• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kick Azz Toys From Your Childhood...
1 1

964 posts in this topic

Anyone heard of Bone Age by Kenner?

I was "too old" for toys at this point. So I don't remember them.

But I was offered a collection and thought there were kind of neat. Almost a mix of MASK, Transformers, and Dino Riders.

Pat

Post pics. I don't have any, but they look pretty sweet.

Pat

I don't have any pics and they are currently packed away. I have a lot of stuff and almost all of it divided between the bank, storage and relatives homes. One day I may be able to actually enjoy my collections.

Prowl - compared to his G1 counterpart and some others...

27391740d1379672749-mp-17-prowl-mp-18-bluestreak-mp-19-smokescreen-bul45b9cmaabp-h_1379760299.jpg

400px-Masterpiece-MP14Alert.jpg

grimlock-25.jpg

mprodimus_comparison_rodimusprime.jpg

Oh... that takes me back. Kids across the pond were at a disadvantage as we never saw the full range released over here (most of them but not all). I was fortunate enough to have a relative working for the MOD who had access to American bases where they stocked all kinds of wonderful toys :cloud9: ... it was a joy to own some of the harder to get stuff like Shockwave or a set of Destructicons. Really sucks that my Dad had a garage fire and I ended up with one big Transformer that had performed its final transformation. *sigh*

Teaser for the upcoming episode of Toy Hunter which I believe airs tonight on Travel Channel at 9PM - shows DMC going to a pick for MEGO's. Pretty cool:

The episode was very disappointing for me. I wish they would do an extended edition (maybe even on the DVD). I want to see what's actually in the boxes, on the shelves, etc. It's obvious he goes for a theme each episode, but so many cool things are "dismissed" around him.

Pat

A couple of recent additions to the FTL collection:

G1 Sky Lynx with Styrofoam insert.

He's very large and quite heavy for a TF

IMG_2136_zps1d61f38b.jpg

Here's the box. Pretty nice shape. Nothing cut out of the back (should have taken a pic, oh well). It display very well.

IMG_2137_zpsd88c459c.jpg

I bought this from a guy on Craigslist. Not the greatest of shape. But it's 100% complete. Scorponok boxes are very hard to find. I wish the Styrofoam for Scorponok had been in the form of his robot (versus the Scorpion).

IMG_2138_zps263ba7a1.jpg

The bigger the TFs got, the tougher it is on the boxes. They are nearly paper thin. So not a lot of support when the styro is out.

Pat

Teaser for the upcoming episode of Toy Hunter which I believe airs tonight on Travel Channel at 9PM - shows DMC going to a pick for MEGO's. Pretty cool:

It was a cool episode, but I did not like the updated 'KISS' episode they did. I wish they woud focus on the toys and not the celebrities, but understand that with a niche show, there really is no other option to appeal to a wider audience.

Jordan is cool!

Bought a few smaller collections.

Thought I'd post a few.

This is from a freak child. One that kept every piece (except the friggin microphone).

Needs dusting. But complete and fantastic shape.

Forgot to show the file card from the box, the unapplied sticker sheet, and the instructions!

Definitely one of my favorite Joe pieces.

IMG_2249_zps80e4c39a.jpg

Very next night, from another guy.

I'm an insufficiently_thoughtful_person again. Forgot to picture a number of items.

Includes Krulos (lizard leader) and one of the others (missing the snake guy). Also forgot to include the leg pieces.

These things are extremely fragile.

It still works electronically but not well.

Majority of it is complete, but I am missing some parts. Shouldn't be too hard now that I got this much of it.

IMG_2246_zps910bc633.jpg

One of my favorite purchases was something called Spinjas. Basically a game that had tops shaped like ninjas. You put them in a spinning device and shot them at another person's top. Whoever stayed up the longest or on the box would win.

Patrick

Sweet Pat!

Here are a few pieces from the last month or so. The MIB ESB bilingual GDE/SW Falcon was a thrill to find locally, came complete and with the original bilingual instructions:

Falcon_ESB_GDE_zpsbf3dcbec.jpg

The MIB Slave 1 came from the same person - same deal, complete with instructions and it actually has the decal sheet with about half the stickers unapplied:

slave1_sm_zps6afaa1af.jpg

The Cobot was a real fun find as well. Came with inserts and the box is in nice displaying condition. For those who have not seen one before, it's a cool crossover promotional piece. It's a remote-controlled (RC) R2-D2 with Coca-Cola advertising on the body, and it's a robot piece as well. There are also three bottles mounted on the base of each leg to "fuel" the droid. So Star Wars collectors, Coke collectors, RC collectors and collectors of robots all are into it:

1966911_10202293777878466_1976990043_n.jpg

1925248_10202293777198449_1252064755_n.jpg

1926789_10202293776878441_1633175508_n.jpg

However I think the more fascinating aspect of this piece is the way they acknowledge a patent pending on the character/design on the bottom left-hand corner of the box.

