• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1st app Black Costume

28 posts in this topic

Was wondering what u guys think about the 1st appearance of Spidey's alien black costume.

The thing is the sketches for the costume first appeared in Marvel Age #12, which was published in march 1984. So that means 2 months before famous ASM 252 (published may 1984).

So, what do u think about it? Can those sketches be considered as the actual 1st appearance of Black Costume?

Oh and if any of you have Marvel Age 12 CGC'ed (highly doubt, but still), post it here! Would love to see notes by CGC.

How awesome he was there!

tumblr_ktfut3gdCp1qzvw5po1_500.jpg

I had 6 copies signed by both Mike Zeck and John Beatty.

2 9.8, 2 9.6 and 2 9.4s

All but one of the 9.8s (which I have in my collection) I sold on ebay.

The label reads drawings of black suit predates 1st apperance

For years....and years and years...Overstreet, for some bizarre reason, kept stating that Secret Wars #8 was the first appearance of the black costume...despite it having appeared in no less than 20 other comics printed prior to that Dec, 1984 issue, including Amazing #252, with a May, 1984 cover date.

Never understood why that was so difficult to fix.

For years....and years and years...Overstreet, for some bizarre reason, kept stating that Secret Wars #8 was the first appearance of the black costume...despite it having appeared in no less than 20 other comics printed prior to that Dec, 1984 issue, including Amazing #252, with a May, 1984 cover date.

Didn't they mean chronologically? (shrug)

Of course, but "funny book chronology" doesn't mean anything in the real world, otherwise some recent X-Men book showing Wolverine as a baby would suddenly shoot ahead of Hulk 181 as *the* key book for that character.

Of course, but "funny book chronology" doesn't mean anything in the real world, otherwise some recent X-Men book showing Wolverine as a baby would suddenly shoot ahead of Hulk 181 as *the* key book for that character.

I agree with you. Only thing I can think of in this case. Plus those spider-man books were all less than a year apart.