• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"The King is dead ,long live the King!"

44 posts in this topic

Great responses! All worthy of consideration!

But does anyone agree with my initial suggestion that Joe Kurbert is now the king?

(He's still creating for how many years, co created Hawkman and Sgt.Rock, written some great graphic novels and has a style that is his own, not to mention the artists that he has introduced to the field via his school!)

Personnally I like Mike Mayhew but I unfortunatly can't manage to purchase his art as I don't read much modern comics and have too much to deal with already ...

But I really see in Mayhew something you don't see in any other artists that come to my mind ...I wouldn't crown him the King though ...but would definitly nominate him as Knight of the Round Table !!! :takeit:

:preach:

Mike Mayhew does some nice art. His paintings and pen and ink are pretty much equal at least that's the way I feel. Some people have said they don't like his style because it's too photo realistic. I own one Mayhew. I don't really read much new super hero stuff. I like to pretend that the Marvel Universe ended with ASM 400 in the mid 90's. The piece I have is a cover with spider-Man vs. Green Goblin. I just pretend that the battle portrayed on the cover is a depiction of a battle that took place in the Silver or Bronze age. Green Goblin died almost 40 years ago and too me he is still dead despite the Marvel puts out.

Personnally I like Mike Mayhew but I unfortunatly can't manage to purchase his art as I don't read much modern comics and have too much to deal with already ...

But I really see in Mayhew something you don't see in any other artists that come to my mind ...I wouldn't crown him the King though ...but would definitly nominate him as Knight of the Round Table !!! :takeit:

:preach:

Mike Mayhew does some nice art. His paintings and pen and ink are pretty much equal at least that's the way I feel. Some people have said they don't like his style because it's too photo realistic. I own one Mayhew. I don't really read much new super hero stuff. I like to pretend that the Marvel Universe ended with ASM 400 in the mid 90's. The piece I have is a cover with spider-Man vs. Green Goblin. I just pretend that the battle portrayed on the cover is a depiction of a battle that took place in the Silver or Bronze age. Green Goblin died almost 40 years ago and too me he is still dead despite the Marvel puts out.

wouldn't agree more !!! This cover is gorgeous !!!! (thumbs u

Sheldon Mayer passed away in 1991.

Oh, yeah. That living requirement. Err... would you believe he's alive in my heart. :)

The OP only required that any nominee should have 4 of the 5 listed qualifications.

Sheldon Mayer still qualifies.

Sheldon Mayer passed away in 1991.

Oh, yeah. That living requirement. Err... would you believe he's alive in my heart. :)

The OP only required that any nominee should have 4 of the 5 listed qualifications.

Sheldon Mayer still qualifies.

Under those rules Jack Kirby is still the king! :acclaim:

As wonderful as some of the artists on this list are, the problem is you're looking for a new "KING". Even if you combine the talents and achievements of your three favorite artists on the lists above they still wouldn't even come close to what Kirby did for the medium. To me, this is an exercise in futility.

There was only one Jack Kirby. Only one King. The rest are only pretenders to the throne.

Blowout makes a good point so I consulted the rule book (don’t bother looking as I am the only one who has it !) and found that what is commonly referred to as the “Stan Lee Rule” (each nominee should have 4 of the 5 qualifications) doesn’t really exist! So with that in mind and with consideration to the numerous good nominees presented, I am kicking Stan Lee (and his “rule” ) off the list and revising my original order .So all the dead guys are out!

I now propose my new and final list and with the power invested in me( also in the rule book ,somewhere in the back , again don’t bother looking!)

I still proclaim Joe Kubert the current and reigning King with a revised list of Princes ( they should take his place in case he is unable to serve!)

King

Joe Kubert

Princes

Carmine Infantino

John Romita Sr.

Frank Miller

John Byrne

Knights

Steve Ditko

Neal Adams

Joe Simon

Alex Ross

Joe Quesada

Robert Crumb

If your guy didn’t make the list I apologize (Mike Mayhew?) but democracy never works when a King is involved!

I also agree with the “Collecting Fool” that there will never be another King like Jack Kirby and comparing all of these great artist's accomplishments only reinforces that fact.

I still proclaim Joe Kubert the current and reigning King with a revised list of Princes ( they should take his place in case he is unable to serve!)

King

Joe Kubert

Princes

Carmine Infantino

John Romita Sr.

Frank Miller

John Byrne

Knights

Steve Ditko

Neal Adams

Joe Simon

Alex Ross

Joe Quesada

Robert Crumb

2c 2c

i was going to stay out of this (an interesting discussion, tho), but i just can't see joe kubert as king, sorry.

hawkman and sgt rock just don't cut it for a breadth-requirement. i'm sure there's more he's done, and i think his art is great, don't get me wrong, but i think princely status is the limit there, bub. i can't let you have the last word with this proclamation :sumo:

i think you might also add as a requirement that have done substantial work at both DC & Marvel, or equivalently, at some established indie house...

imo, Quesada should be dumped from this list like a :censored:.

i would rather see mcfarlane or jim lee or JR JR in his place.

also, i don't see simon, ross and ditko; all great guys, but (besides asm) a stretch.

if romita, sr and infantino are there, i think you gotta put john and even sal buscema up there. although, all of these guys are pretty much specific to either DC or marvel (ok, i know some x-over, but not much).

also, where's kane, colan and maybe even cockrum? hm

rantrant

the others have certainly made an impression, but i think Byrne is the most suitable choice, having done major things at marvel & dc, although, having arguably, also brought both to controversial places.

miller is a nice choice, again, having shaken things up at both houses, and then made a significant splash into indie. but pretty singular events (e.g. DD and DK) at both, rather than byrne that touched almost everything at Marvel and DC.

miller is a nice choice, again, having shaken things up at both houses, and then made a significant splash into indie. but pretty singular events (e.g. DD and DK) at both, rather than byrne that touched almost everything at Marvel and DC.