The details on this toy are pretty scant. What I do know is that in the late 1970's, Coca-Cola was using the "Cobot" as a promotional tool that resembled R2-D2. They had a 4 foot robot making appearances all across the US. It was during this time that the remote controlled Cobot was manufactured. There is a very good chance they were sold in-store, whenever/wherever Cobot's would make appearances.

I tried to look up a patent design on the USTPO database for R2-D2, but it would have had a different file number if/when it was registered. Someone who knows about patents could chime-in as I'm not as familiar with them as I am with trademarks, but the way Coca-Cola put "DES. PAT 251628 LFL 1977 1979" on the box is particularly odd. In a sense they are openly admitting they know it's a rip-off of the R2-D2 character, which has a design patent filed.

This way to remark or note pending patents/designs is usually something the company who files the Patent would cite as an advisory that they are in rightful ownership of the IP. The way Coca-Cola did it is akin to seeing a bootleg that uses the LFL copyright, even though they never got permission, nor were they licensed to produce the toy.

As I understand it, the similarity to R2-D2 is what eventually caused Coca-Cola to stop manufacturing the Cobot. This fact, coupled with the toy continuing to be one of the scarcer Coca-Cola collectibles combine to make it difficult (and perhaps for reasons Coca-Cola itself might prefer others aren't reminded of their marketing faux pas) for references to be found of this past promotional campaign.

I guess timing was everything back then, both in marketing this piece and riding on the success the SW film achieved. As I understand it, these started being released sometime around 1979/1980.

When I was growing up in the 80's I had a lot of toy lines I liked, but my favorite single toy was probably the Kenner ED-209.

I still have that one, but when I saw NECA had finally made a new one I had to have it.

6D849A9E-6287-4329-8919-43FF88DC2559_zps4etptpku.jpg

08492EB3-ED11-4986-B9F5-55E9F540B09E_zpsrdi47mki.jpg

Just got it and I figure there is at least 1 other person on the site who might be interested in it so I thought I would give it a quick review.

It has nice packaging is an okay size and good detail, but the quality of the piece is simply not there for a $70 piece. Cheap plastic and several minor flaws in the paint and my piece had one slight damaged area where a cord that attaches to the back of his gun was broken.

If you must have an ED-209 it is a heck of a lot cheaper than the Hot Toys one and it looks cool as hell, but with a $70 price you are going to feel like you got ripped off. As much as I like the toy I do.

Very next night, from another guy.

I'm an insufficiently_thoughtful_person again. Forgot to picture a number of items.

Includes Krulos (lizard leader) and one of the others (missing the snake guy). Also forgot to include the leg pieces.

These things are extremely fragile.

It still works electronically but not well.

Majority of it is complete, but I am missing some parts. Shouldn't be too hard now that I got this much of it.

IMG_2246_zps910bc633.jpg

Patrick

I friggin loved dino-riders! I watched the movie on VHS no less than 100 times.

Damn, that Slave I and the Robo-Cop piece are awesome!

I plan to post my "Micronauts" shortly.

Green, the Dino Riders are amazing toys. I cannot believe how many parts the big guys have. And the parts are fragile. How anyone kept these for so many years is amazing. But it's probably why they pull a lot of bread.

I also pulled Diplodocus from the same guy with most of the parts. Not as nice of shape. I'll probably sell it because it's mostly a duplicate of one that I have.

These are the Spinjas I was referring to:

Patrick

Bag of Green Army Men

Couple packs of firecrackers

Can of WD-40

One lighter

Let the good times roll.

Unfortunately this is what i did to most all of my toys. Joes, turtles, He-man, even my thundercats. I specifically remember using superglue to make my turtles bodies water tight, filling them up with gasoline, lighting a small fire behind them and blasting them with a BB gun. This eventually evolved into doing the same thing with aerosol cans.

Pro tip: When you see a can of barbesol rocketing off into the woods spewing flaming foam, just go ahead and call the fire department right then.