• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not to be Sold Comic Stamps
1 1

25 posts in this topic

Office copies, and review copies. Marvel used to have a free circulation list of well over two hundred back in the DeFalco era.

At one point, every Marvel employee could get a copy of every book, and they would also send out packages of books to writers and artists that they were cultivating.

Advance review copies were B&W photocopies, as the books were on sale within a day of being printed.

When longtime DC employee E. Nelson Bridwell died, his collection included thousands of Marvels with similar stamps so Marvel might have been sending comp copies across town, or perhaps Bridwell did some horsetrading with his Marvel buddies.

I've got a couple of dozen myself. Some from Carole Kalish, or Lou Banks or Tom DeFalco and some I bought when Bridwells collection was sold by Phil Levine.

Office copies, and review copies. Marvel used to have a free circulation list of well over two hundred back in the DeFalco era.

At one point, every Marvel employee could get a copy of every book, and they would also send out packages of books to writers and artists that they were cultivating.

Advance review copies were B&W photocopies, as the books were on sale within a day of being printed.

When longtime DC employee E. Nelson Bridwell died, his collection included thousands of Marvels with similar stamps so Marvel might have been sending comp copies across town, or perhaps Bridwell did some horsetrading with his Marvel buddies.

I've got a couple of dozen myself. Some from Carole Kalish, or Lou Banks or Tom DeFalco and some I bought when Bridwells collection was sold by Phil Levine.

Interesting.

Any added value?

I have no idea either... can I ask where you got these? I wonder if these were early preview copies or something?

These are part of some original owner collection I am selling.. The owner grew up in lower Manhattan.. beyond that I don't know where they came from..but I'll ask him

Holy crapola! :headbang: your depth of knowledge gives me vertigo when i stand on its edge! thanks

Interesting.

Any added value?

These are worth Billions of dollars...

in 3098.

;)

Holy crapola! :headbang: your depth of knowledge gives me vertigo when i stand on its edge! thanks

I double that crapola! GREAT info! Thanks! (I'm watching these ivegotneatstuff... they will be a cool added piece of triva in my Joe collection!)

just sent this to Mark Haspel

curious to know what he has to say...

How did you send it? He generally doesn't come onto the boards.

I'd be amazed if the list was only a couple hundred long. This practice went way back. In fact, when I started collecting from 1975-1980, many of my Marvels came from two neighborhood kids whose dad was a childhood friend of Stan Lee. He had no connection to the industry, but his kids were on the list. Every two weeks a sizable box came to them, and they used to read them once then sell them to us 5 for a buck. Everything new would be in the box-- Marvel Classics, the Hanna Barbera books, and mainstream stuff. The only thing missing was reprints, and I always assumed this was because the list was generally for industry folks who were being kept up-to-date on what was being published.

I always wondered how often the list was reviewed, and how they took you off of it.

DeFalco and Kalish both told me at different times the list was over two hundred people. now, 201 is over 200, as is 500, so I don't know the higher end, just that it was over 200.

I've heard that under the Goodman/Lee regime, boxes were sent out to kids, but that doesn't seem to have continued thru DeFalcos reign.

Around 1998, I had a neighbor who worked for Marvel as an accountant and he got free copies but they were not stamped in any way.

Were your friends copies stamped "complimentry"

The plant that printed them in Sparta Illinois used to give away comics to their employees. They'd bundle up stacks of around 100 books and have them by the employee entrance. Each employee could take home a stack every week as a little "thank you" from the publishers.

All the comics given to the employees were stamped with these same stamps. This practice went on for many years, so there's countless books the stamp can turn up on.

DeFalco and Kalish both told me at different times the list was over two hundred people. now, 201 is over 200, as is 500, so I don't know the higher end, just that it was over 200.

I've heard that under the Goodman/Lee regime, boxes were sent out to kids, but that doesn't seem to have continued thru DeFalcos reign.

Around 1998, I had a neighbor who worked for Marvel as an accountant and he got free copies but they were not stamped in any way.

Were your friends copies stamped "complimentry"

My friends' copies were missing the stamp. Not surprisingly given the content of the stamp, I had always been told that at some point someone at Marvel got po'd upon seeing a pro hawk their comps at a show.

Dice---never knew that. Pretty cool perk--would make your average Sparta employee look like a god to their kids and cost them next to nothing to do. I actually have some decades old "borrowed" copies from Sparta bought by another board member from a Sparta employee. Very cool books, w/ Sparta bags.

I don't think people on Marvel and DC's comp lists received Stamped Books necessarily...

Steve Wyatt sold Ann Nocenti's comic collection (and she had basically runs from the 80's up) which I assume she received free as a Marvel staffer. I don't remember those books being stamped... but I could be wrong.