You`re forgetting about Miller`s transformation of that other minor character, what`s his name, oh yeah, Wolverine. People forget that it was really the Miller Wolverine mini-series that catapaulted Wolverine into mega-stardom.

Miller to me is hands down the most influential artist/writer of the modern era (since Alan Moore doesn`t draw). His work on Dark Knight and Year One alone would probably give him that status, but combined with everything else he`s done, it`s no contest.

I like Byrne quite a bit, but the only part of his work that could be described as "transformational" was X-Men, and even there he was only taking over from Dave Cockrum and helping to make the team even more popular because his artwork was more accessible than Cockrum`s. His FF run helped to revive a flagging title, but it wasn`t transformational, and his run on Superman was ultimately disappointing.

Should crowning a KING also have a stipulation of current, not past relevance, so aside from being dead or alive physically, if their career is currently inactive, then are they truly currently ruling leaders?

Maybe the nominated should follow qualifiers of being RECENT (Having published acclaimed work within the last 4 years); RELEVANT (Popular to the masses and recognizable by most as a public and mainstream talent); and CONSISTANT (Not a one-hit-wonder, but who has a body of work and portfolio that is critically recognized.)

If that were the case, then who today would indeed be qualified?

What books on the shelves of the stores today has people talking today that will stand the test of time for the next 2-3 decaded and beyond? ...and who's creating 'em?

Byrne.

Created: Alpha flight, White Queen/Hellfire Club, Next Men (yes, There are fans who care), Dazzler, terminus, Terrax, Nova, many more I'm forgetting

Revitalized:

-Wolverine (a character he was the first to give a s**t about, Byrne plotted Logan into the forefront of most x-men story lines)

-Dr. Doom (had become a clown before Byrne took over FF and declared all pvs. crappy Doom stories to have been Doombots)

-She-hulk ( a bigger seller than Hawkman and Sgt. Rock combined)

-Superman (post crisis revamp, "Man of Steel" still considered one of the best ever Superman storylines)

I do think writers and artists could be separated. Totally different crafts, equally as important to one another, I'd almost say, look for a "pairing" teamed rather than an individual when seeking out current creative leadership in the industry.

Today, I do think right now the hot hands belongs to:

Geoff Johns

Other writers who consistently produce epic storylines in the recent past includes: Brad Meltzer (Infinite Crisis), Joss Whedon (Astonishing X-Men), Mark Millar (Civil War), Jeph Loeb (Hush).

As for artists, there's no single talent that's been truly remarkable outside of pure artistry and injecting outstanding creativity that I can honestly say deserves to be mentioned in the realm of Jack Kirby (and Stan Lee) that compares to the quality of work produced yesteryear. Lots of talent who draw nice pictures, but no one who's work has defined an era that seems like "Hall of Fame" material that can stand the test of time right now.

In regards to all the valid comments that my fellow board members have offered , I really think this “King” thing gets down to three possibilities after we drop some of the greats ,like Carmine Infantino, though they are still with us , just haven’t produced over the last few years.

That leaves what I consider the only three that could seriously be considered ,Kubert, Miller and Bryne.

I again feel that Kubert still has the edge over these other great talents as he has easily been in the field the longest since he started in 1942.

I also think there is a big difference between creating a character and revamping a character ,which both Byrne and Miller are known for.Kubert’s Hawkman and Hawkgirl are known by kids today and their parents via the Justice League cartoons. Both Hawkman and Sgt. Rock are more established than anything that John Byrne created(Dazzler?Terrax?)Also he was the Face of DC’s War books , continuing to offer covers and also as an editor if my memory is correct.

I will say that I continue to be blown away by Millers artwork on the Sin City books (equal to kubert) but his one dimensional writing, especially in regard to women (“She was a beauty ,tough as nails and twice as horny”) wears thin after a while.

In comparison I would offer Joe Kubert’s “Yossel“(2003) which could be the best graphic novel I have ever read. This book is not only an incredible peace of writing( What would have happened to Joe if his parents would not have escaped pre-war Poland) but hovers on sculptural. His choice of drawing stock paper and reproduced pencil drawings makes the reader think his is actually holding young Joe’s sketch book diary! This is mature writing and dwarfs anything that Miller or Bryne have ever done , and they have done some good stuff!

Kubert continues to write and draw, offering last years “Dong Xoai”and a couple of other trade /graphic novels in the last 10 years after “Fax from Sarajevo”(1995)which was also good.

Hey, we are all so lucky to enjoy the art of Miller, Bryne and Kubert and all the other great artists that have been mentioned here, but if we have to choose a King (and we really don’t have to,but it‘s fun!) I choose Joe Kubert