• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

major auction of cgc graded on dec 16th 11 am eastern WELL WORTH A LOOK

66 posts in this topic

no it wont thsats absolute bollocks andthere is no duty what so ever on printed matter anywher in the world least of ll commonweath countries

and if with the buyers premium a pound will equal $1.80 as opposed to the current rate of aroun $1.60 its allways been like this when you buy from the uk because the pound is generally woth around $1.60 its no different from buying from ebay except you are guranteed to get your purchase and it will be what it says it is , anyway the esimates are so low you have plenty of room

as for fees do the auction houes in the usa not charge buyers premium? and if im not mistaken this has always been an issue with canada and the usa too has it not when a dollar is worth a dollar? ,so if you are in canad you declare the item as printed matter and no duty to be paid same as the usa!

As a very rough rule of thumb for every ONE POUND hammer price you spend this will work out at a final bill of slightly under TWO US dollars to get your purchase all the way to your home.(Hammer price, Buyer's premium, Postage & Insurance) There are no import charges or further taxes.

Sorry, having trouble following along...are you saying that for every 1 Pound I spend it will cost an additional $2US after all is said and done?

???

That's what it sounds like.

And 1 pound is roughly $2US isn't it? so double the price of whatever I bid to get it over here?

EDIT: Maybe he means take the pound number and double it to get $US price...so if a book costs 100 pounds, it means it will cost $200 US.

Even if it isn't that it sounds like an absolutely ridiculous amount of fees to pay...17-18% buyer premium, additional percentages for using a credit card (illegal if I'm not mistaken) blah blah

Additionally, we pay roughly 10% on whatever comes to Canada in the way of customs fees as well.

:eek:

That is info from the site directly,not anything that i'm saying,just so that's clear.

All that info is "copy/paste" from the site to here.

You left out 3%+ for internet bidding..so the BP is really 21%.

It says that US to Uk conversion is 1Uk = $1.59 ...so yes 100pounds bid=$159US + BP(17.5%)+Shipping and (INS 1%) +3.xx% internet bid+ 2% CC on TOTAL or whatever a bank transfer costs...

On a large $ items,a $45+$11(their trans fee) bank transfer would be better than 2%.

Anyways,a lot of fee's.

as for fees do the auction houes in the usa not charge buyers premium? and if im not mistaken this has always been an issue with canada and the usa too has it not when a dollar is worth a dollar? ,so if you are in canad you declare the item as printed matter and no duty to be paid same as the usa!

There is a weight limit for what can be sent as Printed Matter to Canada. I had to repack the last bunch of comics I sent to Canada as they went over that limit. Four slabs properly packaged, is on the borderline of going over that limit.

im sure the serious buyers can negotiate a deal ,

I hope so,this was all just a reply to you saying people are asking what the reserves are,and i understand why,and was hoping this would make you undersatnd as well.

There are a lot of extra fee's,expecially for us here in the US and Canada.

So a "good deal",after 21% BP(internet bids)+ Shipping/ins + CC fee or bank trans may not equate to a great deal,especially if the reserve is anywhere close to market or GPA value.

Realistic,the Reserve has to be like a minimum of 25% lower than current values for a book to still cost right about current market value price.Get my point?Hope you have figured that in.

Some auction houses charge only a seller's fee (usually around 10%). Some auction houses additionally charge a buyer's fee (18% or so from Heritage).

There are no other additional fees and that makes it much easier to keep track of what yu are paying.

Having to work in internet bidding fees, credit card fees...that is just a pain in the butt.

How are they going to negotiate a deal after the auction?

This is something the auction house should have sorted out before hand, not expect to work it out after you win the books.

How are they going to negotiate a deal after the auction?

This is something the auction house should have sorted out before hand, not expect to work it out after you win the books.

This is heading straight for "Mound City Round 1,Take 2"....

EDIT: There are going to be a lot of problems at the end of this auction with overseas buyers. 2c

I'm not trying to be difficult. I want to bid on some books, but I don't want to sit there while the auction clock is running and try and figure stuff out on the fly.

An auction should be easy...you bid, and you know what you are paying.

All these layers of rules and fees really is a mess.

So a question to the original person who started this thread:

Are you the owner of the books or do you work for the auction house?

I'm not trying to be difficult. I want to bid on some books, but I don't want to sit there while the auction clock is running and try and figure stuff out on the fly.

An auction should be easy...you bid, and you know what you are paying.

All these layers of rules and fees really is a mess.

So a question to the original person who started this thread:

Are you the owner of the books or do you work for the auction house?

I spoke to a lady at the auction house who was very helpful. If you could contact them, I'm sure they could clear up all your questions.

I spoke to a lady at the auction house who was very helpful. If you could contact them, I'm sure they could clear up all your questions.

Except they are 5 hours ahead...so the auction will be starting 6 am my time tomorrow morning.

:insane:

no it wont thsats absolute bollocks andthere is no duty what so ever on printed matter anywher in the world least of ll commonweath countries

and if with the buyers premium a pound will equal $1.80 as opposed to the current rate of aroun $1.60 its allways been like this when you buy from the uk because the pound is generally woth around $1.60 its no different from buying from ebay except you are guranteed to get your purchase and it will be what it says it is , anyway the esimates are so low you have plenty of room

What? Most of the world treats printed matter just like any other dutiable item - the UK is the exception, not the rule.

sorry you are 100 per cent wrong and talking bollocks if that was the case why did i not pay duty when i sent my books to be cgc graded and they were declared at customs, and whats more any item of american origin regardless of what it is, is tax and duty free to re import to the usa HOW DO I KNOW THIS?

I deal in antique slot machines and regularly send machines such as jennings mills etc alll made in chicago il in the 20s and 30s all are sent tax free and the same rule applies to canada ,

Just a reminder the comics wont start untill around 11 to 11 30 eastern time for live bidding as they are at the end of the days auction

Not to derail the thread but I have a big interest in Vintage slot machines. How Can I contact to you inquire about these iems?

Thanks.