The Official Commission Collecting Thread
27 27

2,014 posts in this topic

1,454 posts

So I’m a little bit upset and thought I’d post to see if anyone else had similar experiences and if anyone has advice for me.

I’m new to commissions, and a couple weeks ago I commissioned an artist to do an 11x17 Full color/BG the whole she bang. $250. Before this I had only spent $75 on a commission so this is my first relatively expensive request. 

I love this artists’ work, and was very excited to ask for my own piece. Within a couple days the artist showed me two separate outlines for the piece and i was able to choose which one I liked best to be finished. When I saw the outlines I was a little underwhelmed, but figured since it’s not done it could still turn out great. It’s not that the outlines seemed effortless or ugly, they just didn’t click with me. But as I said, I wanted to give it chance. 

Couple weeks go by and I noticed the artist post what looks to be an almost done piece on Facebook. When I saw it I just didn’t like it all. I really wanted to. Really. And I’m mad at myself for not liking it. But it’s not clicking with me. Especially for $250 bucks. I can afford the piece, sure, but I don’t want to pay that much for something I don’t like, obviously. The artist didn’t take any $ up front so I haven’t paid anything. I also have only dealt with the artists representative, not the artist himself. 

If I had paid up front, I guess I’d have to take the L on that one, but since I haven’t...how to proceed? Of course I feel horrible that an artist spent so much time on the piece for me. But I can’t give that much for something I don’t like. 

Have you guys ever gotten a piece you didn’t like? That cost a lot? Did you pay up anyway? Should I be honest with the representative? I hate to be the guy that just doesn’t respond at all.

It just sucks that I’ve been so excited and then I see it and get disappointed. Maybe commissions aren’t for me. :frown:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
793 posts
20 minutes ago, punksdropdirtysrh said:

So I’m a little bit upset and thought I’d post to see if anyone else had similar experiences and if anyone has advice for me.

I’m new to commissions, and a couple weeks ago I commissioned an artist to do an 11x17 Full color/BG the whole she bang. $250. Before this I had only spent $75 on a commission so this is my first relatively expensive request. 

I love this artists’ work, and was very excited to ask for my own piece. Within a couple days the artist showed me two separate outlines for the piece and i was able to choose which one I liked best to be finished. When I saw the outlines I was a little underwhelmed, but figured since it’s not done it could still turn out great. It’s not that the outlines seemed effortless or ugly, they just didn’t click with me. But as I said, I wanted to give it chance. 

Couple weeks go by and I noticed the artist post what looks to be an almost done piece on Facebook. When I saw it I just didn’t like it all. I really wanted to. Really. And I’m mad at myself for not liking it. But it’s not clicking with me. Especially for $250 bucks. I can afford the piece, sure, but I don’t want to pay that much for something I don’t like, obviously. The artist didn’t take any $ up front so I haven’t paid anything. I also have only dealt with the artists representative, not the artist himself. 

If I had paid up front, I guess I’d have to take the L on that one, but since I haven’t...how to proceed? Of course I feel horrible that an artist spent so much time on the piece for me. But I can’t give that much for something I don’t like. 

Have you guys ever gotten a piece you didn’t like? That cost a lot? Did you pay up anyway? Should I be honest with the representative? I hate to be the guy that just doesn’t respond at all.

It just sucks that I’ve been so excited and then I see it and get disappointed. Maybe commissions aren’t for me. :frown:

That stinks...but to me you commissioned him to do a job and he did it, even let you have input into it. You have to pay up. If it happened to me I would probably just look to sell it and get as much out of it as I could after paying the artist and receiving it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,765 posts

I agree you saw the layouts and okayed it so it seems that you should man up and pay for it

 If it’s in a style different than the one the artist usually uses or something that deviate strongly that might be different

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 posts
46 minutes ago, punksdropdirtysrh said:

So I’m a little bit upset and thought I’d post to see if anyone else had similar experiences and if anyone has advice for me.

I’m new to commissions, and a couple weeks ago I commissioned an artist to do an 11x17 Full color/BG the whole she bang. $250. Before this I had only spent $75 on a commission so this is my first relatively expensive request. 

I love this artists’ work, and was very excited to ask for my own piece. Within a couple days the artist showed me two separate outlines for the piece and i was able to choose which one I liked best to be finished. When I saw the outlines I was a little underwhelmed, but figured since it’s not done it could still turn out great. It’s not that the outlines seemed effortless or ugly, they just didn’t click with me. But as I said, I wanted to give it chance. 

