to Brother's website, that only has a 8.5 X 11 scanning plate. It can apparently print 11x17 - but not scan.

The brother MCF-6890CDW does have a ledger size (11.7x17) scan plate. It is a discontinued model. I don't know if Brother makes something comparable or not. And by comparable I mean size and price.

The Mustek scanner mentioned is also made in a 1200dpi model and is around $150 online. You can find it on Amazon or Newegg. Best But also carries it online and you can order it to be delivered to the store.

The Mustek uses a Contact Image Sensor for the scan. At least in theory, this might not yield the best scans of slabbed books as the sensor is set to read right on the plate. But scanners using Charged Coupled devices - which should have more "depth" in the scan can run much, much more. Brother's website doesn't say what tech is used to scan on the mulit function machines discussed her.

Also have been complaints of the Mustek's software - especially a feature that starts the scanning program everytime the lid is opened. But if you read about some you can find that is easily disabled by covering an infrared switch with a piece of paper.

Just bumping this thread up, anyone else with more commentary on the various scanners? I'd like one that can scan art and comic books with equal ease. Also I noted there was a mention that the Mustek software was a pain, had been leaning toward the 1200 but I hate it when the brand software continuously overrides the photo shop software.

....... well my Mustek 2400 arrived today, so I will be scanning all my stuff and reporting the images on CAF. let everyone know hos it goes.

Just bumping this thread up, anyone else with more commentary on the various scanners? I'd like one that can scan art and comic books with equal ease. Also I noted there was a mention that the Mustek software was a pain, had been leaning toward the 1200 but I hate it when the brand software continuously overrides the photo shop software.

....... well my Mustek 2400 arrived today, so I will be scanning all my stuff and reporting the images on CAF. let everyone know hos it goes.

I loved my Mustek 2400 until it died. Bang for your buck, really good deal.

I loved my Mustek 2400 until it died. Bang for your buck, really good deal.

Yep, mine's been carrying the load for a few years -- I didn't think it would hold up given the build quality but for the price, it's been great. Scanning line art in particular works very well.

I'm on my second Mustek and it is starting to make the same horrible grinding noise at the end of the scan cycle that the first one did- only way to stop it is to unplug the machine. It will be a pain to return for service- anyone know how to fix this by any chance?

I have the Epson Expression 10000 XL.

It's an 12 x 17 inch flatbed.

A great, fast scanner.

Ain't cheap though. Probably around $2000.

Mitch I.

I agree Mitch,

Epson makes a nice product.

I used an 836xl for almost 10 years before the glass caught a healthy scratch and I ponied up and bought a replacement. Wound up getting the Epson GT-20000, not as high end as your Epson but a lot faster and quieter than my old one.

I'd second the Epson GT-20000 - brand-new it retails for above $1,000, but it shows up used on eBay in the $500 range all the time ... I paid $400 shipped for mine which included having the glass being replaced.