Couple weeks go by and I noticed the artist post what looks to be an almost done piece on Facebook. When I saw it I just didn’t like it all. I really wanted to. Really. And I’m mad at myself for not liking it. But it’s not clicking with me. Especially for $250 bucks. I can afford the piece, sure, but I don’t want to pay that much for something I don’t like, obviously. The artist didn’t take any $ up front so I haven’t paid anything. I also have only dealt with the artists representative, not the artist himself. 

If I had paid up front, I guess I’d have to take the L on that one, but since I haven’t...how to proceed? Of course I feel horrible that an artist spent so much time on the piece for me. But I can’t give that much for something I don’t like. 

Have you guys ever gotten a piece you didn’t like? That cost a lot? Did you pay up anyway? Should I be honest with the representative? I hate to be the guy that just doesn’t respond at all.

It just sucks that I’ve been so excited and then I see it and get disappointed. Maybe commissions aren’t for me. :frown:

You're seriously considering not paying? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,454 posts
38 minutes ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

That stinks...but to me you commissioned him to do a job and he did it, even let you have input into it. You have to pay up. If it happened to me I would probably just look to sell it and get as much out of it as I could after paying the artist and receiving it.  

 

33 minutes ago, Bird said:

I agree you saw the layouts and okayed it so it seems that you should man up and pay for it

 If it’s in a style different than the one the artist usually uses or something that deviate strongly that might be different

 

 

 

You guys are right...I know I have to pay up. If either of you want to see the art PM and I will show you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,454 posts
13 minutes ago, fenip said:

You're seriously considering not paying? 

No not “seriously” considering it. Was mildly for a moment because I was upset. But I know that’s not right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
793 posts
49 minutes ago, punksdropdirtysrh said:

 

You guys are right...I know I have to pay up. If either of you want to see the art PM and I will show you. 

Please- I would love to

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,144 posts
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, punksdropdirtysrh said:

 

You guys are right...I know I have to pay up. If either of you want to see the art PM and I will show you. 

I once commissioned a piece but didn’t apparently give the artist great directions. When I saw what she had done up to a point in time, I stopped her on the spot, paid her for the time she spent, gave her more money and better directions, and this time she got it right. 

The fault was yours for failing to act decisively when you had the chance. Artists follow your directions, and only act on their own if you give them the leeway. You only have yourself to blame unless the piece was not well executed (which can happen, but I think is rare).

Or, maybe you picked the wrong artist to execute your vision. That can happen, too.

I am curious what it looks like, too.

Edited by Rick2you2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
179 posts

I would just contact artist and his reps. Saying as you didn' pay up front. And you where not happy with the piece how it was turning out. If you can just pass on it. And allow said artist to sell it to some other buyer who may like it more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 posts

22x17 Mad Max Fury Road commission by Aaron Conley. Dude overdelivered. Always feels good when an artist and subject synch up well. I've yet to be let down on a commission from Felix's crew. 

Mad Max Fury Road Illustration.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,499 posts
Posted (edited)

I've been very lucky with my commission requests. I attribute it to my excellent art direction. Here are some examples:

Yep, it's the art direction (or maybe it's luck and choosing the right artists). :)

Edited by alxjhnsn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,144 posts
12 hours ago, jaykza said:

22x17 Mad Max Fury Road commission by Aaron Conley. Dude overdelivered. Always feels good when an artist and subject synch up well. I've yet to be let down on a commission from Felix's crew. 

Mad Max Fury Road Illustration.jpg

Someone really worked hard for you. Would it be impolite to ask what you paid for it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
179 posts

Hey all looking for some help. So in 2 weeks at nfcc show I am picking up a 9x12 commission on art board. So I want you put it in a top loader I plan to get prior to nfcc show. And I was curious being sketch is 9x12 for top loader what be best thickness of loader so sketch fits snug and not loose. As one place I been looking at only 9x12 are for magazines and that would be to thick and sketch be loose in that. Any help would be great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,144 posts
16 hours ago, Webhead2018 said:

Hey all looking for some help. So in 2 weeks at nfcc show I am picking up a 9x12 commission on art board. So I want you put it in a top loader I plan to get prior to nfcc show. And I was curious being sketch is 9x12 for top loader what be best thickness of loader so sketch fits snug and not loose. As one place I been looking at only 9x12 are for magazines and that would be to thick and sketch be loose in that. Any help would be great.

For protective purposes, I doubt it really matters. My personal preference is to put it in a top loader and then drop the top loader into an Itoya. That's not always doable because the largest Itoya's I can find are too small to hold the largest top loaders (and sometimes the piece won't fit into a top loader either).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
179 posts

Again I am getting a top oafer for this sketch what I was looking for was brand and what would be a good thickness size for art board drawing. So it be snug in the holder and not to loose. As I said above one brand I found for size was for thick magazines. So it be to thick due to being for magazines and be loose on the art work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
27 27